Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest Jeroenzzz

PocketPC port

Guest Jeroenzzz

Is there any way EL can be compiled for a PocketPC or does it require major changes in the code? I guess the biggest problem would be the 320x240 screen and the linespeed of a GRPS-connection (about 5 kbyte/s).

actually, the big problem is more that I doubt pocketPC or mobile phones or whatever have the 3d grunt to run EL. when EL is modularlised, if someone made a lower-requirement (maybe 2d-ish) engine, then it might be possible

i'm working on porting the network code fully j2me (limited java for mobile devices). this is part of the JELC project where i'm trying to create a full port of el. i've had some problems with endian as java uses the opisite to intel cpu's so i need to work out the best way to do this with j2me (it has a limited api).

Once i've got the networking done i will probly implement some basic 2d over head graphics but that is a fair way off.

I would love to help JELC in anyway I can. I just got a Palm XT. It has wifi/bluetooth capability and runs java like a tank. This is the only thread I could find that related to JELC and mobile devices so I thought I would post here. I just wish I knew how to code in Java :) I will use my XT for testing once I figure out how to compile it on a palm.

Actually, some Pocket PC devices have a VGA (640x480) resolution, and they even have some 3D acceleration. My Dell 51v has that, and it would be capable to run EL, if someone would bother to port it.

And you don't need GPRS, pretty much all the new devices have integrated WiFi.

bad idea, very bad idea :P

because than I would never stop playing EL!!! ;):o

*Looks into the future and sees*

Me teaching maths to some unwilling students while playing EL

(or vice versa haha :P playing EL while doing a bit of teaching!)

In the middle of a sentence abruptly stopping speaking because I saw something happening on that little screen, focussing really hard to try to understand what has been said and when you finally figured it out is says:

"rofl omg pwnd!!!!!111"

cant wait!