Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DogBreath

Books to ashes

Ty for the great (disturbing) picture and information. And, while I'm quite aware of this, I assume most people playing this game weren't alive in 1933. I certainly wasn't (not to mention the fact that you'd have to be nearly 80 or 90 to actually remember this happening.) This profane act of history was intended to exterminate knowledge and growth, by eliminating books. I'm mearly suggesting buring spare copies that are not needed.

This still doesn't address the fact that we're quick to overlook the daily reenactment of many of our dark portions of the past in this game as well as performing acts in the game that many people would feel are grotesque and intollerable, yet this one seems to be a sore spot.

Edited by Josi

A bit offtopic, but I remember sitting on Roanof Island with Wytter when it was still unaccessible.. and he made the fire pit there special.. you could put a book on it and burn it :o I think we burned 20 gen axes books :P (back when gen axe books were 500k each!).

Your crazy! :w00t:

I think this idea isn't bad, if it's properly balanced. You shouldn't get more gc worth of ash than the book was worth, it would be bad for people just sitting at NPC with FE's burning books for money, really stupid. IMO it should only be used when you do have some spare books that won't be sold and you just say "Why not?"

I agree, it would need to be balanced in such a way as to not make it more worth while than making ashes in the first place, just an alternative method and a good way to dispose of spare books.

A bit offtopic, but I remember sitting on Roanof Island with Wytter when it was still unaccessible.. and he made the fire pit there special.. you could put a book on it and burn it :o I think we burned 20 gen axes books :P (back when gen axe books were 500k each!).

I find it interesting when people are using a bad jokes, still only the JOKE, as a good idea for gameplay.

I find it interesting when people are using a bad jokes, still only the JOKE, as a good idea for gameplay.

As I recall, there's an entire portion of the game based on jokes and humor, and an option to turn humor on and off. I don't see an issue with adding a little humor to the game, or expanding one of those humorous ideas into something useful.

I have yet to figure out how burning books is funny or fun...

Either way, if you post an idea, you have to allow for opinions both for and against.

easily abused.... i take my 1 mil gc (i'm speaking figuratively) and buy mass of 1 book... #reset get pure will and all negs

sit in 5x read room finishing books i need in 2 mins each.. = mega exp in like 1 hour

lets see

All negs = 50pp with some normal oa =~ 56will = 30 Rationality

In fast read area thats 150 pages per minute = 9k exp/per hour

not so much

and after all you need second #reset becouse of this perks so loose also all earned oa.

There is lots of faster and cheaper ways to get exp (like making le in alch school, or polishng gems in craft school) that don't need double #reset.

I have yet to figure out how burning books is funny or fun...

Either way, if you post an idea, you have to allow for opinions both for and against.

I agree, anyone is more than welcome to voice their opinion, both for and against. I would never suggest they can't :hug:

I also see no harm in offering rebuttal to those opinions. That's the whole basis of discussion, point and counter point.

easily abused.... i take my 1 mil gc (i'm speaking figuratively) and buy mass of 1 book... #reset get pure will and all negs

sit in 5x read room finishing books i need in 2 mins each.. = mega exp in like 1 hour

lets see

All negs = 50pp with some normal oa =~ 56will = 30 Rationality

In fast read area thats 150 pages per minute = 9k exp/per hour

not so much

and after all you need second #reset becouse of this perks so loose also all earned oa.

There is lots of faster and cheaper ways to get exp (like making le in alch school, or polishng gems in craft school) that don't need double #reset.

While I'm not sure I have an opinion on this idea, one way or the other, should we seperate this into two different suggestions? This way we won't get the two different ideas confused? :cry:

Edited by Josi

I just wanted to note I wasn't for this idea, because it doesn't really add much to the game.

I also think the idea behind it was innocent enough, but a lot of people definetly overreacted to this thread. I don't know about Josi, but where I am from, the idea of burning books doesn't offend people much. I was told that this is still an issue in other places in the world, and to be honest, I was never really informed about such was still going on.

Everyone has to realize that every single person can't know everything that is going to offend someone. You can't expect people to know everything about other cultures in the world.. so for those who overreacted, maybe it would have been better explaining the situation rather than just flat out bitching.

Well i think i have to apologise, i overreacted for a game

but i think we have to keep certain standards in our life and not return back 70 years or to dark ages even as an idea for a game

I think its the most common mistake ppl make is that *forgeting*

but i think we have to keep certain standards in our life and not return back 70 years or to dark ages even as an idea for a game

I think its the most common mistake ppl make is that *forgeting*

I must agree, and I think to lend some healing to the wounds I may have opened on this topic, I'll just abandon it.

I'm not sorry I had the idea, or even that I suggested/supported it. But, I am truely sorry for any feelings that I hurt in the process... That was not my intent. I just wanted to help improve the game.

Edited by Josi

Good idea, might be a reason to carry some fe's when u train ogre/fluff or something else that drops alot of books, to open up some slots, instead of just dropping the book when ur inv is full... and while we are it it, why not throw jezebelle and kheres onto the pile of burning books for being disillusioned idiots who cant seem to discern between real life and EL ... grow up or shut up :)

Good idea, might be a reason to carry some fe's when u train ogre/fluff or something else that drops alot of books, to open up some slots, instead of just dropping the book when ur inv is full... and while we are it it, why not throw jezebelle and kheres onto the pile of burning books for being disillusioned idiots who cant seem to discern between real life and EL ... grow up or shut up :)

Glad to hear your opinion.

<edit>

Oh, I treat your words as a personal insult. Not attack or anything else. Personal insult.

Edited by Kheres

Glad to hear your opinion.

<edit>

Oh, I treat your words as a personal insult. Not attack or anything else. Personal insult.

Well, even tho I respect other people's opinions.. I decided to read through this thread and I have to say, I do find it ridiculous to be so upset about "hey, let's burn some pixels who make the picture of a book."

No, I'm not very much a reader in RL, in fact, I hate reading so much, I'll only do it when at school I'm supposed to do a book report and even then I'm likely not to do it and just get some text from the internet.

Therefor, I have a bit of a difficulty to understand you're so upset about this. Ok, agreed that you like to read... but to get upset about "burning pixels" only because those pixels form the picture of a book?

So sorry, I don't understand that.

But on the other hand, I don't just wanna break you down with my personal opinion about books, I do admit st_arcane could've been "slightly" more polite in expressing his opinion on the idea.

About the idea itself. I don't think it's such a bad idea, some people may like the bit of exp more then the few GCs the book NPC in NC gives for them. Tho I don't think I'd personally ever make use of it.

I also liked Kedrigern's idea on it. In fact, I like that one better then the original idea. Gives you a chance to get some extra exp in another skill... slowly, but some. :wub:

-Blee