Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grum

chat window

We should be able to have both focus onmouseover or onmouseclick as well once this is properly implemented. Good to see that my hints got you going Grum, but please ask if you're in doubt about anything.

well so far the chat window has been great the only problems Ive had are when i resize the window some times the text does not like to resize with it, and my client is very stable

hay grum , sorry to flood you with window ideas and features.

is it possible to create an option to disable windows decorations?

by decorations i mean the golden lines around it , the handler to move it and the handler to resize it

so its possible to creat the option %use_window_decorations

in such a way that it would defult as 1 and anytime someone could put in game %use_windoiw_decorations 0 to amek them dissapear?

my logic behind it is, the decorations are useful 10% of the time wehn you to change palces and resize the thing, after ouve done it, and is just using the windows, the decorations are just visual bulk, the window without them would ofer the advantage of windowed_chat (focus to scroll up and down etc) without the visual bulk :)

Specter, the text width doesn't adjust to the window size because the line breaks are computed only once, using the width of the window at the time of the calculation. Having the text adjust to the window width would either require us to keep it twice in memory, or recompute the line beaks every time the window is drawn. Neither of these are good options, IMHO.

immerentis, your suggestion is certainly possible. I'm not so sure if it's a useful feature though. The common situation where you would want to use your idea, is probably when you're in one place for a long time. But in that case you can move or resize the window out of your desired view area as well.

immerentis, your suggestion is certainly possible. I'm not so sure if it's a useful feature though. The common situation where you would want to use your idea, is probably when you're in one place for a long time. But in that case you can move or resize the window out of your desired view area as well

maybe my english (poor poor engRish) is to blame in this situation :)

let me try it again :)

the idea is not necessary neither whe you are in movement nor when you are moving around

the idea just gives more visual confort :) if you use linux and can try letsee fvwm (hey you mentioned it before) try to disabel windows decorations :) you will understand what i mean, windows decorations are surely nice when you need them (you need to resize or something like that) but major part of the time they just are in your way ,

if you choose a place where they will not bother you (like putting the chat window in the upper corner ) you will not need to resize them or move in a long time and during this time is nice to turn them out :)

i guess you can only really see my point when you try for yourself, if you can implement the idea, do so , test it, and im shure you will understand what i am )poorly) trying to say

Sorry to jump into this topic so late, but I had a thought while reading it:

Could you make the chat window a dropdown across the top of the screen that looks like the side and bottom borders? (the brown borders that hold the icons and quick-use slots)

At the very top, you could have channel tabs, and an inch or so of text area. then, you could hve scroll arrows on the side, and an option to drag the window down a bit more for more viewable lines.

The tabs for the channels would control which one you were talking or sending commands to. Click on one blank tab (of maybe 3) and type in #jc 3 to assign the market channel. Same with the others, be it 1, 2, or more.

You could use the mouse to drag the bottom of the window up or down, depending on if you are playing or socializing more, as well as using the scroll arrows.

F1 should still work the same.

Any thoughts?

Would this be a good time to ask for a command (NOT chat) buffer to? :(

And Dent, I think thats a great idea. Basically, a dragable chat window that docks at the very top of the viewable area. Nice thinking :unsure:

That's a pretty good idea dent, but just make sure you can also move the entire chat window to wherever you want it on the screen(like the other current windows we have).

Also, I think that ent told me this wasn't possible..so just disregard it if so, but it would be cool if you're able to take the chatwindow outside of the main window itself, so those playing in non-fullscreen modes can have the entire viewing area clean from chat.

actual there is way can think of make seperate program for chat window that just read info form file or maybe some way from main client.

Edited by jamesvm

Also, I think that ent told me this wasn't possible..so just disregard it if so, but it would be cool if you're able to take the chatwindow outside of the main window itself, so those playing in non-fullscreen modes can have the entire viewing area clean from chat.

Not impossible, but probably hard to do cleanly. Put that on the "maybe when I have retired" list. Or at least until the root window rewrit eis done :P

The chat window now has an input and an output field. If your mouse cursor is in the input field, you can move left and right in the input line by pressing the left or right arrow key. There's still a problem with pasting text, but i'll fix that when i'm awake again.

ouu that sounds great Grum! Nice to see this is moving along! ;)

Any possible way to be able to copy text too? What about copying text that was already entered? That would be a dream :P

Paste problem fixed, as well as a couple of segfaults (thanks annraoi).

Any possible way to be able to copy text too? What about copying text that was already entered? That would be a dream

Hmmm...possible, perhaps. Not easy, but possible. I have to think about it.

I think I'm first going to split channel chat off, though.

Channel and guild chat are now displayed in separate tabs, I'm now ready to start debugging. Issues that I'm aware of:

* the initialization of the chat window is a mess (and incorrect too, if windowed_chat is turned on half way the game)

* Tab titles need to be made translateable

* text wrapping with the chat window off is either non-existant, or adapted to the chat window width even if it's not there

* possibly a crash on startup on windows, though the last commit fixes some possible issues. Also relates to issue #1

Anything else?

* possibly a crash on startup on windows, though the last commit fixes some possible issues. Also relates to issue #1

Hate to be a bringer of bad news, but, though it crashed less often, it has yet to stop. :\

Well, help Grum find it by debugging? Don't you have gdb or similiar on windows?

Well, help Grum find it by debugging? Don't you have gdb or similiar on windows?

That's what I'm attempting to do... but windows as an OS sucks, and gdb keeps crashing, rofl. <_<

Not to mention that, now, I run it through gdb, and as I said, it doesn't always crash. In fact, it won't crash.

Edited by crusadingknight

Grum - could it be that the server sends a LOG_IN_OK before you have all actors, the map etc.? You only get YOU_ARE, NEW_MINUTE and SYNC_CLOCK.

That's what I'm attempting to do... but windows as an OS sucks, and gdb keeps crashing, rofl. <_<

Not to mention that, now, I run it through gdb, and as I said, it doesn't always crash. In fact, it won't crash.

Does it crash with the default el.ini from CVS? If not, try adjusting options until you find the one that causes crashing.

Wytter, I'm not sure what you mean. Even if the server sends a LOG_IN_OK before you have loaded the maps, should it matter?

Well, I did not have a time to check on what you had been changing, so it was just an idea if you lacked checking anything in the game window handler.

Does it crash with the default el.ini from CVS? If not, try adjusting options until you find the one that causes crashing.

Wytter, I'm not sure what you mean. Even if the server sends a LOG_IN_OK before you have loaded the maps, should it matter?

Yes, it does crash.

Clean compile, and I'm afraid it still crashes. As I said before, if I wait maybe 15 seconds extra, though, I call log in without problems.