Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nyxl

Unused Cross Attributes.

As stated by the Wraith, Perception and Charm are not used right now. Here are my ideas :

Charm :

It could be taken into account when you have a transaction with a NPC trader. The higher your Charm, the better the prices you get.

For example :

Buying price = fixed price * (1 - Charm/100)

Selling price = fixed price * (1 + Charm/100)

I have the feeling that the formula should be a little more sophisticated, in order to limit possible abuse. A variation of 20 or 25 percents would be a decent maximum.

It would allow a new "class" of character to raise : the Merchants, devoted to transaction with NPC's. In many other mmorpg's, each guild has a good merchant able to get excellent prices for selling/buying stuff in shops. It would enforce the importance of guild (role)playing, I think.

Edit : Just thought of that. It would be the perfect "Yin" for the "Yang" of the "Antisocial" perk. On one side, you have characters unable to deal with NPC's, on the other side, you have people able to negociate with NPC's at very high levels...

Perception :

It could be taken into account in manu'ing stuff (manufacture, crafting, potion making, alchemy). The higher the Perception, the less you're likely to lose materials in case of failure.

For exemple, a Perception of 15 would ensure that a crafter never lose materials if he fails in making a ring when he's at the recommended skill level. A higher Perception would help him make stuff of higher skill-level without fearing too much. Since I have no clear idea of how it currently works, I won't suggest any formula :P ...

This way, it would enforce the specialization of characters, and playing pure manu'ers/crafters/pot'makers would become more rewarding.

Sounds good, Nyxl. I don't know if the dev team has any ideas for these stats, but your suggestions look like good candidates to me.

Wow, would be nice.

Getting charm level of over 100 and getting money for buying instead of paying.

All neg perks except anti-social, some levels, and go shopping to get money.

If charm is 100 ->

Buying price = fixed price * (1 - 100/100) = fixed price * (1-1) = 0

If charm is 200 ->

Buying price = fixed price * (1 - 200/100) = fixed price * (1-2) = - fixed price

That's exactly why I spoke about a more complex formula.

Besides, I doubt people would try to reach Charm 100... It means both Instinct and Vitality to 100, you know, so 192 overall without negative perks... I really doubt one will make such a character...

Nyxl, I think those are excellent suggestions. They'd really add another dimension to the game.

The buying price formula would need to be on a curve so the higher your charm gets, the less the price is effected. Eventually it wouldn't matter how high charm got.

Also, the scale of the pricing in the game would have to change. Even saving 1g on an item in todays market is a big savings. Multiply all buy/sell prices by 100, or introduce a coin smaller than 1g. Maybe reintroduces plats as 0.01g?

Allow me to "unearth" this subject just to ask if it has been given any consideration to Perception and Charm since I made those suggestions...

To tell the truth, I'm about to reach all my attributes/nexus objectives (let's say in 4 overall levels) and I'm considering investing in Vitality and Instinct, since I don't want to become "yet another power built warrior". That's why I'd like to know if those cross-attributes are already useful for something... :)

Besides, I doubt people would try to reach Charm 100... It means both Instinct and Vitality to 100, you know, so 192 overall without negative perks... I really doubt one will make such a character...

If it meant getting stuff for free, I can guarantee you some people would try to get 100 charm ;)

I have started to design a quest. My initial idea was to use perception like this:

Every time you pass a certain spot, you would have a random chance (higher chance with higer perception) to notice "You hear a faint moaning sound . . ."

I decided that this would be a bad thing for the quest - people with low perception would be much less likely to find the quest than people with high perception. There may be other uses for perception however. Maybe at night or in dimly lit caves, bags would only be presented to the client depending on a random factor that increases with higher perception. Secret doors could work the same way - they are only clickable if you make your perception-based random chance. Or maybe some monsters could become invisible and are harder to hit if you have low perception.

What about involving Perception on the effects of magic spells ?

Characters with higher Perception would be more attuned to Magicka and could extract the best of a spell...

I'd dreamt of a "Healing" spell or a "Heal Other" spell with modulable effects according to skill level and Perception, just like the "Bones to Gold" spell has a range of effect based on the skill level and a random factor...

As stated by the Wraith, Perception and Charm are not used right now. Here are my ideas :

Charm :

It could be taken into account when you have a transaction with a NPC trader. The higher your Charm, the better the prices you get.

For example :

Selling price = fixed price * (1 + Charm/100)

I have the feeling that the formula should be a little more sophisticated, in order to limit possible abuse. A variation of 20 or 25 percents would be a decent maximum.

It would allow a new "class" of character to raise : the Merchants, devoted to transaction with NPC's. In many other mmorpg's, each guild has a good merchant able to get excellent prices for selling/buying stuff in shops. It would enforce the importance of guild (role)playing, I think.

Edit : Just thought of that. It would be the perfect "Yin" for the "Yang" of the "Antisocial" perk. On one side, you have characters unable to deal with NPC's, on the other side, you have people able to negociate with NPC's at very high levels...

Perception :

It could be taken into account in manu'ing stuff (manufacture, crafting, potion making, alchemy). The higher the Perception, the less you're likely to lose materials in case of failure.

For exemple, a Perception of 15 would ensure that a crafter never lose materials if he fails in making a ring when he's at the recommended skill level. A higher Perception would help him make stuff of higher skill-level without fearing too much. Since I have no clear idea of how it currently works, I won't suggest any formula :P ...

This way, it would enforce the specialization of characters, and playing pure manu'ers/crafters/pot'makers would become more rewarding.

i only suggested this months ago how come i never get credit for anything ;)

(Nyxl @ May 27 2004, 02:39 PM)

If it meant getting stuff for free, I can guarantee you some people would try to get 100 charm

Maybe there should be a solid price for an item when charm gets too high....maybe half of the regular buying price.

dangit, why can't I get the little QUOTE information to stick next to the quote, not inside it? :(:) <_< :(:) <_<