Eternal Lands Official Forums
HavingFun

Test your thinking skills

No? Then you are saying that a baloon filled with hydrogen is as heavy as one filled with lead?
if they have the same mass inside them, then pretty much they can be (assuming that the difference in gravitational effect from different size isn't counted). they have a different density, of course, so lead will displace down in sea-level atmosphere, while the helium will displace upwards, there's no such thing as a negative weight (that I'm aware of, though there's some pretty funky stuff in advanced physics), just a lower weight per unit mass (which is why helium goes up)

or for another example... does air have the same weight when hot and cold? for the same amount(mass, not volume) of air? yes. but hot air, since it's expanded, has a lower density, and displaces upwards

Edited by ttlanhil

No? Then you are saying that a baloon filled with hydrogen is as heavy as one filled with lead?
if they have the same mass inside them, then pretty much they can be (assuming that the difference in gravitational effect from different size isn't counted). they have a different density, of course, so lead will displace down in sea-level atmosphere, while the helium will displace upwards, there's no such thing as a negative weight (that I'm aware of, though there's some pretty funky stuff in advanced physics), just a lower weight per unit mass (which is why helium goes up)

or for another example... does air have the same weight when hot and cold? for the same amount(mass, not volume) of air? yes. but hot air, since it's expanded, has a lower density, and displaces upwards

Entropy said a balloon filled with HYDROGEN not Helium

i can't say i readed all of this (english isn't my native language + all that looks like ancient chinese >.<)

BUT this riddle was used at our school couple years ago and the answer was they both weight the same xD

(qtf it's both 1KG how can one be heavier then the other? :/ )

Entropy said a balloon filled with HYDROGEN not Helium
whoops... oh well, it makes no difference in the outcome
BUT this riddle was used at our school couple years ago and the answer was they both weight the same xD

(qtf it's both 1KG how can one be heavier then the other? :/ )

correct (unless you're a physics major and really picky, I guess, but that comes down to differences in gravitational effect, which is negligable anyway)

Well, guess what, in a fluid you need to take in account the density as well, because otherewise you can say that an item is as heavy in the void as in the water, for example.

Which is not correct, since the displacement is opposite to the gravity, whicn in effect makes the item less heavy.

So the heavyness in a fluid is not just m*g, as there are other forces acting towards that object.

When did "heavy" and "heavyness" become scientific words? Perhaps someone should have asked what you were defining as "heavy" before answering.

By the way, who said I cannot condense my feathers so that they are the same density as iron? ;)

By the way, the Wikipedia entry is correct, if you are talking about the physics definition of "weight." Merriam-Webster includes that definition too. Since you asked a question involving kilograms, it seems only natural that people would assume you meant the physics definition.

Edited by Tanyia

When did "heavy" and "heavyness" become scientific words? Perhaps someone should have asked what you were defining as "heavy" before answering.

By the way, who said I cannot condense my feathers so that they are the same density as iron? :blink:

The electromagnetic force?

By the way, the Wikipedia entry is correct, if you are talking about the physics definition of "weight." Merriam-Webster includes that definition too. Since you asked a question involving kilograms, it seems only natural that people would assume you meant the physics definition.

Since when is the weight measured in KGs?

smash a hole in the room with both the mirror and desk?

Agreed, I would do the same :D

Here is another riddle where most of the people fail.

Assuming we are on earth, sea level, what is heavier? A KG of iron, or a KG of cotton?

old one, both even heavy :blink:

Since when is the weight measured in KGs?

Ya sorry Entropy, but in all my life I've ALWAYS used KGs as weight....

Me too, people weight and objects weight are mostly measured in the kg here. Although there is choice when it comes to a persons weight, example this person is n kg, or n p. Strange country :blink: . We use both metric and imperial in many cases.

Hehe, in my language, weight is translated either as gravity force or as heaviness of object. So technically, both of you are right :evilgrin:

Then you are 'intellectually chalanged', to use an euphemism.
hardly. they're just at the mercy of distributed incorrect information. even if you're an expert, you'll have a hard time convincing someone that what a clueless journalist said is wrong. let alone if most of society uses those words/words in that way

Hehe, in my language, weight is translated either as gravity force or as heaviness of object. So technically, both of you are right :evilgrin:

Only that the forces are not measured in KGs, no?

Of course not, force is measured in N (newton=kg*m^-1*s^-2) while heaviness is measured in kg (kilogram). That is unified for the whole world I think. (as metric units are used in science, or am I wrong?)

Heavyness is also measured in Newtons. Only the mass is measured in KGs.

Translating (for me obvious word) from my language (with straightly specific meaning) is difficult.

Of course we have two words for it too. it's just hard to translate it correctly, because dictionary offers me the same combination of words for each of them.

Note: all science should use latin nomenclature as medicine does, do you know how easy is international medicine because of latin? :evilgrin:

Edited by ThordinElement

Err, yea so I use KGs for weight, sorry but thats been so all my life..

also I measure a mass in m³.

Oh man, Ent's right. Bah, how could I forget such a simple thing? It look's like I have to remember my science lessons... Well sorry about that, by making the common error. It looks like I will have to reread everything :P .

Okay I got one

A bus driver was heading down a street in Colorado. He went right past a stop sign without stopping, he turned left where there was a "no left turn" sign, and he went the wrong way on a one-way street. Then he went on the left side of the road past a police car. Still,he didn't break any traffic laws. Why not?

every1 forgot the traffic laws so he could not break any cause no1 knows what they were anyway

umm..... Well I have to say that you answer is creative, but it was not the answer i was looking for

Edited by Sir_launcelot

he was in a simulator or playing a game or having lessons, whatever... you may lose points for it, but if it's not on the real road it needn't be illegal