Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Orick

Birds flying over walls

Evidently, the idea of having them fly over a lake is frowned upon due to the Haidir quest.

The game probably could treat differences in height correctly, but it obviously does not.

Next up if lakes get to fly over walls and lakes: birds must perch in trees or be flying instead of flapping their wings and managing to stay in one place

Birds currently use the same walkable tile system as players and all other mobs. There is nothing in the server to allow different types of movement restrictions. Without additional map data being available, implementing this would mean they could fly anywhere on the map, even through mountains.

If this was implemented, they would have to be removed from all invances or they would be lost due to birds constantly flying over the wall.

Or all the maps would have to have "no walk areas" where they can't go... Didn't think of that... It would be cool to have it but that I guess would be to much of an overhaul for the game

Most no-walk areas are implemented right now be a height difference greater than X (I don't know if it is 2,3,4 or what).

If the server could use a different algorithm for different creature type ID's, it could then support birds in a more natural way.

If we wanted things to look right when they cross over walls and holdes in the ground, the server will need to be able to keep track of a height position and report it to the client for rendering. Without that, it would be comical to watch them.

Yeah, and by no walk areas I more ment turn the map off in those areas... Only I don't know if you can turn off parts of a map but still keep the overlaying graphics