Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eagleprince

Selling characters and Rule 5(1,2)

I have level 56 magic and i've never heard of such abbreviation (TTPR). And i haven't used the portals room for ages. Prefer walking. And don't see a problem with thet :o

I wouldn't consider giving her to someone else or even allowing someone to do a character wipe on her because she hasn't been logged on in X amount of time.
Well, (as far as I know), the character wipes don't happen for accounts that are 'played' or leveled a decent amount. I think the only accounts that are pruned are the ones that either earned no exp (they just take up the name, and server space), or less than 1 days worth of game exp. Other chars don't get deleted, there have been people returning to game after not playing for 2 years even.

Anyway, I 100% agree with the rest of your post. For example, there is a certain someone, who I will not name here, who I met when I logged on EL main server for the first time in about a year. She is 125 a/d, has higher oa, better equiptment, but was consistently loosing to my levels. For the first round she didn't know what magic immunity was, someone had to teach it to her. :o

I bought a character once, regretted it a few months later, and then locked the account and went back to leveling my own account. (Some people think my account (Atlantis) was sold, bought, traded, shared, or some other crap, but it was always mine and never will be traded.) By the time that I got back up the same levels as the account that I had bought earlier (and then passed them in every skill), I knew a lot more about the game and was more skilled player.

Also, about the abbreviation. Its possible they don't understand the abbreviation at that level, they might not have used it a whole lot. They should know what it is, though.

Since this matter arose from the point of view of a sold account and the subsequent ban of the seller because he took ingame items as a form of payment etc etc, may I enquire as to the rights of a buyer of an account? If, for example, I were to purchase someone else's character and storage items, but had no actual need for the character, and instead wished to keep the items on my original account, would that not also be in breach of the Rules? Would I therefore be restricted into keeping those storage items purely on the account I had just purchased? Or would moving them at the time of the purchase to my main account be considered a Breach of the Rules since that account is the one solely benefiting? (broken down further, if the bought account had nothing in storage except for 6 EFE, and I paid 15$ - 10 of which covers the storage items, and 5$ for the character, is it not akin to buying from EL shop since all ingame items are the sole legal property of EL anyway? Regardless of whether I am wasting the $5 investment into the character buying by no longer using it??)

Sorry if this seems an odd tangent to approach this from but I am a pendantic sod at times for details, and just wanna be certain I am fully aware of how the Rules are meant to apply to sales of accounts for BOTH parties. Am pretty much guessing with it being also illegal to transfer the storage though...

This argument is weak because you could simply have traded just fot his items. If he insists on selling the char with the items, you can then point out that it would amount to inter-alt trading for you to transfer the items after buying the char.

Not really, some ppl play el not to lvl or mass-click but to pwn others, to show them how great they r, bought character helps them coz they can skip that boring grinding and focus on pk,

mp

Not really showing anyone how great they are IMO, more like showing how great someone elses char is :medieval:

Personally I dont think char selling/buying cheats the game in anyway, to me its more cheating yourself ( at least for every person I pk, I know I trained my char from IP rabbits up) but each to there own

I agree. When I said I consider it a kind of cheating, I meant in my personal opinion only and as more of a philosophical idea of what "playing the game" means.

On the practical side, though, I do agree with the OP that the WAY character buying/selling is done can be a violation of the official rules of EL. THAT part is what we're talking about here, I think, not about stopping trade in characters in general.

I can see one reason to allow this that perhaps hasn't been addressed. Bots...

Perhaps a person can no longer afford to run their bot, or just doesn't want to (or someone would like to buy the character to turn it into a bot.) I wouldn't see this as illegal, or detrimental to the game (just my opinion...) I also could see that person then auctioning off the bot's inventory to buy the bot some negative perks, perhaps (all the coins/inventory coming and going from the bot only...)

Edited by DogBreath

I can see one reason to allow this that perhaps hasn't been addressed. Bots...

Perhaps a person can no longer afford to run their bot, or just doesn't want to (or someone would like to buy the character to turn it into a bot.) I wouldn't see this as illegal, or detrimental to the game (just my opinion...) I also could see that person then auctioning off the bot's inventory to buy the bot some negative perks, perhaps (all the coins/inventory coming and going from the bot only...)

Bots really are a different kettle of fish and are handled on a case by case basis. They are not "played" as such, and even if the new owner auctions anything off, as long as the proceeds stay on the bot it doesn't even apply here. Bot transactions ultimately are required to go through Entropy anyway, for fee payments and registrations, and the like, so can and will be monitored differently.

