Eternal Lands Official Forums
Fedora

3d map markers

Hello,

here is a patch that adds 3d map markers (you can turn them off under Options -> HUD).

Markers can be client side (normal ones, placed with #mark) or server sent. They should appear differently, the former as emeralds, the latter as rubies. Server sent markers are saved for each user and cannot be hidden.

elscreen036-1.png

To handle server markers there are two new protocol messages:

<SEND_MAP_MARKER id x y mapname text> --> id,x,y are short and mapname, text null terminated strings

<REMOVE_MAP_MARKER id> id is a short

Per Ent request the patch is not #def'd because it is mandatory for the next update. Also, the client side marker have been tested (briefly :)), I'm waiting for Ent to implement the server support and test the server side markers too.

P.S.

I should have write access to the cvs, but it is not working atm...while investigating, I post the patch here ^^

Edited by Fedora

Cool! This will probably open up some doors else than markers too. It may bring up the idea of using a server sent marker if your perception is good enough to notice something or if there will ever be a tracking skill or the ability to sense which direction your summons wandered off to. It could maybe allow the invasion indicators to say what direction the invasion monsters are in too. :)

Cool! This will probably open up some doors else than markers too. It may bring up the idea of using a server sent marker if your perception is good enough to notice something or if there will ever be a tracking skill or the ability to sense which direction your summons wandered off to. It could maybe allow the invasion indicators to say what direction the invasion monsters are in too. :)

Perhaps for summons, but not invasions. I like the idea of actively working together to find and repel an invasion.

This will be mostly used for quests (the server side markings). However, it would be interesting to allow players to send markings to others, some sort of temporary, session only markers.

The problem is, there must be a way for the players to chose who they get markers from.

This will be mostly used for quests (the server side markings). However, it would be interesting to allow players to send markings to others, some sort of temporary, session only markers.

The problem is, there must be a way for the players to chose who they get markers from.

Maybe limit the marker exchange to people on your buddy list. The mechanism for exchange could then also be included in the buddy list, much like the pm option now or through a right-click menu item.

Another thought I had is to allow it to go to people in the same chat channel, but only for channels above 1k, so that it could be used in instances, but not spam all people in the official invasion channel.

Looking forward to see this addition.

Just my two thoughts :)

Mixi

#send_mark <markname> <playername>

==> <playername> sends you marker <markname>. Type #accept_marker <markname> to add it.

#accept_marker <markname>

Unwanted marks just dont #accept, and spammers #ignore

:)

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

When someone sends you a map mark, it could show with a "view" and "save" link for people to click on. Does that sound likely? It would not be for an external link, but an EL link.

Ah....sending them fast during an invasion or perhaps when I try to help my guildmates track down a critter for a quest would certainly help things. CTRL+UP+ENTER and the person could get the updated location of the thing to kill. That would definitely be a useful addition.

Out of curiosity, would this be visible without extended camera being enabled?

edit: Like with arrows on the edge of the screen indicating direction?

Edited by Raytray

You can test the markers adding functionality at the NPC Lasud on the test server. The remove marker one is not working (small bug).

Ok, I committed the patch. Please test it and check if I destroyed the cvs :)

I had to draw 3d markers myself, it seems that adding objects to the map breaks some code I don't have enough time and courage to check :)

I made the markers look like the movement markers we already have, they just pulsate on size and color:

3dmarks-1.jpg

I tested the SEND_MAP_MARKER message, waiting for the remove message to be implemented too.

Are these markers the same #mark that appear in the tabmap?

Yes.

Green marks are placed with #mark, red marks are sent by the server (and appear as red text in the tab map, red cross in minimap, they can't be hidden as the green ones).

Did you try a marker in a spot where you can't see your feet because they are sunk into the mud/water/sand/grass?

I notice the right side of the right marker in the picture that Fedora posted is missing due to a rock.

I suspect that if you can't see your toes, you won't see your marker either.

Did you try a marker in a spot where you can't see your feet because they are sunk into the mud/water/sand/grass?

I notice the right side of the right marker in the picture that Fedora posted is missing due to a rock.

Yes, it's true. The marker is drawn at 0.02 over the z of the tile. If the tile has some object on it, you can't see the marker, but you can still see the text :)

If I disable depth test you can always see the markers, but it looks weird. A solution can be to draw some 3d shape in the place of the cross...suggestions are well appreciated :)

Yes, it's true. The marker is drawn at 0.02 over the z of the tile. If the tile has some object on it, you can't see the marker, but you can still see the text ;)

If I disable depth test you can always see the markers, but it looks weird. A solution can be to draw some 3d shape in the place of the cross...suggestions are well appreciated :)

Perhaps have a pole sticking up out of the X? Or even a pole with a flag on it?

I noticed that normal map marks now show up on the mini-map. Is this intended as I thought this was ruled out before? In any case, having them appear on the mini-map when the 3d-marks option is enabled could be confusing. Also the mini-map cross is now half the previous size and pinky-purple in colour. I find this much harder to see than before. Just some observations ;) .

I noticed that normal map marks now show up on the mini-map. Is this intended as I thought this was ruled out before?

whooops, I didn't know ;)

I'll change it to show a cross only for server sent markers ^^

Ok, committed to cvs. Now normal marks are not displayed in the minimap. Minimap cross is back to normal size. Also as Roja requested, server marks are now blue.