Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DanRothar

Invasion Improvement Idea

The number of invasions I have actually fought in can be counted in single digit figures, and at the last NDD invasion I participated in I managed to kill 1 lion, before a high level player walked through all monsters around me and in a matter of minutes there were no monsters left in VotD. I enjoyed the few seconds it lasted, but it was to short. This set me thinking of ways to make invasions more fun for all level players.

(Note! By the nature of the topic level in this post regards only combat related levels.)

The problem as I see it is that:

• for low level players the most invasion monsters are to strong.
  • for mid level players the available monsters are cleared out to fast. As all monsters that we can kill are killed almost before we reach them maps where they are.
  • for high level players there are to many low level monsters clogging up the maps.

I'm somewhere between the first two categories, so most invasions as they are now, are no fun for me, and I thus end up harving in safe spot or mixing in a storage.

In some invasions the mods have added low and mid level monsters to specific maps repeatedly during an invasion. I assume this is to make the invasion fun for low to mid range players. But in my experience there are always a few high level players one-hitting the monsters and thus by the time I have killed the monster I was fighting (or returning from the Under World for failing to do so) there are not many, if any, monsters left for players at my level.

What I have been thinking of is a system that will leave monsters for all levels of players. The idea is that in some invasions, each map has a combat span, so that players can only attack invasion monsters of a certain level relative to themselves. This system will most likely only work on smaller maps, as ie. White Stone is so large that it would require to many players of all levels to clear it out.

An example could be that in VotD you could only fight monsters with a combat rating +/- 10 of your own, in Portland the number would be 20, in Nordcarn 30, in MM 40 etc., and in pk maps there would be no limits. On each map there would then spawn a range of creatures, so that there will be monsters for all levels.

The numbers above have just been taken out of nowhere as examples, as I have no idea how combat rating affect combat ability.

And I know it's not very realistic that invasion monsters should be unaggressive to some players, especially to players that they could kill with a few quick strokes, this is not about realism but about making invasions fun for more players.

I don't know if it is at all possible to make such a system without major reprogramming, but I hope at least some of my ideas can make it into the game in one form or another.

I don't like this idea at all. In my opinion it goes against the spirit of invasions, i.e. a massive spawn of aggressive to everybody creatures.

As for your last comment:

I don't know if it is at all possible to make such a system without major reprogramming, but I hope at least some of my ideas can make it into the game in one form or another.

Everybody who happens to post in this forums shares your hope.

I don't like this idea at all. In my opinion it goes against the spirit of invasions, i.e. a massive spawn of aggressive to everybody creatures.

I thought the spirit of invasions as well as the game was to have fun, but I might be wrong there.

I thought the spirit of invasions as well as the game was to have fun, but I might be wrong there.

you're not happy when millions of ants or termites invade you house :) - invasion = intrusion = kill all \o/

anyway higher players kill all hey can for the removal stones and tokens... :)

You are wrong. Most invasions in EL, imo, are specifically geared to either poof rostos, or break armor.

You are wrong. Most invasions in EL, imo, are specifically geared to either poof rostos, or break armor.

Why so? no one makes you fight in them

Invasions are a blast, NDD or no. It just takes a significant amount of work/time to train and get to a level where you can hunt invasion monsters of a level high enough that they don't all die immediately. I think everyone probably experiences the same thing at first - no monsters available to kill or they are available, but they get killed too fast. I don't personally see this as a flaw in the game or something that needs improvement, rather it's incentive to train a/d.

Um, ya, i know... i didn't say anyone was forced to lose rosto or break armor, i just said that it's how the invasions are geared to be.

I don't often participate in invasions anymore, for this exact reason ;)

Um, ya, i know... i didn't say anyone was forced to lose rosto or break armor, i just said that it's how the invasions are geared to be.

I don't often participate in invasions anymore, for this exact reason ;)

I'm glad your great insight let you see through the people spending their time preparing and running invasions for you.

@Invasion

Invasions were never meant to be one more means of training. Limiting the ability of attacking and being attacked by creatures would change an invasion into easy training session. That's the main reason I don't like the idea.

Moreover, invasions are meant to provide some fun, adrenaline and stress. They aren't too frequent for the very same reason. Something that is overdosed gets common.

From the storyline point of view limiting invasions in a proposed way doesn't make sense at all, either. If we consider invasion an influence of 'evil' gods like Mortos or 'mad' gods like Lucaa it's pretty obvious they wouldn't make an difference between weak or strong fighters. What's on their way is either too isnignificant to spot.

From our side we're trying to spread invasion through several maps keeping strong monsters far from weak (mixing them has some aims too). If somebody feels like being an arse and run around killing weaker creatures, spoiling others time we cannot be kept responsible for it. In my sincere opinion it is just the very same case as stealing bags during invasion while being invisible. You just need a certain jerk to do it.

Edited by Eiri

I did not propose to make all moderated invasion the way I describe in my first post, and I fully agree with you, Eiri, that Mortos and Centau invasions could not be run that way, and that invasions should not be easy training sessions. But designing some invasions in a way that would let low and mid level fighters experience the adrenalin rush of fighting in an invasion, would in my opinion be a good idea, and that was and is my intention with the proposal.

An idea that might work better, and fit better with the storyline of the game, could be that during the first phase of this type of invasion (not any other kind of invasions), certain maps are accessible only to players of a certain combat level range, the excuse could be something like the "defence council have decreed that it is not safe for you to be on that map", or "the defence council have decreed that your fighting skills are required elsewhere."

The last NDD invasion I participated in was fun....... the few seconds it lasted.

Invasions are supposed to be dangerous - add excitement to the game that after some hours of hauling ore from that mine, suddenly, it's dangerous there. As much as some who run invasions do try to partition things so more people can participate, the primary goal as I see it is the danger, not the partitioning or as Eiri put it, the training opportunity.

I like the basic concept of the idea, but I think it should be more of an intimidation kind of thing. :)

Players aren't chased by lower level monsters below a 10-20 level range under the player's combat level, and they can't attack them. They are attacked and able to attack monsters in that 10-20 level range below them, and anything higher.

Invasions may not be intended for training, but many high leveled players do take advantage of them as such. :) And those high leveled players make it difficult for lower leveled players to have any fun with high or low leveled invasion monsters.

This would also make invasions harder to stop since the high level players normally stop them before they spread; it would require more people to participate, else have votd or another map invaded, forcing more people into it. :)

--Air