Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chatterbug89

gone

Sometime this morning the powere died at my house and I was, unfournately, asleep when it happened. Due to the power outage my faithfull "ChrisBox" was powered down and thus ruining it's uptime. If I had been up, I could have powered down the other computers to save chrisbox and let it live a littler longer, but I wasen't there for it. (I have two UPS's)

Chrisbox faithly served me and has hosted one of my websites for about 708 days straight, without ever being powered down. It came so close to have an uptime of two years, but just barely missed it.

Chrisbox is now back up, faithfully hosting my website, but no longer has its wonderouse uptime. However, I, and everyone here, will always remember Chrisbox as the server that almost made two years.

Chrisbox and I go way back. It all started in the basement of a computer store where a bunch of junk computers were piled up, many of them broken. I picked two computers out of that pile that day, Chrisbox and Slackbox, and I knew that we would have a very loving relationship.

Slackbox runs Slackware while Chrisbox runs LFS (Linux From Scratch)...however, Chrisbox ....I can't go on..it's just so sad that the uptime is ruined :-(

However...there is some irony to this. The computer that I got out a junk heap in the basement of a computer store for free has been more reliable than most servers that you could buy today. What does this tell you?

I feel your pain.

A few years back, I had a server running on FreeBSD (something like 3.2) and it had an uptime approaching two years, which then got shutdown when some twit pulled out the wrong plug by accident. Strangely enough, it was also a freebie put together from pieces from neighbourhood dump days (a pentium 90 or something).

Gratz on the two years ;)

S.

That sucks.

My servers hard drive Died today :) luckly i knew the ard drive was starting to die so i made a back-up on another hard drive days ago ;)

Aww, so sad.

Speaking of uptime, the EL server has 204 days of uptime (ever since we got it last fall).

10:05AM up 204 days, 15:45, 6 users, load averages: 0.22, 0.23, 0.14

Sadly, the uptime will be reseted soon, to recompile the clinet with multi cpu support.

Damn that's a sad thing to lose...anyone have a Windoesn't box that comes remotely close to that sort of uptime?

According to Wikipedia, the record uptime is:

"The Uptime-Project, until 1st March 2007, collected data on uptimes from users, and the current record for longest uptime is 6 years, 98 days, 12 hours, 6 minutes and 44 seconds on a computer running SunOS 5.6."

Out of interest, what are the specs of your LFS box (including kernel etc)?