Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nathanstenzel

New help->skills->fighting paragraph to explain EL fighting

I am not sure if this should be here or in the encyclopedia subsection of the development section.

I think we should insert this as the second paragraph in the help->skills->fighting page.

Eternal Lands is not like other massively multiplayer online roleplaying games. We don't believe you gain true experience in actually killing a creature. We believe true experience comes from proving that you can fight a monster. If you fight a creature that is too weak compared to you, you will get less experience. If you fight a creature that is too strong compared to you, you are likely to break your armor and weapons and die. A quick kill will get you whatever stuff the creature may have, but it will give you less experience. A longer fight will give you more experience, but may be more dangerous.

Of course, that could perhaps use some condensing, but something like that should be put in as the second paragraph. I realized that the help section says nothing about this and so many people buy the best weapon they can buy and rob themselves of good a/d training.

I must say I like the idea, I see lots of new people training their att/def and use a sword while they do it. Maybe if they read that they understand that it isn't such a good idea to train with a weapon.

Horrible idea.

Figuring out that one gets the same exp per hit no matter how much damage they do isn't rocket science, anyone too stupid to do the simplistic math and catch on doesn't deserve the exp.

Edited by Korrode

Weeeell, the part where you break armors against higher monsters isn't so true because it's much about your attributes too. Good toughness and suddenly your augs last forever. Also the weapons breaking, well, don't they go when you hit and not when you are hit (unless broded) so higher monster saves you from weapon breaks(?)

Ofc the point is nice, but everything can't be put into that. The spawn time matters loads, you can serp double spawns etc. Being told to do something or not to do something limits your thinking in many cases, and if you stop using own brain it's a fail anyway.

Edited by Dugur

Horrible idea.

Figuring out that one gets the same exp per hit no matter how much damage they do isn't rocket science, anyone too stupid to do the simplistic math and catch on doesn't deserve the exp.

How many young players do you think we have? A young player or old, I have dealt with many newbs and they do not catch on that quickly. You just don't want competition from newbs.

In the past, you told me to get out of pk threads....some of which were not pk threads, but hijacked by you and your pker friends/foes. I will be nice enough to not ask you to stfu like you told me so many times that I can't count, but how about you give the newbs a break? OK?

Newb bashing might just limit your trade partners too. Bot bans for such things if newb training guilds get pissed at you.

This thing of "We don't believe you gain true experience in actually killing a creature." sounds too hippie. Its a game in the end, no creature gets killed when people play EL.

This thing of "We don't believe you gain true experience in actually killing a creature." sounds too hippie. Its a game in the end, no creature gets killed when people play EL.

Nonsense. Hippies would not promote torturing poor innocent creatures like we do. Hippies would say that if you have to kill it, make it quick and then you better damned well eat it. At least I think they would.

Horrible idea.

How many young players do you think we have? A young player or old, I have dealt with many newbs and they do not catch on that quickly. You just don't want competition from newbs.

In the past, you told me to get out of pk threads....some of which were not pk threads, but hijacked by you and your pker friends/foes. I will be nice enough to not ask you to stfu like you told me so many times that I can't count, but how about you give the newbs a break? OK?

Newb bashing might just limit your trade partners too. Bot bans for such things if newb training guilds get pissed at you.

Nathan, you truly have no idea how happy it makes me to see your response to my post.

As you read my reply, my reply that i have no good reasoning for, and that extreme annoyance built up in you, you learned exactly how i've felt so many times before when a non-PK'er has come and posted rubbish on a PK related thread.

Of course putting any and all information that could be useful in the in-game help is a good idea.

Even if it would only be needed by those who aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, it's still good to be there, as having those players stay and keep playing will of course in various ways enhance EL.

Read the bottom part of this post :D

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry513288

Horrible idea.

Nathan, you truly have no idea how happy it makes me to see your response to my post.

As you read my reply, my reply that i have no good reasoning for, and that extreme annoyance built up in you, you learned exactly how i've felt so many times before when a non-PK'er has come and posted rubbish on a PK related thread.

Of course putting any and all information that could be useful in the in-game help is a good idea.

Even if it would only be needed by those who aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, it's still good to be there, as having those players stay and keep playing will of course in various ways enhance EL.

Read the bottom part of this post :D

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry513288

Of course I was annoyed. You were bashing on the newbs.

Using my thread in a contest? oooooookkkkkkkkk then....

Yeah. Of course, I don't really care for you either. We're totally different. I try to help everyone I can and it has always seemed to me that the only person that you ever took into consideration when you post most of the time is you and your chances to kill or be killed. By the way, a number of those "pk related" threads actually are related to many things else than pk. Not sure if you actually notice when something isn't just pk related or not. You are always focused on the kill, after all.

Well, thanks for your eventual support of my idea here....even if you still couldn't resist the newb bashing.

it has always seemed to me that the only person that you ever took into consideration when you post most of the time is you and your chances to kill or be killed.

Well that's not the case, and i believe you'd have reached that conclusion due to regularly lacking full understanding of the subject i'd be discussing.

And i shouldn't have specifically mentioned "PK related", just as often it's people arguing against stuff related to training creatures they're no where near either.

Anyways....

I wonder who else would like something like this paragraph in the encyclopedia under skills or if anyone would be willing to give alternative wording if they do not like my wording.

I have to say I don't like it.

I'd like to see something in this game left for the player to actually figure out.

Not to mention there are too many factors involved to put them all into the encylopedia description.

You just don't want competition from newbs.

lol. Any player who will end up as a half-decent pker can figure out that more damage =/= more xp.