Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna

Lifelink

(I vaguely remember reading a post a long time ago that mentioned something like this, but it's been deleted or buried. So I thought I'd revamp the idea, and call it lifelink.)

I wonder...is it possible to implement an option or a perk that allows players a limited form of #tp? That means, being able to teleport instantly to the other player that you are life-linked to, to aid them, heal them, or fight by their side. It's similar to the concept of sworn brotherhood, in ancient China. Of course, this would bring whole new dimensions to the game, so I think it needs to be carefully thought out, but here's just the general idea of what I propose:

1) Let players choose to use #lifelink <other player name> to form a link. This should, of course, be terribly expensive to do - maybe make it cost 10k or some expensive items (swearing brotherhood over a serpent sword! ;):)), or even make it into a perk (perk enables it, but you still have to type the command to choose your life-partner). You can revoke a lifelink by paying even more money (double or triple the initial cost).

2) It's probably best to restrict lifelinks to only 1 or 2 other players. Of course, lifelinks need to be mutually accepted, so a prompt is needed. Then, at any given time, the player can type #link <name> (or just #link if there's only 1) to instantly teleport to his lifelinked partner's side.

3) The impacts that I can foresee in the game are these:

- The act of marriage could become a lot more interesting...the respective spouses could lifelink themselves to each other as part of the symbolism. Roleplaying gains a very powerful tool. Sworn brothers/sisters also becomes a very real option.

- If it's well-planned, it could revolutionise warfare tactics. (Calling in a summoner or a healer at the last minute, jumping from map to map, etc.) You might even be able to organise a guild chain offensive. (eg. 1 member is lifelinked to another, who is lifelinked to another, and so on in a long chain - and they all come teleporting down within seconds of each other). Whether this is a plus or a minus, I don't know.

- Likewise, it would make harvester-manu-runner partnerships more efficient. How this will affect the economy, I don't know yet.

- It may provide a foundation for the implementation of apprenticeships later on in the game (provided the master is willing, of course).

- Crafting and the rings trade would suffer a heavy blow. Hellspawn would also be negated (unless you maybe make #link inoperable in the underworld).

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. What do you guys think? Is it useful? Is it beneficial? Is it practical? Is it workable? Or is it not worth the trouble it may cause?

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

I think its a brilliant idea. But whether it is possible is out of my scope ;)

Perhaps you could have it's use as a spell. So you set a life link, but you have to cast the spell to teleport.

This could introduce more spells such as 'wizards eye' where you can see exactly where your 'lifelink' partner is?

But on the whole, if its possible, i believe this may add a whole new era to the game.

Nice idea!

it's a cool idea, and i can see the potential for it to be comically abused if that chain of lifelinked guild members spots a hated <insert opposition guild here> someone (briefly) alone and wandering a pk map...

hehe instant war.

I generally disagree with it being a spell, because that would limit the scope of what lifelink can do. It's easiest as a command, because #link is fairly easy to type (especially if you're rushed for time in combat) and won't fail. Furthermore, by putting it as a spell, only those players who are interested in magic would go for it. Others may not feel it's worth it. The concept of lifelink only gains its true power when it's widely in use, and reasonably accessible by all. (But that's just my opinion...) ;)

However, the "Wizard's Eye" spell of being able to see your lifelinked partner's location sounds perfectly valid for a spell. (Although I'm not sure exactly how you're going to 'see' your lifelink partner's location...a new window? Or just a line of information with coordinates?)

-Lyn-

EDIT:

it's a cool idea, and i can see the potential for it to be comically abused if that chain of lifelinked guild members spots a hated <insert opposition guild here> someone (briefly) alone and wandering a pk map...

hehe instant war.

That's sort of the point. :) It would really cause major headaches for some people, but would inject some life into the guilds. (They become more active and united against outsiders.)

I like this idea. It will make people think twice about pulling some of the stupid stuff they do. It's implimentation (sp?) will mean that people who purposely agitate or agrevate others who lifelink will have greater reprocussions. It's easy to pick on the little guy...but what happens when the little guy is lifelinked to a bigger guy. And that bigger guy to another guy. It could be used as a deterrence and punishment for all the stupid little jackasses.

-just my 2 cents

I love it as RP stimulant BUT its impact on economy//gameplay worries me... so I think it would best be to have it as... a spell. Maybe the spell with no chance of failing but still.

So first you'd need to get the perk//run ritual etc. and then cast the spell each time you use it.

Tweaking the spell 'costs' could save the economy from drastic impact and abuse of this feature (if it would be only one time expense and then free, imagine how fast would be to harvest -> storage etc. :D )

I guess spell cost of 5 life essences and 30-40 etheral points should be OK. (?)

:)

Personally I don't think it's a good idea. Like Quell said, great RP idea..but for the economy and such...ah..I don't think so. I see all kinds of abuse reports and stupid fights following it

How about make it a moderator command used for players when they request and time line: In game

month before it can be unset? I think marriages are cool RPing idea. ;-)

Regards.

Maybe also add in maybe get use teleport option lifelink only once day so

or make knew stats call lifefore so that when use teleport it reduce life force significatly.

1. regen rate if at all would be like 1 lifeforce point day

2. is no potion or spell that can be use recover lifeforce

3. that also make so slower regen rate other stat like etheral and material as lifeforce goes down.

4 Also when make stuff you failed more for lower lifeforce is

5 that lower lifeforce is less like you are hit your oppent and less damage done to oppent

6 spells would fail more often maybe take more ethereal points lower life force is

7. maybe lifelike also make lifeforce regen rate recovery more lifeforce points

8. maybe create weapons use up lifeforce point too that would cause lots damage oppent

So what do think of my suggest

Scenario:

Linked man goes to CC.

Linked man mines full load of iron/sulfur/quartz etc.

Linked man's link partner stands near DP storage.

Linked man types #link

Linked man repeats and repeats and repeats.

This ties in with the #mark and the teleport to mark commands. Don't take this as anything other than constructive critiscizm; you should think about all aspects of the game and all the ways that they would be affected before typing it. I do, however, like the idea of having a link. Friendship, marriage and other social labels could be known to you and maybe others if a #info_(name) command was put in.

It's past my bed time :D ,

~S