Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The_Piper

Client forces Windows XP to reboot.

Hi folks,

the new client for windows (0.98) forces after some minutes my windows XP to reboot. Sometime it happens after 5 minutes, sometimes after 50.

This happens on my two machines, so it seems not an installation problem.

#use_vertex_array = 0 on both machines.

Fixed one machine already, that was nasty ole LOVESAN. But the other one has no virus and crashed 5 minutes ago again (Windows XP home)...

Well, since no one else (that I am aware of) has this problem, most likely it's a problem on your machine.

Besides, EL doesn't have any code that shuts down the computer, so if XP totally crashes it's an XP fault.

Hmmm, shure, you havent coded a shutdown in the client ;-)

XP shuts itself down because a service (which seems to be TCP/IP relatet) terminates abnormally.

Will post the complete message the next time when i am on that windows machine. Maybe it helps.

Now im back on Linux. Works fine and stable there ;-)

Perhaps it's the new Sasser worm then? Remember that Windows machines are just fine as long as they're not connected to the internet ;-)

I dont think so, wytter.

I updated my virus scanner and let him analyze the whole disc. And he found nothing...

I can browse web sites for hours on that machine but if i start EL client, it crashes.

Maybe i should install a file sharing tool to see if this machine is having problems with bigger load than only browsing.

Guest never69

maybe i have the same problem... i loose connection and i can't reconnect to game . explorer doesn't connect... i must restart computer

Guest never69

i don't know ... it happens 5- 20 minutes after i log in... i can play only for 5-20 minutes then i must restart computer...

I've noticed that EL crashes (almost immediately) if I run it with an XP account that isn't an administrator. I haven't investigate it at all, probably a file system security issue, but just thought I'd mention it.

The XP requiring and account is because EL needs to write to some of the files in the folders. If you installed EL in a folder that is part of a players public folders, you should be able to allow other accounts to use it.

On other Windows crashing issues ... are the people crashing using #storage and having over 50-52 items in storage? A bug has been identified where that can overwrite memory and how it would affect windows is unknown.

Might I mention that anyone with any brains should NOT be using XP?

With the exception of Windows ME, XP has the most problems (Me has fewer problems actually, they just weren't intended problems, XP was purposfully meant to be difficult to use under certain circumstances)

I would suggest ditching XP and going with Windows 2000, which is MUCH more stable. For those that got XP before realizing how bad it is (or got stuck with it some other way) and can't upgrade to 2000 (it is expensive), I suggest getting Linux, which is cheaper and better than Win 2000 in some ways. Then partition the hard drive into two parts, one for Linux and one for the stupid XP. Use Linux whenever possible, and use the XP for whatever doesn't run on your version of Linux.

For a detailed discussion on the problems of Windows XP, look at my new post in the off topic area.