Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkc56

PK Server Changes - survey results

Background

As most everyone knows, there have been multiple posts over the last two years about how to make the PK Server better and draw in more people. The most recent such thread generated a long list of specific suggestions. Entropy told us to (and I quote from a forum PM to Handyman): "I can't read the whole thread, just make a post on the things everyone agrees on and give me the link."

The Survey

Handyman requested that I handle the actual survey. The forum polls did not have the capabilities I needed so I used a free survey site (http://www.surveymonkey.com/). Since it was to be a poll of the current players and what they wanted (or would accept), the link was only posted in-game. The survey ran for a week and received 32 responses.

The Winners

These are the ideas that received at least a simple majority (50%) vote, in order starting with the most popular.

71.9% - Add a choose server button when starting EL (tool is already implemented)

68.8% - Increase odds of finding/mixing rare stones and enriched essence

68.8% - Allow a 1-week (or month) free trial period

68.8% - Restore merc spawn (as a PK hot-spot)

62.5% - More equal promotion of both servers

56.3% - Remove the 5 person minimum for instances

53.1% - Increase chances of special #days

The Losers

Here are the rest of the idea that failed to get more than a 50% vote.

50.0% - Add cooldown and PvP experience in arenas only; make 1 or 2 no-rosto (allow drops)

43.8% - Raise a/d cap to 120

40.6% - Remove BoD and BroD

37.5% - Allow rare stones (binding, serpent, etc) and enriched essence to be purchased from shop

37.5% - Allow PvP experience

34.4% - Return TI/Steel armor and greater sword NPCs

34.4% - Remove or lowers minimum a/d for instances

31.3% - Allow attribute removal stones to be purchased from the shop

18.8% - Add cooldown to all items except food (fruits, veggies)

18.8% - Remove Dragon armors

18.8% - Remove nexus buying

18.8% - Remove attribute cap

18.8% - Make the Pk server a free server

18.8% - Make the first character per person free

18.8% - Increase the percentage for the evanescence perk (from 10% to 15% or 20%)

15.6% - Remove nexus removal stones

15.6% - Remove PKI feature

12.5% - Scale a/d experience based on OA or A/D so new players can catch up faster

9.4% - None of the above, the server is fine the way it is

3.1% - Remove multi-play (would require mods on the PK server)

Personally, I was surprised how low Cooldown ranked after all the talk and so many posts about how it would "fix" the PK server.

Analysis

Of the seven winning ideas, the most popular one was requested by Entropy some months ago and already exists. I'm hoping it will be rolled out with the next client update. Four would appear to be simply configuration changes (not server code changes): stone/enriched rates, merc spawn (we had this for a while after it was removed from main), instance 5-person minimum, and #day rate. The last two are a bit harder.

Equal promotion is not well defined. This could be changes to the web-site to improve the visibility that there are two servers to choose from. Other ideas may have to be developed.

The one week/month has been suggested before, but was dismissed because of the extra work involved. But I think if it's done monthly, it wouldn't be to bad. Treat is sort of like bot renewals:

1. Person PMs a request for a trial char to Entropy. One per person, new players to the server only.

2. Entropy enables the char and adds it to a dated list.

3. If the person likes the server, he pays for the character before the end of the month.

4. Once per month Entropy locks any unpaid characters more than a month old. It cost an extra $10 (plus the $5) or so to unlock a trial character that expired.

In Closing

So that's it. We've brain-stormed ideas, conducted a survey to vote, and presented the results. It's time for Entropy's input on the results. I'll forum PM him a pointer.

How many people voted in total?

If it's less than 200, you should continue to advertise the survey, and not take the current standings as final.

I for one haven't voted in it, link me plz.

How many people voted in total?

If it's less than 200, you should continue to advertise the survey, and not take the current standings as final.

I for one haven't voted in it, link me plz.

From Ent's point of view he wants to know what active pk server players have agreed on and that is what he now has.

If Ent wants to make a Pol to generate what non pk players would want then that will be up to him.

If you want to start your own Pol in the main server forums to see what non pk players would want then that is up to you

handy

P.s Thanks Bkc you organising this :)

Edited by handyman

:icon13: Let me get this straight.. you made a survey of what you thought would attract players, then you advertised it in game where people who were already playing the PK server could vote? :)

This doesn't make any sense to me. Wouldn't you want to be surveying people who don't play the PK server and asking them what would make the PK server more appealing?..

