Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rmcin329

Been getting low FPS ever since new client....

Hi i've been having problems getting decent FPS ever since the new client has been installed on my computer(i no longer have the old one).

I normally get about 74 FPS standing still which is fine, but when i try to move everything gets very laggy and the fps drops to anywhere between 4 and 20. Also if theres more then about 2 chars/monsters on the screen things get even worse and even freeze up constatly, and i end up getting a few "resync with the server" messages.

Currently i'm using Comcast high speed cable modem for internet, which works fantastic for everything BUT Eternal Lands, including games with bettter gfx, higher system requirements, and tons more people online. I've tried disabling everything including sound and both high and low resolutions in game. I can run the game in window mode without any lag but honestly i HATE window mode on games. Beyond that before the recent updates and new client i was able to get higher FPS with all options enabled, and had minimal lag.

I've also noticed that during startup(of EL) these 2 files aren't found 1.GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extentsion and 2. GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension(those are EXACTLY how the names of them show up). It comments about not using them too. Dont think its download related as i downloaded the new client for the game only 24 hours ago. I'll admit there are times when i can move without it getting laggy and choppy, but they never last for more then maybe 60sec, and are extremely rare anyways. Computer Specs below(let me know if i miss any, because i'm not too good at technical stuff)

EDIT

I've been playing around with the NVIDIA control panel, setting it over to performance gets me fantistically higher FPS standing still(about 180-190 average) but moving around hasn't changed. Especially when theres more then me and one other person/creature on screen, then it gets REAL ugly. Also been noting theres sometimes short periods(5min at the most) where i don't lag at all walking around even with tons of people on the screen.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Hard drive: 148GB total, 119GB free right now and 29.7 used

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A11

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.80GHz (2CPUs)

Internet Speed: 3.25 Megabits per second 396.kilobytes per second. That info is gotten from the internet speed test link, in the FAQ thread of this forum.

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 3239MB available

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX it has 512MB of RAM The driver is up to date for my video card.

Edited by rmcin329

finished talking with him, and we tried everything we could think of, still no real help on the matter.

EDIT

I've been noting that this is less of a problem on the whitestone map, then it is on the isle prima map.

Edited by rmcin329

more updated info on this issue below

I've been experimenting more and using window mode isn't helping with my lag issues at all, however disabling all the sounds fixes my problems. However i actually like using the sounds for this game.....Unfortanatly theres nothign i can do about my sound issues though as i don't know how to compile a client. Doing so would allow me to use some debug commands to find out more about my problems, as bluap mentioned in my topic about sound issues.

I've also noticed that during startup(of EL) these 2 files aren't found 1.GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extentsion and 2. GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension(those are EXACTLY how the names of them show up). It comments about not using them too. Dont think its download related as i downloaded the new client for the game only 24 hours ago.

These have nothing to do with your problem, but just for clarification: these are not files, but sets of functions offered to applications by your graphics card/drivers. In particular, this means your graphics card/driver does not support compressed textures (which are only used to save some graphics memory, and have essentially no impact on performance), and the EL client is not using that particular feature, which is perfectly fine - it will just use uncompressed textures.

As for your sound-related issues, I'm afraid I cannot provide any better advice than what client developers have already told you. It might be impossible to diagnose the problem without debug info, and you will have to compile the client to enable those. Whatever advice bluap gave you, it is probably the best you could get.

Instead of spending all this time complaining and blaming others for not fixing your problems for you, how about you spend that time reading the instructions on how to compile your own client:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

I have been trying to do that, and honestly i don't have the knowledge needed to accomplish compiling my own client. So far haven't even managed to do the CVS checkout properly. Doing this kind of stuff is completly new to me, so i probably wont get anywhere at all.

Edited by rmcin329

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this