Eternal Lands Official Forums
Foehammer

Can't connect to server. [CLOSED]

I got some viruses on the computer I usually play on, so I'm trying to play from this one. The problem is, it can't connect to the server.

Uh, my error log (nothing in there seems relevant, but I'm not good with computers).

Log started at 2006-11-02 16:28:49 localtime (Central Standard Time)

[16:28:52] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[16:28:52] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates132/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

Last message repeated 1 time

[16:29:04] Client closed

What the error is = Can't connect.

Processor Speed = ~2793 Mhz

RAM = (I'm guessing this means Total Physical Memory when I use the thing Chance showed me cause 512 sounds close).

Total Physical Memory = 512.00 MB

Available Physical Memory = 51.33

Graphics Card = Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

Hard drive space (In GB)

Version of Eternal Lands running = 1.3.2

Operating System and version = Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Contents of error_log.txt = up above

EDIT: If I forgot something let me know.

EDIT2: I forgot to mention that it says "Can't resolve server address.

Perhaps you are not connected to the Internet or your DNS server is down!" not "couldn't connect to server"

Edited by Foehammer

Are you connected to the internet, can you browse websites with your browser?

Is there a firewall on that comp which blocks port 2000?

Do you use a router which maybe blocks port 2000 too?

Piper

hehe, of course I'm connected to the internet. ;p

Uh, as for the firewall, I've allowed exceptions for both port 2000 TCP and el.exe, no dice. I've even tried disabling my firewall and then trying it.

and as far as I know, I'm not behind a router. But the computer I usually play on is, and I could still connect.

IEDIT2: I forgot to mention that it says "Can't resolve server address.

Perhaps you are not connected to the Internet or your DNS server is down!" not "couldn't connect to server"

Then it is most liekly a problem at your end, either with your ISP or with your computer. (To me it sounds like a router problem..)

if the problem persists you could try to uninstall the game and install it again, thus removing any "custom" settings or whatever you might have.

If you still can't connect, contact your ISP and explain your problem to see if they can help you in any way. If they can't, then post here again :blush:

Firewall: You do not open port 2000 on your PC - you are not the game server and your PC does not need to open port 2000.

Disable the firewall entirely and try playing the game. If that works go and look at your firewall settings for el.exe again.

Firewall: You do not open port 2000 on your PC - you are not the game server and your PC does not need to open port 2000.

I don't get it. >.>

Disable the firewall entirely and try playing the game. If that works go and look at your firewall settings for el.exe again.

Uh, as for the firewall, I've allowed exceptions for both port 2000 TCP and el.exe, no dice. I've even tried disabling my firewall and then trying it.

I've tried it, but I suppose you know computers better than I do, so I'll try again.

#edit: Nope, I'm trying what Derin suggested right now, so I hope it works. :P

#edit2: Reinstalling didn't work, my ISP's office is closed right now for the holiday, so I'll try tomorrow.

Edited by Foehammer

EDIT: If I forgot something, or if you can tell me how to find RAM/Processor Speed, please, let me know. :>

EDIT2: I forgot to mention that it says "Can't resolve server address.

I don't recall offhand if this is in Windows XP Home but try start menu > run > msinfo32

most newer machines will have all that info there. There are lots of other ways but that's a simple way of grabbing that information.

Regarding the "Can't resolve server address." message, that means that your client is unable to even tell where it has to send messages to. There could be a few reasons for this but I need some sleep so: you can try editing your el.ini file to point directly to the server address.

Change #server_address = game.eternal-lands.com

to #server_address = 62.93.225.47

It may or may not help depending upon what the specific issue is. If it does not help, change the address back to game.eternal-lands.com so you don't end up with a non-standard configuration while trying to troubleshoot.

Have tried unistalling+reinstalling a few times, and I get different error logs.

Fresh one:

Log started at 2006-11-12 17:08:55 localtime (Central Standard Time)

[17:08:55] Could not read help.xml
[17:09:02] Unknown shirt color "augmented"
[17:09:02] Unable to find id/property node shirt
[17:09:13] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates132/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com
[17:09:14] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"
[17:09:14] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates132/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com
[17:09:25] Client closed

edit: have unistalled+reinstalled twice, but still get same error.

edit2: Forgot to mention, changing server address didn't work.

Edited by Foehammer

I STILL have the same problem as described (as I've posted about in other thread too for months ago) and I guess there's just no solution to the connection problem. My ISP says that 2000 is open for all gaming, I have no firewall blocking, no anti-virus software running, nothing that should block the game, my error log is blank. I know my password is correct since I can with no problem login on test server 2001. This is making me very frustrated, especially since I've spend 50 dollars on a dragoni char and now no longer is able to play :icon13:

So frustrating ....

Coffeehunger

Uhm coffee...

did you download the latest client and tried it?

Because while you were gone, we have a new server address, game.eternal-lands.com.

So if you try it with your old installation, you can try until hell freezes over, the old server is gone. ;)

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

Uhm coffee...

did you download the latest client and tried it?

Because while you were gone, we have a new server address, game.eternal-lands.com.

So if you try it with your old installation, you can try until hell freezes over, the old server is gone. :P

Piper

Yes Piper I uninstalled, downloaded new client and installed ... did all the right things (double checked IP as you said, even tried with the numbers instead of the name) Also to make sure that port 2000 is open as my ISP claims it is, I tried changing Skype to only run on port 2000 and it's working perfectly. That is the only other program I have to test it on where I can easily change port use.

Coffeehunger - open for new ideas

Hmm.. somehow i doubt that port 2000 works for you......

Try this:

Start button / Execute / type there cmd to open the dos box.

In the dos box type

telnet the-green-leaf.de 2000

Can you see the welcome message of a mud server or do you get any error messages?

Piper

Hmm.. somehow i doubt that port 2000 works for you......

Try this:

Start button / Execute / type there cmd to open the dos box.

In the dos box type

telnet the-green-leaf.de 2000

Can you see the welcome message of a mud server or do you get any error messages?

Piper

after typing in what you say I just get a blank screen, no message at all :P

And the same when you type what Entropy said, i would guess.

Type: telnet game.eternal-lands.com 2000[enter]

Then Port 2000 *IS* blocked. On your computer by a firewall or such, or by your ISP or somehow else on the way from your computer to the EL server or my server.

Piper

Excuse my noobish-ness, but is this directed at me also? Because I get the MUD server from The_Piper's server thingy, and the EL starting message when I type in what Entropy said.

Excuse my noobish-ness, but is this directed at me also? Because I get the MUD server from The_Piper's server thingy, and the EL starting message when I type in what Entropy said.

Yes, that means, you can connect to port 2000. So your problem is different than CoffeHungers problem.

And since the telnet command to game.eternal-lands.com displays the welcome message, you *can* reach the game server.

But i have no idea why telnet is able to resolve the server address and the EL client isnt. :)

Someone else have any ideas?

Piper

Ok, copy and paste your el.ini here.

[16:28:52] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

hmm....What about this??? He sed thet this was written the first time...Mabe its a problem with thet :hiya: I have no idea just saying :doze:

Foehammer,

do you know if there is a proxy configured in you internet browser?

I think EL is trying to connect to the webserver, getting the update, but if you computer is not allowed to connect directly to port 80, it will show such message you posted.

This is only a guess, I do not really know the client, I do not know what will happen when the update connection runs in a timeout, but I think someone else here could answer this question.