Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest Zeplin

Depth Buffer Shadows Vs Stencil Buffer

I'm not sure yet; I think I'll go into town tomorrow to check out prices and what's available.. Any tips on what I should get? :)

I know it will be a Nvidia card ;)

I second the 4200. That's what I have, and I'm happy with it. I can even play Doom 3 on medium quality. I haven't even tried high quality, I don't want my card to explode.

I'd recommend getting a GeforceFX 5600 or 5700 (keep your hands off LE though). It supports shader model 2 (the Geforce4's don't) and is fairly cheap. Furthermore they're a bit faster than the Geforce4's :-)

Depends on how much $ you have, and how much you want to spend.

Around here, the Geforce4's are almost impossible to get, and they're priced around the same level as the GeforceFX's. Since Umrion is from Scandinvia as well, I figured it was about the same :rolleyes:

How much is a FX 5700 in DK?

Geforce4 Ti-4200 ~ 100$

GeforceFX 5600 ~ 100$

GeforceFX 5700 ~ 150$

The GeforceFX 5700 is however quite a lot faster than the GeforceFX 5600.

Umrion - if you don't have a hard time reading danish, here's a link to an article some of my colleagues wrote when launching GeforceFX 5700 (at least you can look at the graphs :huh:):

http://www.hardinfo.dk/show.asp?page=3611

Personally, I would love a 6800 GT, but that would pretty much bankrupt me :P

Haha, $ is always the main problem ;-)

It's a pity that nVIDIA don't have their 6600 out yet for the AGP platform (PCI Express only) as it's their new generation mid-range product (hence it'll be priced just a bit higher than the 5700), and it supports Shader model 3.0 amongst others :)

It's a pity that nVIDIA don't have their 6600 out yet for the AGP platform (PCI Express only) as it's their new generation mid-range product (hence it'll be priced just a bit higher than the 5700), and it supports Shader model 3.0 amongst others :P

Yeah, I've had my eye on it. After playing Doom 3 with my ti 4200, I don't know if I can justify buying a new card for a while still. I've been trying to hold out and build an entire new computer after I graduate.

A Geforce 6700 should be here within the next half year as well... But you didn't hear it from me :P

I think it'll be a Geforce FX5700 then..

keep your hands off LE though

All the sales people I talked to today seemed to think LE was a good buy :P

The difference is that it has lower memory and clock speed, right?

Thanks for the help, guys :)

Let me change that to a "be on watch" when purchasing a 5700 LE. You may end up with a card that uses a 64-bit memory bus (the normal is 128 or 256 at high-end) or a card with _very_ low clock frequencies, as nVIDIA never set any guidelines for the producers of the LE-cards. If you want to be sure, grab the normal or the ultra-version, or they may trick you.