Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dns_server

Who's Online App

I've created a simple who's online app, that parses the who's onlne pages on the website.

it can be found on the linux wariors Forums.

with the link to the latest (at time of writing)here(.7.5 at time of writing)

just unzip it and type java Gui it should then work.

you can create your own lists (ie for guilds) and send them to me and i'll include them in the next version.

ps should i post it in this section?

Edited by dns_server

How often does it fetch new data from the server? Keep in mind that running an app like this does add to the bandwidth usage of the game server (not the web server).

I believe its based on the players online page?...

Players Online comes from the game server, not the web server. Thats why I ask the questions I do. Same with all the players details.

Might be better if you could mirror the players online page on another server, then there won't be any problems, even if you have that server updating every other minute or so, as it'll only hog bandwidth once and not all the time such as hundreds of Who's online applets running would. Perhaps we could do that as well?

Edited by Wytter

it currently parses the page every 30 seconds (i can change this easily) and over the weekend i will change to parseing a different site if you are concerned about the load. if there is a better way to get the info please tell me. (ie good mirrors of the page)

I have thaught about the server load, and it is restricted to only retrieveing data every 30 seconds, if you click update before then it will not update.

is there a way to get the info more directly without adding more load? i don't want too much strain on the server ether.

How do you like the app? what does it need? are there bugs?

Keep in mind, one app doing that doesn't make much of a difference on load ... now make that a couple hundred and see what happens to the load & bandwidth. That why Entropy was suggesting copying the page to a mirror and the app getting the data from the mirror. If you have more control of the server, you could even do a more on-demand cache setup so that when nobody has the app open, there is no load on the server at all.

Keep in mind that if you start checking player stats with a tool like this, that puts more of a load on the server then the player online page.