Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aredhel

Secret Recipes, Items, Spells etc.

As of now, all new recipes have been engraved into the encyclopedia, and can be made by everyone who have read the book (plus levels + nexus of course) . this system does make sure we can specialize in skills, but i find that people will just grind very much and have all possible knowledge in all skills after a while.

The improvement I believe is worth a thought, is, to have some secret recipes and spells in game.

Some of the new items added to the game should require special knowledge to make which can only be gained by completing some quest, entering a special location, or whatever.

Maybe some of the quest NPCs offer the quest only to those who already have achieved a certain level in some skill, or might be selective to races, m/f chars, character age etc..

This should be interesting for new spells added to the game, as well.

From the game mechanics' point of view, the quest simply replaces reading the book so i assume it's easy to implement (not sure if same is applies to spells because there are no books or anything equivalent.)

What I am hoping to achieve with this is, to have some items in games which can't be made by "just everyone" - they should be rather low and mid-level so some of the newer players also have got a chance for having special knowledge that not "everybody" has got.

Of course, possibly there are already secret recipes which i don't know about, so if that's true, please ignore what i have just said ^^

For spells, sigils and ingredients are the components. Some sigils could be acquired by a quest or something, I suppose.

If what you propose comes true, I hope the quests do not rely on massively expensive things or killing massively tough monsters. If such requirements were in place, it would mainly be the rich and powerful that get to do these. It needs to be open to others, yet require effort/luck/timing for it to be a worthwhile addition to the game.

I may be wrong, but I think I saw a similar post about a year ago. I suck at finding things, so I will let someone else find it if they want to.

Hi!

I may be wrong, but I think I saw a similar post about a year ago. I suck at finding things, so I will let someone else find it if they want to.

Yes there is something related- pity i found it only AFTER posting this because i never thought of the term "secret" before i actually typed it.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47814&st=0&p=481822&hl=secret&fromsearch=1entry481822

and yes it would be nice to get the knowledge by something other than gc/grinding... luck? why not! the rich can already buy the expensive books.

and yes for spells, sigils could be found, maybe you really need to talk to a certain NPC to get the sigils, so nothing similar to books needed :D

Part of the solution is a random factor. If the requirement for quests are not so much the same because you need to do different things, perhaps in different orders then a cheat sheet does not help as much. Add possible changes per release and then it requires the person doing the quest to at least be more involved in quests. Some could be like mixing where you need to make something in presence of NPC to go to next step.

It would end just like every quest. Well documented on various forums and not much of a secret for a long time. You cannot make something too secret in MMO, most people share info and give others quite a lot advice :)

If there was a roaming npc that you had to find, that would definitely make it harder to acquire knowledge from the npc.

If there was a roaming npc that you had to find, that would definitely make it harder to acquire knowledge from the npc.

This one turns out harder to achieve than I thought- Imagining Joker giving out books for example, which are not available anywhere else, wouldn't be much different to having drop books from monsters.