This doesn't make any sense to me.

As Handy suggested above, we collected the information Entropy requested. If he wants a different form of survey he will ask for it and we'll collect it. Your understanding is not one of the items that Entropy requested.

And I guess I'll add, everyone contributed to the list of potential changes in the forum posts here and the other site. The survey was to get agreement from the active players about which changes they wanted or would accept on the server. They're the ones who have to live with it.

Edited by bkc56

As Handy suggested above, we collected the information Entropy requested. If he wants a different form of survey he will ask for it and we'll collect it.

Lets hope, for the server's sake, he does.

I just can't understand why he even asked for a survey conducted in this way in the first place.

Remember, it's not just a lack of advertisement or accessibility to you server that's the sole issue, it used to have more active players than it does now; i.e. It doesn't retain players. As far as i'm concerned, this is basically proof that the current players wants are a niche, and thus their opinions should hold the least weight of any.

Might sound harsh, but it's a theory rooted in logic.

IMO ofc.

Well I could always post the link here so that all the PK server wanna-bees could vote too. My free account allows 100 people per survey. Another 68 votes would add in many/most of the non-players who would care to add their votes.

But I'm going to wait for Entropy's response before I do anything. And if I open it, the results would not be binding (unless Entropy requested a player+non-player result too).

As Handy suggested above, we collected the information Entropy requested. If he wants a different form of survey he will ask for it and we'll collect it.

Lets hope, for the server's sake, he does.

I just can't understand why he even asked for a survey conducted in this way in the first place.

Remember, it's not just a lack of advertisement or accessibility to you server that's the sole issue, it used to have more active players than it does now; i.e. It doesn't retain players. As far as I'm concerned, this is basically proof that the current players wants are a niche, and thus their opinions should hold the least weight of any.

Might sound harsh, but it's a theory rooted in logic.

IMO ofc.

On percentages the Pk server probably retains more players that the main server does

Explanation: Out of all the players that started the pk server in the past 6 months how many stayed compared to how many started the mains server and how many stayed there.

Making easier access to the server can only help

The list to choose from was made from suggestions that everyone contributed to

I personally would have liked to seen more votes on some of the questions that i believe would help Pk and also make the server more popular to the out side but we have done what Ent wanted.

Like i said if you want to run your own version using the results discussed the original thread but do it on the main forum. Then go for it as i agree a non bias result from any possible future player would be good, but if the thread just turns into more discussion and flames don't expect Ent to even read it

Handy

Thanks for posting the results.

The reason for making this poll for actual PK-server players... Those who don't PK-server will not know the consequences of their choices. They will vote but have no clue what they actually vote for... Those who do have given all points much more thought then the average other person and we have had discussion about those points, with input from main-players.

Why target the main-player-base when 80-90% of the voters wouldn't even try the server? (I think that is the approximate reality)

Edit: The exp/cooldown in arenas got 50% votes (rounded of course) so should be in the upper list right?

Edited by ProHibited

Thanks for posting the survey results

I think pro made possibly the most valid comment when he asked..

'Why target the main-player-base when 80-90% of the voters wouldn't even try the server? (I think that is the approximate reality)'

I like the try before you buy idea-

Anyways nice work

Mental

Edit: The exp/cooldown in arenas got 50% votes (rounded of course) so should be in the upper list right?

I also believe this would help with pk and attract more players also make the arena's popular on this server as they have no purpose at the moment.

This would also not effect mixers on this server.

Ent has the results now.

So the ball is in his court. If he wants to add his views and take into account what outsiders would want then i hope he conciders everything

Handy

These are the ideas that received at least a simple majority (50%) vote, in order starting with the most popular.

71.9% - Add a choose server button when starting EL (tool is already implemented)

Yes, I know it's a good idea, did you guys compile and play with that program yet?

Why? There are not too many players that are actually fighters, yes? And they all already have reasonable armor I guess.

No way, too much work for me. You can, however, offer to pay for people's membership.

Yeah, I can do that.

How?

