Eternal Lands Official Forums
dns_server

Poll: What IRC channel(s) should we use?

What Irc server and channel do you want?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What server?

• freenode.net
    • sorcery.net
    • slashnet.org
    • QuakeNet.org
  2. 2. What channel name?

• #el
    • #eternal-lands
    • some other suggestion (explain below)

I have voted sorcery and #el. But I shall list here in my order of preference all 4 servers, and my reasoning.

sorcery.net

It plain damn works, It uses standard irc commands for nickserv, chanserv etc, and I have a jave web applet pointing at it (easy to change, but if it works it works) (EDIT http://just.dnsalias.net/index.php?name=IRCChat if you want to try it)

Adittionally it is a host that is predomenantly roleplaying orientated, which seems fitting.

freenode.net

By all standards a good host. Again standard chanserv/nickserv.

My only reservation is that I feel Eternal Lands "community" chat falls outwith the regular mandate for freenode. Its moer in the market of hosting linux useres groups, and programming language development channels.

QuakeNet.org

I really hate this one. Non standard commands, foeget chanserv and nickserv in any usual manner, instead deal with their Q & L bots or whatever they are called.

Any irc client with a degree of atomation in commands will shit itself on quakenet.

slashnet.org

I can say little about this one as some retard already registerd my name and got it banned.

Edited by the_antiroot

I voted the same.

It's a nice place to chat insted of being in-game, makes quite abit of difference. And I am glad to see it finally up & running. :mace:

I have wonderd why must we use an IRC chatroom when you can chat ingame?

Anyways I chose the name to be #Eternal-Lands more proper than #EL

Hope this helps :devlish:

I didnt vote since i dont know IRC, but i agree with Bleuren.

Why to have an IRC channel for EL when we have tons of chat channels in game? :o

Piper

I didnt vote since i dont know IRC, but i agree with Bleuren.

Why to have an IRC channel for EL when we have tons of chat channels in game? :o

Piper

I also agree with the sentiment of "Why?", and also haven't voted.

I've never used IRC (okay, that's a real shocker (yeah,right)), and even now, don't see much of a point to having an EL chat outside of EL... except maybe for people who can't get into EL for whatever reason.

you don't... get it? have you not seen how much more convenient it is? :o

no @, seeing names in the channel, IRC clients likely to be far more advanced than ELC has (even with the new input stuff), avoiding that 3chan limit, etc...

you don't... get it? have you not seen how much more convenient it is? :o

no @, seeing names in the channel, IRC clients likely to be far more advanced than ELC has (even with the new input stuff), avoiding that 3chan limit, etc...

Not being in EL, or having to play EL in windowed (I *like* fullscreen), or having to Alt+Tab a bunch to keep up with the chat... Not being able to concentrate fully on that next level :goofy:... more channels to confuse with the 3 we already have + #GM + PMs + Local...

well one advantage is that you don't need to be at your computer to be able to communicate with everyone.

You can set up a CGI:IRC or use a java applet based client (like the_antiroot). You can (like many members of my guild) have a linux server connected to the internet all the time and use a console irc client like irssi or epic4 running under a screen session so you can ssh to your server and keep connected to irc from anywere that is not blocking ssh. I have also used ssh on devices like a palm, you cannot (yet atleast it is on my todo list) connect to el from your palm.

If you are just communicating ingame you are restricted to a reletively fast computer with a resonable graphics card and you are resonably restricted to only be able to do it at home where irc is more portable.

Another advantage is that it would be somewhere to go when EL isn't working, to get info, updates, etc, that's already been established as an EL "home away from home" common area.

I have voted even though I have never had IRC, Don't really know what it's about and am not likely to get it. The thing that I have to download something sorta puts me off it, lol. But I think it might be fun for others.

I voted for slashnet and #eternal-lands ....Either way...i'll probaly always keep the topic up to date in there with the latest EL news for the curiouse who jump in there all the time.

I do like the idea of a used EL channel since..i'm always on IRC....24/7

Why wouldn't you want to be with everybody else?

I voted for sorcery and #eternal-lands

(the forums are eternal-lands, the website is eternal-lands, and the chat channel should be #eternal-lands).

#el sounds improper

I voted for sorcery and #eternal-lands

(the forums are eternal-lands, the website is eternal-lands, and the chat channel should be #eternal-lands).

#el sounds improper

Maybe if it was the "Official" IRC channel, then I would agree.. I like the IRC channel alot, it means I can talk to people in-game, without actually logging on. It could also help those people who leave, if they want to chat to friends, just log on IRC. :dry:

i voted for sorcerynet simply because when i went through the others that was the server in the channel #el that was the most populated.

i put some other suggestion only because imo it really doesn't matter. i made an alias on mirc. plus i used to show ppl how to get mirc, set it up and do the basic stuff like make aliases and the like so i would b happy to continue to do it for ne1 that wants. so it could b either #el, #eternal-lands, #Eternal_Lands, or whatever. aliases r easy to make and it opens the door to ne1 wanting to learn to do more w/ mirc.

Currently there is a bridge between channel 994 ingame to #el on sorcery.net, the ingame channe and irc channel can be changed easily.

Everything said on channel 994 is sent to #el to send a message back to channel 994 just use @message.

you need to register your nick with my bot ingame, /deadface register nick

you can also use all of deadface's commands by useing 'command ie 'stats dns

deadface is my local version of iknow, currently algorn (who hosts iknow) has been haveing network troubles so use deadface.