Eternal Lands Official Forums
DemonCowboy

Proper Typing etiquette

If you treat this only as fun then all people posting here wasted their time.

With regards

Van

As a English speaking American, I find your posts hard enough on the eyes to read that I've stopped trying. The reason that more proper capitalization, spelling, grammar, and punctuation are proper etiquite is that it makes it easier to people to understand what you are saying easily and quickly.

If you want people to take you seriously or read very much of your posts, you should at least make an effort!

everybody is different to some degree in different things - it's called VARIETY i'm sure that even u and i have common ground in some places just as we have differences here and i only mentioned that isp to show the fact that me and my style of typing have been around a good while, it was the VERSION that was the important part not the isp, but apparently that escaped u completely and my style of typing is still used to day in just about ANY english speaking chatroom in the world and to an extent a few non-english speaking chatrooms - and if i wanted to show off i could this whole thread from my perspective is just an entertaining diversion, just a different kind than the game itself

Wow, he found out already the reason why we are shouting at him, but does he know it too?

Hrm...

This is NOT a chat room!

This is a forum!!

Piper

DemonCowboy, I belong to a gothic forum which actually requires correct spelling, capitalization and punctuation or to at least make an effort. All posts which don't meet up to their standards are deleted promptly. I was so accustomed to chatting on msn, yahoo and other net programs.. even EL that at first it was hard for me to get used to.

Seriously speaking, the net has been damaging to grammar, spelling and the languages in general. Too often out of laziness or ease or habitude we find ourselves not punctuating, capitalizing, spelling properly and basically abbreviating just about anything and everything that we can.

OK.. fine but at least try to take the time to form paragraphs.. organize your thoughts so that others can understand because without punctuation and paragraphs at the bare minimum it makes it nearly impossible to decipher what you want others to read.

Finally, please try not to take things too personal because no one knows you personally to make personal comments. The mod/dev team would tell anyone the same thing that they are telling you.. even each other.

EDIT: We had to agree to the forum rules of grammar in order to register and be accepted. Initially, I was thinking this is a bit extreme but now I completely understand. :D

Edited by Savyl

question, who defines normal? and whoever it (cause i kno someone will be tempted to say they are) who the hell are you to judge someone by the way they type or say they cant type a certain way. thats like saying there is a wrong way to eat--but u kno what? in the end your still eating. so why argue bout the way someone types. because if they know u dont like it and cant read/comprehend it, then they more than likely arent talking to you.

Demon, even if you dont agree with us, dont you think you might want to use proper grammer and punctuation (ill look this up on google in a sec, im a bad speller). If you had just used proper writing tools in the first place, you wouldnt have everyone annoyed, pissed off and looking down upon you. This battle is ruining you, so why not just give up? You are making many enemies here and nothing will come out of this. We can win because we have more people, we can ignore you, we can disagree on all of your points... Think about it, im not commenting on your writing habits but on your self image. You can choose to ignore me if you want, but thats your choice. Why not just agree, say sorry and change your habits, everyone would then forgive you (hopefully)

Edit: What the.. I spelled the word right! Maybe im not such a bad speller after all...

Edited by sparhawk

DemonCowboy, I belong to a gothic forum which actually requires correct spelling, capitalization and punctuation or to at least make an effort. All posts which don't meet up to their standards are deleted promptly. I was so accustomed to chatting on msn, yahoo and other net programs.. even EL that at first it was hard for me to get used to.

must suck to be you. perfect english all the time? or an effort? how would you know wether they put forth effort or not? cause someones effort may be different from someone elses.

Seriously speaking, the net has been damaging to grammar, spelling and the languages in general. Too often out of laziness or ease or habitude we find ourselves not punctuating, capitalizing, spelling properly and basically abbreviating just about anything and everything that we can.

OK.. fine but at least try to take the time to form paragraphs.. organize your thoughts so that others can understand because without punctuation and paragraphs at the bare minimum it makes it nearly impossible to decipher what you want others to read.

ok, how is, "OK.. fine but at least try to take the time to form paragraphs.. organize your thoughts so that others can understand because without punctuation and paragraphs at the bare minimum it makes it nearly impossible to decipher what you want others to read." not meant to be taken personally. i would take it personally. that would be like saying, "sucks to be you. you have to talk in perfect english on ur gothic forums." i doubt you wouldnt take offense to that. but u kno what, some opinions dont need to be said. if u dont like the way someone types, who cares? not me. not the rest of the world. cause u kno what. wether everyone starts talking in perfect english or not, the world goes on.

