Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ranger_86

Quests - using instantiated dungeons

It's been quite a time since I started playing EL and it seems it's more oriented to players that play EL for a long time instead of trying to get new souls to this virtual world. One of the things that might help make the game much more interesting and appealing for newcomers used to WoW,Eve,UO would be to implement a quest creating framework. Here's the idea:

QUESTS

-each quest would have a story and a specific goal (clear the sewers from monsters, retrieve some artifact, etc.) and a prize for its completion

-each quest would have some maximum attributes defined so noone with higher capabilities would be able to join for the quest (although some automatic difficulty customization based on the lvl of the person would be more useful)

-every quest would use its own dungeon or map which would be an independent instance for every player or group of players assigned to the specific quest

TIPS

-create a easy2write interpreted language to define the quests (XML), so it's easy for people to create new quests, thus pottentialy making it avaliable for bots

-assign someone to create a more complex story using the framework making it more appealing for new people

-allow the use of giving EXP bonuses, GC, etc. for completing the quests (motivation for people to do them thus emerge deeper into the game)

-potentialy allow quests to be hosted on different servers once approved by Radu or someone in charge (would allow guilds,etc. to create their special quests,trials,etc. and would save the official servers bandwidth)

actually.. if im not mistaken.. EL was ment to have alot of quests and story lines in it.. but over time other priorities and maybe lack of writers/programmers or whatever for the issue has kept them from developing..

i like doing quests.. but it takes alot of work i would imagine to make them.. alot of story lines to create.. NPC's for the quests.. idk.. i like the idea. but not sure how long we will have to wait for more quests..

Would be nice to have quests created off of storys from the new story section. :whistle:

Well, I actually searched the forum, so I've found out about the similar ideas. I was just wondering if something might have changed since the new feature of "instaces" is in ... I suppose if the support for this feature is in, the next step might be to use it for the quests generating, hence solving the well discussed problem "What if I'd go into a dungeon while doing a quest to kill a monster and some high OA player does it instead thus not allowing me to complete it ?"

So all I wanted was just raise the topic once again since the circumstances have changed a little.

It's been quite a time since I started playing EL and it seems it's more oriented to players that play EL for a long time instead of trying to get new souls to this virtual world.
w00! :) I'm not going crazy then, someone else sees the seemingly invisible imp plaguing us. :wub:

More quests does seem necessary... I can't tell you how long its been since I've had a good quest in EL... And they are too hard to seek out... (Though I don't move around enough to find them :wub: )