Since this matter arose from the point of view of a sold account and the subsequent ban of the seller because he took ingame items as a form of payment etc etc, may I enquire as to the rights of a buyer of an account? If, for example, I were to purchase someone else's character and storage items, but had no actual need for the character, and instead wished to keep the items on my original account, would that not also be in breach of the Rules? Would I therefore be restricted into keeping those storage items purely on the account I had just purchased? Or would moving them at the time of the purchase to my main account be considered a Breach of the Rules since that account is the one solely benefiting? (broken down further, if the bought account had nothing in storage except for 6 EFE, and I paid 15$ - 10 of which covers the storage items, and 5$ for the character, is it not akin to buying from EL shop since all ingame items are the sole legal property of EL anyway? Regardless of whether I am wasting the $5 investment into the character buying by no longer using it??)

Sorry if this seems an odd tangent to approach this from but I am a pendantic sod at times for details, and just wanna be certain I am fully aware of how the Rules are meant to apply to sales of accounts for BOTH parties. Am pretty much guessing with it being also illegal to transfer the storage though...

This argument is weak because you could simply have traded just fot his items. If he insists on selling the char with the items, you can then point out that it would amount to inter-alt trading for you to transfer the items after buying the char.

which is why:-

Am pretty much guessing with it being also illegal to transfer the storage though...

figured that would be the case, just needed to have it confirmed so I dont mis-advise anyone ingame.

Bots really are a different kettle of fish and are handled on a case by case basis. They are not "played" as such, and even if the new owner auctions anything off, as long as the proceeds stay on the bot it doesn't even apply here. Bot transactions ultimately are required to go through Entropy anyway, for fee payments and registrations, and the like, so can and will be monitored differently.

Ah now theres a thing...if proceeds from a bots items being sold off are to remain on a bot..hum..isnt that making buying the bot redundant as a tradebot then, since the new owner would not be allowed to ever remove anything from it that may be consituted as profit? Plus..as a tradebot, doesnt that mean by necessity (not just newly acquired ones, but also ones that dont change ownership) that a person who removes profit made on tradebots is in fact in breach of the rules since s/he is in fact taking a beneficial profit they havent actually done anything to earn, in some cases, since many bots can now do stand-alone trading to raise GC without the need to be restocked on main sales(obviously some examples are mixed on this point, but the overall arguement exists nevertheless). Or is it THIS point that makes it a different kettle of fish?

and can someone PLEASE stop me posting now before I argue my way into getting a lot of people banned....

Ah now theres a thing...if proceeds from a bots items being sold off are to remain on a bot..hum..isnt that making buying the bot redundant as a tradebot then, since the new owner would not be allowed to ever remove anything from it that may be consituted as profit?

Umm it's a tradebot, it's purpose is to be a shop of sorts for it's owner. How else are they going to stock it and monitor it?

Plus..as a tradebot, doesnt that mean by necessity (not just newly acquired ones, but also ones that dont change ownership) that a person who removes profit made on tradebots is in fact in breach of the rules since s/he is in fact taking a beneficial profit they havent actually done anything to earn, in some cases, since many bots can now do stand-alone trading to raise GC without the need to be restocked on main sales(obviously some examples are mixed on this point, but the overall arguement exists nevertheless). Or is it THIS point that makes it a different kettle of fish?
Yes this is why it's a different kettle of fish. Obviously they have to be stocked and somebody has to manage it's inventory. People pay a lot of money for the right to run this "shop" setup, that is it's whole point in being. You might notice in the bots section there is a ruleset for bots, which to the best of our ability controls abuse of the bots. And as always, a bot can never be used as a middleman for alts. If that is ever found, you can count on being banned. Also bots are approved for specific purposes, some do more than others, but any situation like that is on a case by case basis.

I think that character buying/selling in el will be present but not many ppl will do it, beacuse of a couple of facts...

#1. First of all levels are hard to get

#2. There is no powerleveling in EL and thats a good and a bad thing (for the lazy people)

#3. There are no "getting rich fast schemes"

#4. Usually people that buy characters are lazy people, and we all know (at least almost everyone) that EL is really harsh to that kind of players...

I'm sure that i can find more reasons why people would not buy/sell characters :P but i'm in a hurry at the moment.

Sincerely,

Zoki

I think that character buying/selling in el will be present but not many ppl will do it, beacuse of a couple of facts...

#1. First of all levels are hard to get

#2. There is no powerleveling in EL and thats a good and a bad thing (for the lazy people)

#3. There are no "getting rich fast schemes"

#4. Usually people that buy characters are lazy people, and we all know (at least almost everyone) that EL is really harsh to that kind of players...

#1) true

#2) wrong

#3) wrong

#4) look at luciferx