Wow, he found out already the reason why we are shouting at him, but does he know it too?

Hrm...

This is NOT a chat room!

This is a forum!!

Piper

OMG WOW! i never would have guessed :D

Edited by omfug88

Nobody asks you for a perfect english in this forum, just format your posts a little bit, use paragraphs, commatas, full stops and such to make it more easy to read.

That means, dont post a text block of 2.5 screens length without any paragraph or punctuation chars.

Piper

OMG WOW! i never would have guessed :D

Seems that some ppl didnt get the difference. In a chat room you usually post 1-2 lines, so its ok not to use paragraphs or punctuations.

In a forum, you post longer postings and they are unreadable in that 1337 slowhand typing style.

Piper

Just my 2 cents woth...I am dyslexic. I have a very hard time comprehending what is going on on a normal basis. Does this make me stupid or illiterate? No. I just have a disability in which I try daily to get through and this gibberish is an insult to my abilities. I try very hard to write in a way that all can understand me. But I refuse to try to understand people that care not to type correctly. This is not the same as those that do not understand the language or have difficulty with English. But if you do not CARE to type correctly than I do not CARE enough to read it. Case closed.

Just my 2 cents woth...I am dyslexic. I have a very hard time comprehending what is going on on a normal basis. Does this make me stupid or illiterate? No. I just have a disability in which I try daily to get through and this gibberish is an insult to my abilities. I try very hard to write in a way that all can understand me. But I refuse to try to understand people that care not to type correctly. This is not the same as those that do not understand the language or have difficulty with English. But if you do not CARE to type correctly than I do not CARE enough to read it. Case closed.

thats a pretty close minded thing to do. hypothetically (sp?) say you had a hearing disability. someone you knew had an accent that you had trouble understanding. 2 ways to go: they can change the way they talk, but that would be hard for them because they grew up talking that way; or you could try harder to understand what they said. i honestly doubt you would ask someone to change the way they speak just for you. thats a little selfish dont you think? lets all try not to get so emotional over things. :D it would really help the people getting offended part.

vanyel - i got what they were trying to express long ago - i'm just keeping this up because of their attitudes and because it is fun, as the edit to my previous post shows

As a English speaking American, I find your posts hard enough on the eyes to read that I've stopped trying. The reason that more proper capitalization, spelling, grammar, and punctuation are proper etiquite is that it makes it easier to people to understand what you are saying easily and quickly.

If you want people to take you seriously or read very much of your posts, you should at least make an effort!

i make an effort by bothering to post at all. it would b VERY easy just to play the game and take from it and do what i will while giving nothing back at all, untill i found another game that had more features that i liked and tried to move friends that i play w/ there. i've done it comming here, i can and might do it if i chose to leave. instead i give my 2¢ on what would help this game.

i was NEVER asked b4 to keep chat slang out of it here or other forums i have attended and untill vanyel's post, i was never asked, i was either judged or got smartalic remarks. that is FAR from the way to get ME to do ANYTHING. instead as this thread shows it only becomes a form of entertainment to me because when i'm harassed, singled out and ordered, mocked or anything else i'll never listen

everybody is different to some degree in different things - it's called VARIETY i'm sure that even u and i have common ground in some places just as we have differences here and i only mentioned that isp to show the fact that me and my style of typing have been around a good while, it was the VERSION that was the important part not the isp, but apparently that escaped u completely and my style of typing is still used to day in just about ANY english speaking chatroom in the world and to an extent a few non-english speaking chatrooms - and if i wanted to show off i could this whole thread from my perspective is just an entertaining diversion, just a different kind than the game itself

Hrm...

This is NOT a chat room!

This is a forum!!

