Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Quest log and Notepad / URL window changes

Radu requested that I make a few changes to the client to make the quest log more prominent; that is give the quest log it's own icon and a separate window. This meant that something had to go to free space. The URL icon has gone and that window now sits as a tab on a new window along with the notepad.

gallery_14814_57_26901.jpg

gallery_14814_57_14589.jpg

The quest log has a new (been around for a few months) NPC filter window which can be resized and scrolled to cope with the increasing number of NPCs in game.

gallery_14814_57_66774.jpg

I have also added support for the new quest ID information that the server will send with each entry. The quest entries are tagged with the quest ID and the title of new quests are requested from the server. All known quest titles are displayed in a new window. Selecting one of the titles in this window causes the main quest log window to only display the entries from the selected quest. The server now also sends information about completed quests. Completed quests are indicated in the quest title window with a pale colour compared to non-completed quests.

gallery_14814_57_22355.jpg

The main quest window has a few new options and provides access to the two filters.

gallery_14814_57_533.jpg

The new quest window can also be opened/closed using (currently) ctrl+g. I intend to add a few additional features to the quest title window. For example, an option to not display completed quests. I will also make it possible to manually tag existing quest entries with a quest ID. It may be that we will get more server support to help with already started quests, it all depends on Radu's time; he has a lot of work to do to tag all the quests!

Ideas, suggestions etc. are welcome as always.

That looks really nice!

My only suggestion would be to maybe attach the NPC list to the Quest window..so it's always showing, and make the whole window resizeable? Is there a need to have them 2 separate windows?

I like how the NPC list is pinned to the Quest log window so they move together if the Quest log is moved, but the opposite isn't true - that can get confusing if I try to relocate the windows, say I move the NPC list first then try to move the Quest log.  It should be all or nothing I think either they are pinned or not pinned regardless of which window is moved. I do like the fact that I can choose whether I want to see the (huge) list of NPCs tho.

Outside of that, I think it's great to have the Quest log more prominent.  It was somewhat hidden previously, just don't hit Ctrl+Q for "Q"uest log. :)

That looks really nice!

My only suggestion would be to maybe attach the NPC list to the Quest window..so it's always showing, and make the whole window resizeable? Is there a need to have them 2 separate windows?

The problem I see with one combined window is that the NPC and Quest list filter windows do not need to be used/visible all the time so would be taking up space. Another problem is that they could get pretty big. I already have over 70 NPC names in my list. I do not normally need to see them all at the same time but is is convenient to have the choice. An an example....

gallery_14814_57_70714.jpg

I like how the NPC list is pinned to the Quest log window so they move together if the Quest log is moved, but the opposite isn't true - that can get confusing if I try to relocate the windows, say I move the NPC list first then try to move the Quest log.  It should be all or nothing I think either they are pinned or not pinned regardless of which window is moved. I do like the fact that I can choose whether I want to see the (huge) list of NPCs tho.

Outside of that, I think it's great to have the Quest log more prominent.  It was somewhat hidden previously, just don't hit Ctrl+Q for "Q"uest log. :)

The window pinning is just how the client window system works. Unless we choose to change things substantially, you make one window a child of another then when the parent is moved or closed, all the children move or close too. Any child can be move or closed independently from the parent.

On both these suggestions, personally, I'm happy with how things are now but I'm happy to change things so the majority of folks are happy.

Oh, one thing I just noticed, can the NPC list be arranged to go vertically A-Z instead of horizontally across rows(the alphabetizing)? Like first fill columns, then rows?

Oh, one thing I just noticed, can the NPC list be arranged to go vertically A-Z instead of horizontally across rows(the alphabetizing)? Like first fill columns, then rows?

Sure, come to think of it, I guess that is the more normal way. :blush:

Edit: Oh, the scrolling now become odd, we now need a horizontal scroll bar....

Edited by bluap