Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Astrocreep

Custom Clients

I've been planning to write an EL bot from scratch in python.

Is this allowed and if so, is protocol documentation available?

Of course i can read all the info i need from client sources but a real document would of course be much nicer..

edit: by 'allowed' i mean testing 100% unofficial client code in EL server

Edited by Astrocreep

theres no documentation. get the sources from CVS.

hint for python: use module struct to build data packets to send to server and extract the data u receive.

for testing better use the test server on port 2001.

theres no documentation. get the sources from CVS.

hint for python: use module struct to build data packets to send to server and extract the data u receive.

for testing better use the test server on port 2001.

yes, struct will come in handy =)

didn't know about test server... thanks

Guest Zeplin

Of course i can read all the info i need from client sources but a real document would of course be much nicer..

lol, technicly speaking, No its not alloud, Infact, Nothing that isnt the offical compiled client from the main web site, is legally able to connect to the server.

However, There is a thread to declare bots (General Chat), Directly countering the licence for connecting.

unless you are expected to use the offical client to make the bot =)

lol, technicly speaking, No its not alloud, Infact, Nothing that isnt the offical compiled client from the main web site, is legally able to connect to the server.

However, There is a thread to declare bots (General Chat), Directly countering the licence for connecting.

unless you are expected to use the offical client to make the bot =)

Yes, i've read the licence terms.. i just don't like the idea of modding the official client to work as a bot, i would need to strip out so much code (all graphics/sound related) and make it a console app.

I think it will be much simplier to rewrite the whole thing in python, which i know much better than C.

so, of course i will declare this bot as soon as i get it working.. but in the meanwhile, i'll be testing it in test server (do i need to declare my bot for that, too?)

I've modified the development rules and the bot declaration thread to clear this up.

And you should declare your bot before you start working on it, and declare what you intend for your bot to do. This is partly for your sanity, as you probably don't want to work for months on a bot, and then have us say that it's illegal.

I've modified the development rules and the bot declaration thread to clear this up.

And you should declare your bot before you start working on it, and declare what you intend for your bot to do. This is partly for your sanity, as you probably don't want to work for months on a bot, and then have us say that it's illegal.

i declared this bot earlier today, name will be Tuxedo and purpose is mentioned in bot thread. Thanks for clearing things up.. i didn't rush the declaration as the project is still in planning stage.