Piper

no but there was no set rules stating that chat slang was prohibited ( i'd like to see that 1 enforced actually - could b funny w/ as vanyel pointed out so many ppl who have only limited english speaking/writing skills)

besides this thread points differently the ppl i've been giving the link to this thread to i've been telling them this is either the most fun thread, or the slowest chatroom i've ever seen.....lol

and FYI the louder u shout the louder i laugh, i don't respond at all to negative attention, had enough of that growing up thanx.

btw u'r attitudes like this are only reinforcing just how much chatroom-like this whole forum is, if u want to have the chatroom attitude, we might as well also have the grammar and syntax.

Finally, please try not to take things too personal because no one knows you personally to make personal comments. The mod/dev team would tell anyone the same thing that they are telling you.. even each other.

EDIT: We had to agree to the forum rules of grammar in order to register and be accepted. Initially, I was thinking this is a bit extreme but now I completely understand. :D

well i have no choice but to agree that the net has hurt grammar and syntax, but i'm not the 1 to try to help change it, especially since i was on the bandwagon that started sending it down hil. so i've just used it whenever it was casual. this forum is nothing if not casual, otherwise, it would be alot more strict like the gothic forum u are/were a part of.

the attitudes of others expressed throughout this forum show how casual and chatroom like this forum actually is. and singling me out w/ this (especially since it started as a comeback and ppl jumped on it) isn't the way to bring about change, in me or any1 else. a more polite solution would have to be in order. maybe adding to the dev suggestion forums a rule against chat slang and 1337 typing and to type as clearly as possible. calling it lazy, immature, or saying it looks like it shows a lack of intelligence will only spur more ppl on to use it because even if it's polite it's an attack and spurs an equally offensive attitude that will spur users to keep on using it, merely out of spite.

i have never taken anything in this thread personally, this whole typing thing started as a retort to a comment i made about some1 using company resources for personal things, w/ my typing being the only thing he could come up w/ to come back w/. u said that u've spent time in chatrooms, tell me, doesn't this seem like an IRC channel arguement to u? it sure does me, so i'm treating it as such. so for me this is entertainment from this part on

------

note that since i edited to reflect vanyel's post i have cleaned it up a tiny bit

The final point is this: if DemonCowboy wants to make suggestions, he'll make them in a manner in which everybody can read or nobody will read them.

If he chooses to continue on the way he is, his suggestions will get looked over. No big deal. Everybody happy. He does what he wants, we do or don't do what we want.

So when somebody else posts the exact same ideas but in a legible format, that person will get credit. When his ideas get no comments and ignored, oh well...c'est la vie. We aren't forcing anything.

thats a pretty close minded thing to do. hypothetically (sp?) say you had a hearing disability. someone you knew had an accent that you had trouble understanding. 2 ways to go: they can change the way they talk, but that would be hard for them because they grew up talking that way; or you could try harder to understand what they said. i honestly doubt you would ask someone to change the way they speak just for you. thats a little selfish dont you think? lets all try not to get so emotional over things. :D it would really help the people getting offended part.

But we are not stating that he cannot type correctly. He stated himself that he did not care to do so. If he is unable to physically, I have no problem and will work it out to a way I could communicate with him. But he is stating he does not care or choose to type correctly.

if u mods and others would like to pay transcription rates for correct typing i will give my paypal address untill then if u'r so petty and judgemental not to read something (responding here proves u can) then that's u'r problemjudging ppl by their typing is very poor on u'r part it's not much different than basing a judgement on some1s race religion or creed - just because i choose not to type w/ correct grammar, punctuation, capitalization doesn't mean i can't nor does it mean that other ppl can't as wrong and just attacking a chat addict is NOT the way to bring about change in their behavior i'll go back and forth w/ u all day if u like being polite and judgemental asking politely might have worked had u not decided to attack provoking me this is a free game i'm not paying to play it so i'm nice enough to give a few suggestions here and there on ways to make it better since the devs are open to suggestions

it is not a rule here to type in correct grammar and punctuation or even spelling so don't complain when ppl choose to type messages here like they were chatting in an IRC chatroom saving keystrokes and punctuation - especially since when using a keyboard set to US international u can't use most punctuation in the game neway figure by now u mods would b used to it

i'll tell u what when the devs fix the game's chat system to accept punctuation easier for international keyboard setting i might use it here alittle more here as well

Point is that I do have a disability and he chooses not to change for others like me because he does not want to, not because he is not capable of it.

