Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kami

Oh, New Idea For A Cloak!

A Magic Deflecting Cloak!

Any player waring a Magic Deflecting Cloak has 30% chance that any magic Directed towards them will fail Plus an extra 10% chance that any Spell directed towards them would be deflected back at the Caster!

Granted, this would probably be not something you want to implement too soon seeing as Magic is still Under-developed in the game right now but this would be fantastic later when more players are using more offensive Magic.

It'll give some protection against Magic users and is pretty logical anyway. I just think it'll be awesome, walking into KF and have 7 people all try pounding me with Harm spells only to get them all bounced right back at them!

http://www.eternal-lands.com/index.php?content=magic

Magic Immunity

Sigils: Create, Increase, Magic, Protection

Reagents: 2 Magic essences, Energy essence

Required magic lev: 30

Required Ethereal points: 30

Makes you immune to negative spells.

Not sure we need a cloak for that. :angry: Edited by Hazor

lol then you get slaughtered by the mages ;)

Which brings me back to why we NEED a Magic Deflecting Cloak!

Edited by Kami

what, one cloak later and voila! instantly negate the mages' hard work and effort for levelling up all that way? ;)

What makes you think one lone cloak is going to completely kill magic in the game? If anything, it'll Help the Magic system in the game, by adding realism and competition! It adds chance to an otherwise possibly Over Powered system (that it will obviously will be, if not yet). Currently, the only protection against Magic is Magic and even then, you have to be so high enough in magic that the point becomes moot anyway! The Magic Deflecting Cloak gives an otherwise pver-powered, over matched Fighting-only Player at least half a Chance when cornered by a Mage who had been Training for 6-8 months with level 60 magic while the fighter only has 30 Attack/30 Defense with a Tit Short-Sword and Steel Armor.

After all, What Mage in their right mind can believe that it's going to actually get EASIER as they progress through the game, right? What did you expect? You level up your Magic Skills to 50 and suddenly you're this unstopable ArchMage with no equal? HA! Keep Dreaming! That'll never happen because there is always someway to balance the game! Such a Magic Deflecting Cloak is but only one way to achieve this.

Now, logically, such a Cloak would give just about any player a large advantage over any player without one; But isn't that the same with ANY OF THE CLOAKS!!! That's kind of the point, isn't it? Now, all of the cloaks need to be redone anyway, purhaps with a Negative to balance out the Positive and the Delfector Cloak is no exception. Something like, the Wearer also has a 50% chance to fail at his/her own Spell Casting too. Something so neither Fighters nor Mages have the greater advantage depending on what cloak they're wearing.

Now, also I believe Spell-Casters would also like such a Player-Specific Cloak as well! A Magery Cloak that increases the Odds of a Mage Fleeing from a Fight as well as reduces any non-physical damage resulting from combat (such as from Magical Swords). It would help, I suppose but hardly needed.

Edited by Kami

"by adding realism..."

Realism? Do you see any people reflecting harm with a cloak?

Unless you're surrounded by mentally unstable people, no.

So no. That isn't realism.

Umm.... Dude!

Magic is Magic! Magic is Mutable! Magic is Bendable! Magic is Definable!

Believe me, I Meant what I said!

thats bad idea really the fighters have got all the bonuses so far why do they need another one? i think its wrong to think mages will kill all ppl in game with magic until now magic has been really a skill you do just to use a bit help for fighting why do fighters need protection items? they have got lots of armors and all :( what does defend a mage from fighter? nothing and to training periods i have been trying to train both magic and fighting and i can say magic is ALOT harder then fighting. why do fighters need another bonus?

(tell me if i make no sense)

Edited by brain

...The Magic Deflecting Cloak gives an otherwise pver-powered, over matched Fighting-only Player at least half a Chance when cornered by a Mage who had been Training for 6-8 months with level 60 magic while the fighter only has 30 Attack/30 Defense with a Tit Short-Sword and Steel Armor...

a level 30 attack/30 defence fighter would have no chance against a level 60 fighter, so why should a level 30 attack/30 defence fighter need to have any chance against a level 60 mage anyway?

Quote Kami:

Any player waring a Magic Deflecting Cloak has 30% chance that any magic Directed towards them will fail Plus an extra 10% chance that any Spell directed towards them would be deflected back at the Caster!

The chances are way too high in comparison to other capes. So if it's 10% chance of deflect and 0% chance of reversing spell, it would be fine in my eyes.

Look, It was just an Idea! Sure it may need work but it's something to start from!

And Second, like I said, It may not mean much now seeing as though Magic is highly Under-developed as of right now but LATER IN THE GAME, Magic is going to be much, MUCH more developed and a Deflector Cloak is a highly viable and Applicable Added Item! The whole point is in fact that the Magic system is currently under-developed but It won't be forever! After all, once Magic gets off the ground, without such a Cloak, The whole Game will once again become completely off balanced! If I want to be a fighter, There ain't no way I'm going to Raise my Magic level up to 50 Just for the purpose to protect myself from magic by the use of one spell! Sure, I Could use those other spells too but Mostly, I’d get little use out of them and in the meantime, I'm Wasting a lot of time training my Magic level to use one stupid spell when I could otherwise be putting it to much better use! As the game is, it's forcing us to Mult-Class just to "Keep Up" with everyone else when all we want to do is Train in our chosen Class. I mean, stasia basicly said it herself! If you don't Train your Magic Level then you're basicly at the Mercy of those that do! After all, there's a Reason why most of us Choose to focus on one Class only. I use magic only when it suits me! Otherwise, I’d much prefer to leave it behind me.

