Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Vote for EL Linux packages

Linux package survey  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like EL packages for your Linux distribution?

• No thanks, I'll stick with the current zip files
    • No thanks, I build my own client from CVS + zip files
    • Yes please Ubuntu (or flavor)
    • Yes please openSUSE
    • Yes please PCLinuxOS
    • Yes please Fedora
    • Yes please Mint
    • Yes please Mandriva
    • Yes please Debian
    • Yes please some other Distro
    • I don't use Linux for EL now and don't plan doing so in the future

Just tested the packages, they worked great.
Great, thanks for testing.

The only other thing i can suggest is a single .deb package on the main EL downloads page that is the current version of the game, binary and data.
I split the files deliberately so that the relatively small client package could be updated independently from the data. That way we can efficiently release updates. I think that's they way it should be, especially as the package dependencies can automatically install one package when the other is selected.

Although the steps you gave above are very easy, adding a single .deb package that people can just download, double-click, and click "install package" is still a good idea, imo... brings it to the Windows level of ease of software installation.
You need to add the sources line so that all the packages can be found and so that future updates, can automatically be made available. You have a good point though. I gave the full GUI process so that people could see what was happening. I'll think what I can do. A simple install script would be easy but made harder by having to mess with permissions. My current thought is to produce a tiny control package that does the source set-up then installs the other packages. That way the whole thing can be automated with a single download and undone just as easily if the user wishes.

...also, i assume a slight performance increase can be expected VS the release binary due to the use of system libraries that are (potentially) more optimised than the ones included in the static binary?
Possibly, at least you get a version build for your OS. Thanks for the feedback and seeding more thoughts.....

Thanks BLUAP!!! I installed it last night via aptitude and it works great. I placed a shortcut on the desktop and it's clickable. :)

I will still use the zip files/or CVS build, but I think it's a good ide to have packages for the most populare distros. Seems like a few started playing it after finding it Gentoo's portage. I first found it while browsing the Gentoo forum, but never used the portage though.

Found it from LinuxFormat too. There was a nice screenie of linuxgirlie fighting gobs! :) BTW, where did she go?

She left us for a while but she's back now with a different name, we dont see her much though but she pops in from time to time.

Thanks for your work bluap. I downloaded and installed the packages with no hassle, but the packaged version won't start because it seems it can't find the data files, although I specified an absolute path in .elc/el.ini: I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, any idea?

I split the files deliberately so that the relatively small client package could be updated independently from the data. That way we can efficiently release updates. I think that's they way it should be, especially as the package dependencies can automatically install one package when the other is selected.

IMHO this is a very good idea: first application could be a dynamic library-based built executable, as Korrode suggested.

Rehdon

Thanks for your work bluap. I downloaded and installed the packages with no hassle, but the packaged version won't start because it seems it can't find the data files, although I specified an absolute path in .elc/el.ini: I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, any idea?
Are you running the client using the installed icon in "Applications->Games"? That runs a wrapper script that checks your data_dir path and offers to fix it if its not pointing to your installed data.

Are you running the client using the installed icon in "Applications->Games"? That runs a wrapper script that checks your data_dir path and offers to fix it if its not pointing to your installed data.

Yes, but I chose not to fix it (I have custom maps and executables in my zip-based installation, easier to make links and add stuff when you work with dirs and files in your home), shouldn't it work anyway as long as you point to the data_dir path of another working installation? :P

Rehdon

Yes, but I chose not to fix it (I have custom maps and executables in my zip-based installation, easier to make links and add stuff when you work with dirs and files in your home), shouldn't it work anyway as long as you point to the data_dir path of another working installation? :P
Yes it should. Did you really edit the file ".elc/el.ini" as you described? That's the wrong file. You need to change "~/.elc/main/el.ini" or replace "main" (the default) with the server config your are using.

Yes it should. Did you really edit the file ".elc/el.ini" as you described? That's the wrong file. You need to change "~/.elc/main/el.ini" or replace "main" (the default) with the server config your are using.

Just to be sure I changed both of them :P but I finally discovered and fixed the problem: data_dir is set twice in the el.ini file! After I commented out the second instance the program started fine.

But are all those el.ini/.cfg files spread in different places (three, counting the program base directory) really needed? Same question for the double data_dir line :(

Anyway, thanks a lot bluap, and sorry for wandering off-topic (hope somebody may benefit from my findings though).

Rehdon

Just to be sure I changed both of them :P but I finally discovered and fixed the problem: data_dir is set twice in the el.ini file! After I commented out the second instance the program started fine.

But are all those el.ini/.cfg files spread in different places (three, counting the program base directory) really needed? Same question for the double data_dir line :(

It's all a bit complex: The file "~/.elc/el.ini" is no longer used, only "~/.elc/<server>/el.ini" files are important. If none of these files exist, the client attempts to use one from the current directory. If that is not the data directory, then the client will fail to start. If it was the data directory, a new "~/.elc/<server>/el.ini" is created. Problem is that data_dir may not be set properly even now. Final point, if multiple data_dir settings exist in an el.ini file, only the last will be used.

These new packages sort all this out; the path comes pre-configured correctly (the browser setting too - thanks Vegar). The wrapper script will offer to fix broken el.ini files too. :(

I realize you and may others (me too) have extra tabmap files in your data directories. I'm thinking of suggesting a client change so that these files, although not officially supported, can be put into your ~/.elc tree somewhere so that they don't get mixed up with the released files....

Edited by bluap

You can install it debian way under ubuntu ;) Just add line deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pjbroad/ubuntu hardy main to file /etc/apt/sources.list .

sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list

Then install package:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get instal eternallands.

Somehow this seems faster to me even though it does exacly the same thing as synaptics.

I guess i'll leave my el as it is to next client update.