Nobody asks you for a perfect english in this forum, just format your posts a little bit, use paragraphs, commatas, full stops and such to make it more easy to read.

That means, dont post a text block of 2.5 screens length without any paragraph or punctuation chars.

Piper

thats a reasonable request that im sure wouldnt go unnoticed.

Seems that some ppl didnt get the difference. In a chat room you usually post 1-2 lines, so its ok not to use paragraphs or punctuations.

In a forum, you post longer postings and they are unreadable in that 1337 slowhand typing style.

Piper

and yes i understood it the first time. but my point was, dontcha think that comment was a little unnecessary

and for sheesh:

first things first. i said HYPOTHETICALLY* (spell?) second is people w/ accents can change the way they talk too, but they usually dont. typing a certain way is a habit. an involuntary movement of muscles. just like writing. (imagine that) you can change the way you write, but it takes time and effort--which may not be wanted to put forth in the first place. (did that make sense? i cant tell. hopefully you understand what i mean cause i dont know how to word it otherwise) more often than not people resist change. on BOTH sides. and if no ones willing to compromise, then good luck to the both of you, cause no agreement will be reached. and verbal attacks about incapabilities are unnecessary. you yourself said you were dyslexic. dont think you would like people talking about your incapabilities would you? and do not take what i say and say that it is a personal attack. because i have nothing against you, i dont know you, and i honestly dont care to hear (see would be a better word wouldnt it?) my words twisted and tried to use against me.

*hypothetically: Of, relating to, or based on a hypothesis: a hypothetical situation. See Synonyms at

theoretical

1. Suppositional; uncertain. See Synonyms at supposed.

2. Conditional; contingen

Edited by omfug88

thats a pretty close minded thing to do. hypothetically (sp?) say you had a hearing disability. someone you knew had an accent that you had trouble understanding. 2 ways to go: they can change the way they talk, but that would be hard for them because they grew up talking that way; or you could try harder to understand what they said. i honestly doubt you would ask someone to change the way they speak just for you. thats a little selfish dont you think? lets all try not to get so emotional over things. :icon13: it would really help the people getting offended part.

Don't you think it's more selfish not to care about other peoples' (dis)abilities? What Sheesh meant (I think) is not that she can't understand the 'bad English' like people sometimes like to write it (though that might be the case as well), but that she tries her damn best to write as well as possible despite her *real* problems to do so, while others are just too freaking lazy to hit that shift-button a few times on their keyboard!

And no, that was NOT the way 'you grew up', cause I may hope you learned to write properly at school. That's a habit you *chose* to get accustomed to. You *choose* to write badly. And just don't care if that makes it harder for other people (just normal native-English speaking or not, with certain disabilities or not) to read. Now who's the selfish one?

too many quotes to edit, so i'll simply post another reply

Demon, even if you dont agree with us, dont you think you might want to use proper grammer and punctuation (ill look this up on google in a sec, im a bad speller). If you had just used proper writing tools in the first place, you wouldnt have everyone annoyed, pissed off and looking down upon you. This battle is ruining you, so why not just give up? You are making many enemies here and nothing will come out of this. We can win because we have more people, we can ignore you, we can disagree on all of your points... Think about it, im not commenting on your writing habits but on your self image. You can choose to ignore me if you want, but thats your choice. Why not just agree, say sorry and change your habits, everyone would then forgive you (hopefully)

Edit: What the.. I spelled the word right! Maybe im not such a bad speller after all...

personally, if some1 doesn't like me because i'm having fun w/ this then that's their problem, i really don't care either way. to me this whole thread has been mostly for fun and if ppl have to get too serious about it then i personally feel sorry for them.

i'm not the guy who just goes w/ the flow, i do my own thing and if they like it, fine, all's well & good, if they don't, then that's their problem, not mine.

Piper

OMG WOW! i never would have guessed :icon13:

Piper

actually in most IRC chats u can fit a block of almost 1000+\- (i never actually counted) characters into a single post taking up to a quarter of the screen w/ the chat client maximized, depending on u'r settings.