Why? And with being allowed to have alts, why not just bring your alts to act as a filler?

The chance is already pretty high, no?

Yes, I know it's a good idea, did you guys compile and play with that program yet?

I did when it was under development (as a tester). It will be a great help for people starting the game and will do a lot to add visibility to the PK server. I hope it becomes official with this next client release.

Why? There are not too many players that are actually fighters, yes? And they all already have reasonable armor I guess.

I believe the goal here is to make replacement of broken items a bit easier, but still keep it to in-game mixing. Recently binding stones have been selling for 90K each which implies the supply is to low. It's a problem with EFEs too (but not as bad). Basically, I think we're asking for some supply/demand market balancing.

No way, too much work for me. You can, however, offer to pay for people's membership

It would be some extra work (as I outlined in my base-note). I don't suppose there's anyway to off-load some of that to a volunteer?

Yeah, I can do that.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see if it does result in more PKing in KF.

How?

This is a hard one. The server-chooser UI will help a lot. Without having specifics, I think some changes in the web-site could make it clearer that there are two servers. We could open a new thread just to discuss this one point and see what develops.

Why? And with being allowed to have alts, why not just bring your alts to act as a filler?

I'll let others address the justification for this.

The chance is already pretty high, no?

Again, I'm not sure, but I believe this was simply to create more variation. Keep things mixed up more. Others may have more thoughts to share.

Since it doesn't look like several of the above may not happen, let me add in one that got a 50% vote, but could be a good addition and trigger use of the arenas which I don't beleve are used at all right now:

50.0% - Add cooldown and PvP experience in arenas only; make 1 or 2 no-rosto (allow drops)

Since they aren't being used now, changing them won't hurt anyone, and might give people a new way to fight.

i just can agree that the chance of rares stones is realy hight, found 3 bindings, 2 removals, 1 rosto in a week or so...

I don't suspect your one data-point is statistically significant server-wide. I haven't found a binding or rost in months.

Getting back on topic here...

Yesterday there was a significant EL celebration on main; special #days, contests and invasions. Seemed like a pretty big deal (Celebrating El's 7th birthday). So what activities were done on the PK server as part of that celebration?

There are four people who can do invasions on the PK server. A couple I spent some time talking to and recruiting them to come have some fun doing invasions where they're really appreciated. When was the last invasion on the PK server? When was the last invasion that wasn't a 5-minute drop-and-run (that is, a managed invasions)?

How?

Perhaps we could start with simply not ignoring the PK server?

I don't know, just throwing ideas out here...

Edited by bkc56

Ok, well, at the next update the mercury should be there.

Also, I hid quite a few (100) binding stones in VOTD near the TG and NC entrances, and in TG near the VOTD entrance. This should make you all happy.

In an effort to not waste keys (help people find bags and not re-check the same areas over and over), here are the areas I checked.

VotD: 65-69, 12-20

(so the square within the bounds of 65,12 65,20 69,12 and 69,20)

Tars: 27-33, 258-266

(the square within the bounds of 27,258 27,266 33,258 33,266 minus a few spots where the rocks are)

Tars: 34,268-275 and 33,268-273

(so two lines of checking but stopped due to finding a bag)

VotD: 148-151,140-143

(a 4x4 square picked at random with my last 16 keys)

And I found 1 bag of 20 stones at Tars 33,273

I figured 1 bag per person is good so I did not buy more keys.

WTF over 2 years the people that have played this server have kept the market stable (Not like main)

In one night Radu has managed to ruin it

You just as well bring back the tit armor and great sword seller now with this many binding stones in game.

Or you famous tree that you can harvest gc from the last time you banged your head and threw a hissy fit

You could not even throw some decent events and maybe release one or two binding stones a week (no that would actualy meen doing some work for this server)

With 100 binding stones now in the game i could make a full set of dragon armor before the day ends.

Have you not read any of these posts on here?

Oh no i forgot

I

can't read the whole thread, just make a post on the things everyone agrees on and give me the link.

Good luck guys Have fun with yer new shiny blue stones

Handy

WTF over 2 years the people that have played this server have kept the market stable (Not like main)

In one night Radu has managed to ruin it

Bitch bitch bitch.

Democracy FTW.