Well, I've racked my brains to think of a better, quicker way to do the initial install but I've come back to downloading an install script. Linux is just too good at protecting users from downloading executable code. ;)

So here is a working install script. (Edit point to Ubuntu help page)

Instructions to use:

Left click the install script link, when prompted, save to your desktop.

When downloaded, right click the icon and select "Properties".

From the "Permissions" tab, set the execute flag then click "Close".

When that is done, double click the icon and click "Run in Terminal".

If anyone has any simpler ideas, let me know. The "method" has to do two things, add a software source, then install one of the packages.

You can install it debian way under ubuntu :)....Somehow this seems faster to me even though it does exacly the same thing as synaptics.
Indeed you can, and indeed it is, but I was hoping not to scare away those not happy using the command line (which I use all the time BTW). ;)

Edit: get the install script form the Ubuntu help page.

Edited by bluap

Well, I've racked my brains to think of a better, quicker way to do the initial install but I've come back to downloading an install script. Linux is just too good at protecting users from downloading executable code. :)

So here is a working install script. Sorry for the advert laden site.

Instructions to use:

Left click the install script link, when prompted, save to your desktop.

When downloaded, right click the icon and select "Properties".

From the "Permissions" tab, set the execute flag then click "Close".

When that is done, double click the icon and click "Run in Terminal".

If anyone has any simpler ideas, let me know. The "method" has to do two things, add a software source, then install one of the packages.

You can install it debian way under ubuntu :)....Somehow this seems faster to me even though it does exacly the same thing as synaptics.
Indeed you can, and indeed it is, but I was hoping not to scare away those not happy using the command line (which I use all the time BTW). ;)

If you need a place to host this stuff, give me a shout. There's plenty of room on el.beplacid.net. Those media hosting sites suck ;)

If you need a place to host this stuff, give me a shout. There's plenty of room on el.beplacid.net. Those media hosting sites suck ;)
Ooh, that sound like an offer I can't refuse. Thanks Placid. ;)

Installed through synaptics and executed on my Ubuntu 8.4. It's works impeccably :w00t:

Keep up the good work, bluap :icon13:

I was wondering a bit about a small detail though. I had an old installation installed in another directory, but they used the same user directory (in /home). I ran the suggested wrapper script and when I tried the game, I realised that the font for the names in game had been changed, but all other el.ini settings seem to have been transfered as expected. I was just using the standard font before and now it changed to Type 3 font 2... :)

Installed through synaptics and executed on my Ubuntu 8.4. It's works impeccably :laugh:
Great, thanks for testing.

I was wondering a bit about a small detail though. I had an old installation installed in another directory, but they used the same user directory (in /home). I ran the suggested wrapper script and when I tried the game, I realised that the font for the names in game had been changed, but all other el.ini settings seem to have been transfered as expected. I was just using the standard font before and now it changed to Type 3 font 2... :o
The packages were build from the latest CVS. That includes a font ordering bug fix from Vegar. This bug was defiantly as issue on Ubuntu 8.04. I presume this is what you are seeing.

Just so people know, Ubuntu 7.10 versions of the package files are available from the same source as the 8.04 packages. Use the same install method but substitute gutsy for hardy in the software sources line. Alternately, use the install script which will automatically detect your Ubuntu version. Do people want older versions than this?

Edited by bluap

ok this works great. just one question how do i log on to the pk server with this set up.
Create a copy of the icon by dragging it from the "Applications->Games" menu and dropping it on your desktop or on your panel. Then right-click the new icon and select properties. In the command box of the icon properties (thats under the launcher tab for a desktop icon), add " pk" to the end of the command, that's a space and the letters "pk" without the quotes. I'd also change the icon text to remind you which server will be used. Alternately, open a terminal and type "eternallands pk", again without the quotes and press return. Edited by bluap

Create a copy of the icon by dragging it from the "Applications->Games" menu and dropping it on your desktop or on your panel. Then right-click the new icon and select properties. In the command box of the icon properties (thats under the launcher tab for a desktop icon), add " pk" to the end of the command, that's a space and the letters "pk" without the quotes. I'd also change the icon text to remind you which server will be used.

The only remaining problem is that even after u adjust the actual command and change the name of the desktop icon, the actual launcher file will still be called "eternallands.desktop", thus when you try to make a second icon for the normal server or the test server by using the same 'dragging from the menu' method, it will want to overwrite your PK server launcher.

So, after completing bluap's instructions, also open a terminal and do this:

mv ~/Desktop/eternallands.desktop ~/Desktop/eternallands-pk.desktop

(idk off the top of my head where the panel launcher files are stored, but if you're going to place multiple EL launchers in the panel, i assume you'll need to rename those too)

Edited by Korrode

The wiki page is a really nice addition and will encourage a lot of people to try EL, moreover if it can be installed easily with packages or a script. Great job! :)

Debian lenny packages are now available for i386 (the only platform I can currently build for Debian).

To installed, become root then:

1) Add the line "deb http://www.twinmoons.org.uk/pkg/debian ./" to "/etc/apt/sources.list"

2) Update your sources "aptitude update"

3) Install the packages "aptitude install eternallands"

These package should also work on etch if you have allowed access to lenny packages too. You need at least libcal3d12 which is only available in lenny.

You did a great job, bluap. The EL binary from your deb archive runs better than the one I compiled, so I definitely switched :medieval:

Wrt Ubuntu: if you manage to add EL to the installable apps under the Applications menu, no installation script would be needed. Of course this would require the EL deb to be accepted in the multiverse repository, I don't know if that is feasible.

Lastly, it would be nice if there was a way to integrate custom elements (maps, sounds) in the installation, but I wonder how that could be accomplished.

Thanks a lot.

Rehdon