You are using more punctuation and paragraphs now though :icon13:

So we defeated the dark side :-)

*graps a pancake and catches tanyia and the sweet&sour sauce*

Piper

You are using more punctuation and paragraphs now though :icon13:

that was because of vanyels more respectful post bringing up a point i hadn't considered, even b4 sheesh posted their comment about it which was basically the same reason. both disability and limited skills in a language make it harder to read/understand in the first place. i didn't take that into account and that's y i've cleaned it up alittle bit to take that into consideration.

it DEFINATELY wasn't the other's posts. i'd actually like them to keep posting because this is fun maybe we can hijack it for another arguement w/ this much attitude...lol

lmfao what a stupid topic...

gg demon now be a good boy and drop it.

hell no, i'm having fun in this thread...lol

You are using more punctuation and paragraphs now though :P

So we defeated the dark side :-)

*graps a pancake and catches tanyia and the sweet&sour sauce*

Piper

no u didn't piper, the tactics u and others were using didn't give u a snowball's chance in hell of changing the way i was typing.

u owe u'r thanks to vanyel, so don't pat u'rselves on the back ppl (vanyel can), instead, bow down to vanyel and tell him that u'r not worthy....lol

/edit (spelling and other changes i thought appropriate :P )

Edited by DemonCowboy

thats a pretty close minded thing to do. hypothetically (sp?) say you had a hearing disability. someone you knew had an accent that you had trouble understanding. 2 ways to go: they can change the way they talk, but that would be hard for them because they grew up talking that way; or you could try harder to understand what they said. i honestly doubt you would ask someone to change the way they speak just for you. thats a little selfish dont you think? lets all try not to get so emotional over things. :icon13: it would really help the people getting offended part.

Don't you think it's more selfish not to care about other peoples' (dis)abilities? What Sheesh meant (I think) is not that she can't understand the 'bad English' like people sometimes like to write it (though that might be the case as well), but that she tries her damn best to write as well as possible despite her *real* problems to do so, while others are just too freaking lazy to hit that shift-button a few times on their keyboard!

And no, that was NOT the way 'you grew up', cause I may hope you learned to write properly at school. That's a habit you *chose* to get accustomed to. You *choose* to write badly. And just don't care if that makes it harder for other people (just normal native-English speaking or not, with certain disabilities or not) to read. Now who's the selfish one?

omg. wow. where do i start? being selfish comes from both sides. so you cant say one is more selfish than the other, because you kno what, its still being selfish. people can try their dammed well best at anything, and if they still fail, then im sure it could be arranged so they could not fail. i would take offense to that if i were sheesh because that statment says that in your mind (consciously or subconsciously) you limit the ability of a dyslexic (or however u spell it. i copied and pasted it the first time :P ) person. and its not being lazy, it is a habit. just like you said about writing. you contridicted yourself in your own post. how uncommon is that? :omg: and im not the one who doesnt use grammar when they post. it was about demoncowboy, not me. and i did learn how to write properly. the attack on my knowledge and learning ability was unnecessary. i doubt you would want me talking about your incompetence by letting your emotional state influence the way you interperet what i post. and its hard for both sides, not just one. (just like the selfish part. remember?) when you can get your accusations correct, please feel free to pm me. i would love to debate w/ you. good job and keep trying :P

on a different note, gl everyone w/ the debate. im off to dinner and an ACT prep class. :)

Edited by omfug88

Actually Molime did not offend me, as what was said was basically on target. But what was offending was that you are assuming my abilities as a dyslexic make me iliterate or at least unable to grasp important concepts. In other words, you are talking down to me as if I were not capable of looking up what hypothetical means.

So to clarify this for you, dys·lex·i·a n.

A learning disorder marked by impairment of the ability to recognize and comprehend written words.

I may be dyslexic, but I also know what hypothetical is and am currently working on my PhD. Try not to assume that a disability means one cannot try to better themselves through achievments and goals.

Actually Molime did not offend me, as what was said was basically on target. But what was offending was that you are assuming my abilities as a dyslexic make me iliterate or at least unable to grasp important concepts. In other words, you are talking down to me as if I were not capable of looking up what hypothetical means.

So to clarify this for you, dys·lex·i·a n.

A learning disorder marked by impairment of the ability to recognize and comprehend written words.