And what I meant by "Realistic" is that, whether in Real Life or in any Fantasy Game, when we come up against a obstacle that we can't surpass, We don't Give up or Sell out and resort to Compromise! We Adapt! We take what we have and make it Better! Instead of having to work harder, We work smarter! If we find ourselves against an opponent who's more powerful then us, instead of running or risk a slaughter, we find a way to battle more Strategically! We find a way to shield our weaknesses yet at the same time find a way around your opponent’s strength! When the Battle is unmatched, take away your opponent's advantage to level the playing field! After all, the game’s already got the start of it with the uses of the rings. A Deflector Cloak is the next logical step! There is aways more then one way to do Anything; The Hard Way or the Smart Way! In this game. we should at least have the choice!

Oh, and another thing! Mage's and Fighters are completely different! Of course they are going to be measured on two completely different Scales! E.g. Lv60 Mage = Lv30 Fighter. Normally, this should be balanced! But as any one can tell you, it’s not!

Edited by Kami

...Lv60 Mage = Lv30 Fighter...

:P

how do you figure that?

yeah well exactly, using magic in this game is gay, but it shouldn't be.

so why do we need a cloak to deflect the gay weak magic for then again...? :P

yeah well exactly, using magic in this game is gay, but it shouldn't be.

so why do we need a cloak to deflect the gay weak magic for then again...? :P

wait till new spells are added ;)

After all, once Magic gets off the ground, without such a Cloak, The whole Game will once again become completely off balanced!

Who's to say that? Magic could be quite evenly balanced without any such cloaks, and considering it's kinda hard to run away and cast spells at the same time, I'd imagine the fighters will still have the upper hand, no matter how painful new spells will ever be.

Tell you what:

You get magic reflection when mages get human magnetism. okay? okay.

After all, once Magic gets off the ground, without such a Cloak, The whole Game will once again become completely off balanced!

Who's to say that? Magic could be quite evenly balanced without any such cloaks, and considering it's kinda hard to run away and cast spells at the same time, I'd imagine the fighters will still have the upper hand, no matter how painful new spells will ever be.

Once the Magic system is reworked, yes that may be true. Then again, I'm willing to bet it will still be a great addition even after the rework. Not Nessasary but then again, none of the other Cloaks are either!

Tell you what:

You get magic reflection when mages get human magnetism. okay? okay.

We already have it! It's called Reputation! j/k

Besides! Monster Magnetism is broken and needs to be taken out of the game anyway so there's no way in hell you are going to get Human Magnetism!

Hey, I could have suggested Making this an item such as a Pendent or Talismen or something but the whole point of of making it a CLoak is so that People can't "Stack" up their Advantages (plus it just makes sense as a Magic item of protection would be a Cloak or Shroud)! It's only one or the other! Believe me, I weighed the Pros and Cons and I think that a Deflector Cloak is very well balanced (or will be, at least). At least it can still be damaged in battle! It wouldn't hold up in very many battles and most importantly, it takes away from your ability to wear other cloaks that would give you an even greater advantage! After all, there's already a Body Piercing cloak and a Mirror Cloak (which is not much different except a Deflector cloak works ONLY against magic) well as a number of perks that give an equal or greater advantage to players in battle! I really don't see where all of the hostility towards this comes from!

Now, if Mages want something to balance it, How about a Cloak of Stone Skin! Reduce All Physical Damage from combat by %30! Of course, such a thing could only work in PK. It would make training way too easy.

Edited by Kami

Besides! Monster Magnetism is broken and needs to be taken out of the game anyway so there's no way in hell you are going to get Human Magnetism!

comes from!

Now, if Mages want something to balance it, How about a Cloak of Stone Skin! Reduce All Physical Damage from combat by %30! Of course, such a thing could only work in PK. It would make training way too easy.

Define "Broken".

I think he was being a bit sarcastic in what he said about human magnetism.

Not only mages would wear such a cloak, and restricting it to a magic level wouldn't work well.

And I dunno what hostility you're talking about. ;/

Edited by Hazor

Well, Maybe Hostiliy may not be the right word. But I seams as though the only people who are totally against the idea are Mages and only becauses they're under some misguilded impression I'm here to Kill off the Magic System!

Geez! It's not like I'm suggesting Magic-Proof Shields or Magic Nulifiers or something!

P.S.

"Broken" = As in Cutting down all real player-effort in Half as to where a Player needent bother to try any more.

Granted that because of the dangers in the mines preventing Low level Harvesters from making any productive gains, Some protection is required but It shouldn't be so abused! Something So important, So Vital shouldn't never be so totally seggated from the game as to NEED the MM Cloak/Perk. I'm just saying the game can and will work without them, but remove the Need for the Cloaks or at least make them better or less abusable.

Look, a Random Monster attack in the mines, Perfect! It's believable and balanced. But having a Skeleton Army always present in the Titan mines is just ridiculous! I mean, it's right outside the Gates of the Richest Town on the Continant! Shouldn't the Skeletons or the reason for the Skeletons have been elemenated by now? You know, for the second most profitable Market for the whole town, you'd think they could send a Regiment down there and clean it out, right? I mean, a Goblin Infestation in Morcraven Marsh or VotD is understandable, seeing as those are places without the Money or Manpower to keep them in check but Portland is a different story.

Sorry. I just like to rant sometimes. I'm just anal and a Perfectionist!

Edited by Kami

you're right.

skeletons in the mines are there to stop everyone making bigtime gold off the titanium.

*claps*

...ya know, i've seen skeletons (and other monsters and even rabbits) just spawn out of nowhere :o - how unrealistic, it should be stopped :)

If everybody made gold out of titanium, then titanium will be less valuable than a flower.