Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lorck

What makes a player a "noob"?

Ok, there is an instanced called "noob instance" for players over 60 a/d, then there is a comment from entropy saying people with 40 a/d are mid level. So there is a skill threshold where you stop being a noob? Also, its the noob word related to the time people started the game? Its it related to do "noob" things, that is, doing stupid things which more expirienced folks would not do? What REALLY makes someone be a noob?

BTW, i know i am a noob, and if i was looking for the definition of "noob" i should look at the mirror... :medieval: but there are something else"?

EDIT:Oh. btw, this thread its not aimed at anyone in particular, just there was a discussion about "who should be considered noob" on ch 6, and i would like to hear what the community in general think about it.

Edited by Lorck

Definition of a n00b: A term used to describe an experienced/unskilled gamer. n00b is commonly used to describe someone who has been around awhile, knows the game but still fails at it.

Definition of a newb(short for newbie, btw): A term used to describe a inexperienced gamer. Unlike a n00b, a newb is someone who actually doesn't know the game and is still learning.

Edited by Luigi

Definition of a n00b: A term used to describe an experienced/unskilled gamer. n00b is commonly used to describe someone who has been around awhile, knows the game but still fails at it.

Definition of a newb(short for newbie, btw): A term used to describe a inexperienced gamer. Unlike a n00b, a newb is someone who actually doesn't know the game and is still learning.

[JuvenaL @ 6]: that is the wikipedia definition of noob, i guess
[JuvenaL @ 6]: not in EL terms
[JuvenaL @ 6]: I would like to see what "still learning" means in EL...
[Liam @ 6]: how are they different?
[JuvenaL @ 6]: but in EL when one person stops being a "noob", when he "knows about the game"?

Edited by Lorck

I think Kav's definition still comes closest to how to interpret the terms.

As for the 'n00b instance', I guess you should see that in the context of purely the instance, it's simply the lowest level instance existing in game so far.

It's funny though, I'm fairly sure if you ask 100 people to explain, they will all have their own views on it, some will even give you slightly different explanations for noob, n00b, naab, nub, nab, etc.

In my opinion (which by no means should be a guideline ^^):

A newbie is a relatively new and inexperienced player.

Noob or n00b is someone who has the levels and experience but isn't showing to have actually learnt something

E.g.: finding out about the mix all button at alch level 54. Or finding out about alt+click on item to get 10 in mixingmenu after 2 years of playing. Or using a cotu for bear training thinking it will stop the manaburn (that last one was me :medieval:)

Or a noob/n00b could also be someone who thinks to know all but phails epically at it.

E.g. a player with over 100 a/d thinking vitality gives EMU.

Edited by Dilly

Noob or n00b is someone who has the levels and experience but isn't showing to have actually learnt something

E.g.: finding out about the mix all button at alch level 54. Or finding out about alt+click on item to get 10 in mixingmenu after 2 years of playing. Or using a cotu for bear training thinking it will stop the manaburn (that last one was me :medieval:)

and the second one was me :P trying to make some conglos hahaha

anyway i think that "noob" is a word derived from the comparation against players, and how feels the player that was called "noob" about it.