I may be dyslexic, but I also know what hypothetical is and am currently working on my PhD. Try not to assume that a disability means one cannot try to better themselves through achievments and goals.

actually i gave you the defenition of hypothetically was because u assumed that i said you had a hearing disability. dyslexia does not directly affect your knowledge or learning capability. so i do not know where you felt i said or inferred that. i was just stating my opinion or standpoind of what molime said. i never said anything about your knowledge, learning capabilities, your capabilities of looking up a word and understanding the meaning of it, or how dyslexia effects people. cause i dont kno how it effects you, because i dont have it, im not you, and im not an expert in it. but i do understand the art of debating and i immerse myself in the art of understanding the conscious and subconscious mind. your emotional reaction to what i said has blinded you to the fact that i am completely neutral in all of this i just took the opposing side to your (and others) arguments because it seemed a little bit like a one sided debate. lighten up, its not the end of the world, its just a debate :icon13:

ps. id love for you to show me where i assumed that a disability means one cannot try to better themselves through achievments and goals. & also,

u forgot the dis-'lek-sE-a part and the [New Latin : dys- + Greek lexis, speech (from legein, to speak. See leg- in Indo-European Roots).] part. jk lol

edit: also what i meant by "i am completely neutral in all of this" is that the results of this debate do not affect me and therefore could argue either way. i chose to argue the lesser supported side, because its more of a challenge. i try my best in anything and everything i debate on to not personally attack someone. but i do make mistakes and people do misinterperet things. so im sry if i make any mistakes everybody

Edited by omfug88

to be honest, i don't even try to read demoncowboy's topics anymore (and some other's, but well, there's only one example showing here, and i'm too tired to search for others, sorry ! :P ).

why ?

because i'm not a natural english speaker, and i got really bored to have to read 3 times each sentence before roughly understand what it means.

may look k3wl, but highly unpractical... for me at last. but i'd bet i'm not the only one. ^_^

for the matter "it's quicker". wrong (or maybe saves 0.3sec per sentence... big deal). but anyway, you're not timed while answering on a forum. that's even the purpose : take time, be understandable, clear, have time to think before answering...

so yes, it's people's freedom to write this way... as it's mine to consider that as highly impolite and irrespectful.

(and we have the same issues on forums written in my own language... some wrote special bots that don't let you post if you write too many abreviations :P )

[EDIT] typos :icon13: (may have forgotten more)[/edit]

Edited by cayuga

to be honest, i don't even try to read demoncowboy's topics anymore.

why ?

because i'm not a natural english speaker, and i got really bored to have to read 3 times each sentence before roughly understand what it means.

may look k3wl, but highly unpractical... for me at last. but i'd bet i'm not the onmy one. ^_^

so yes, it's his freedom to write this way... as it's mine to consider that as highly impolite.

(and we have the same issues on forums written in my own language... some wrote special bots that don't let you post if you write too many abreviations :icon13: )

since u obviously haven't been reading the latest posts in this thread, let me get u up to speed.

vanyel pointed out that i wasn't considering those who were having a hard time reading in english to begin w/, and how my lack of punctuation was making it even harder for them.

the reason i listened to him is because he was at least good enough to present this in an unassuming, civil way basing on his own experiences, unlike most of the others who were being either condecending, or judgemental of the person behind the typing. if it would have been put to me in a civil way before maybe just:

"i'm not very fluent in english, and am having a hard time understanding, could u please type so i can understand better?"

or something like that in a polite manner in a PM or something, BEFORE this started, i pry would have started to accomodate. because i honestly didn't give any thought to those who would have a hard time because of a disability or just learning the language - and to those who do have trouble to start w/, i do apologize and as shown here i will clean it up a bit. that will mean punctuation to help, not my use of "b", "r", "u", "4" or other shortening of words because it's a habbit and they are just how they sound in english if u pronounce them. after this enlightenment i will try to meet certain others half-way (but only half)

the native english speakers, i have no apology for, because they have a good grasp of the english language and should b able to read it without much trouble since alot of my typing is from legal shorthand as well and widely recognized, like "/" instead of and/or, "w/o", "w/", and the lack of punctuation u can't always tell breaks when ppl speak, and works for the written word as well. any american that doesn't know that needs to travel outside of where they were born for a bit and talk to different ppl in different areas of just the US alone.