Eternal Lands Official Forums
r0wan

User maps only work in EL program directory?

I was under the impression that third party installable BMP maps, such as Bloodsuckers, could be copied to (Ubuntu)$ ~/.elc/main/maps and they would work. The major maps do work; however, internal maps such as the inside of caves or even houses do not work. If I copy them instead to /usr/share/games/EternalLands/maps/, then all of the maps work including the internal ones.

It seems as if a user is only able to replace EL system maps if they already exist. Additional maps which do not already exist in the system directory will not be displayed?

The above is for Ubuntu 10.04; however, I also have an XP laptop.

In XP, installing third party maps into My Documents\Eternal Lands\main\maps behaves in much the same way.

I would like to suggest checking user directories first for existing maps to override default maps in the system directory for all operating environments.

Thank you for your consideration,

r0wan

I was under the impression that third party installable BMP maps, such as Bloodsuckers, could be copied to (Ubuntu)$ ~/.elc/main/maps and they would work. The major maps do work; however, internal maps such as the inside of caves or even houses do not work. If I copy them instead to /usr/share/games/EternalLands/maps/, then all of the maps work including the internal ones.

You need to put all replacement bmp map files in "~/.elc/updates/1_9_0/maps/". Any bmp maps placed in this directory will be used in preference to the official ones located in "/usr/share/games/EternalLands/maps/".

The same applies to the Windows and MAC client.

Windows: Put the maps into 'My Documents\Eternal Lands\updates\1_9_0\maps\'

MAC: Put the maps into your personal 'Library/Application Support/Eternal Lands/updates/1_9_0/maps/' folder

If the '1_9_0' folder doesn't exist, simply create it.

Edited by Sir_Odie

Thank you both.

Let me modify my suggestion to have the client list out the map files it is using when it starts/loads including the absolute directory paths. That would make debugging a whole lot easier. Stuff it into srv_log.txt.

While the client is being modified, it would be nice if the list of custom clothes servers were also logged.

r0wan

Let me modify my suggestion to have the client list out the map files it is using when it starts/loads including the absolute directory paths. That would make debugging a whole lot easier.

I don't really think this is necessary...

If you put stuff in ~/.elc/updates/the_client_version/ it works. Every time.

No need to debug it :icon13: It'd just be making our HDD's write more data unnecessarily :>