Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suncie

I have had enough

I get stuck, so sorry, I cannot afford at this stage to get a new video card, and I am so sorry for not carrying a ring, not that I could have clicked on it, but what the hell, Grhae or Grae or what ever is the ruler, so difficult to help one? omw, perhaps I should start as newbie and get to know the moderators first

http://game.eternal-lands.com/view_user.php?user=suncie

Doesn't appear that you are a newbie.

And you were warned prior, that taking Scotty Died Perk is not free ticket to have mods teleport you every time you got stuck.

And lastly, your graphics card doesn't get you stuck. There is no code that tests for flaky cards and then sends you into a mountain.

Edited by Ghrae

So long as the game has that "beta" tag beside it's name, and so long as a way to get yourself out of map bugs is provided (#beam me), anyone arguing it's the moderators job to get people out of map bugs has no leg to stand on.

If you chose to remove the provided way out of map bugs, and have had the full consequences of your actions explained to you (which according to Ghrae, you had), then you have no right or reason to complain if you get stuck and dont have a tele ring.

Now, i notice that my suggestion from quite a while ago still has yet to be acted on, neither in the encyclopedia nor the description at the Wraith... I am still bewildered that the game admins and devels would not take extremely easy steps to try and prevent as many of these kind of posts as is possible.

The effect of my suggestion is not relevant to this particular case, but i still felt this was an appropriate place to press the suggestion again to prevent similar problems.

I am not even sure this is a bug, it can happen IRL too to get stuck in places (if there was such a thing as teleport nexuses IRL). For example, you could get trapped inside the water boiler, or sewer system, etc.

As for the graphic card comment, what in the fuck's name does it have to do with the topic at hand???

So long as the game has that "beta" tag beside it's name, and so long as a way to get yourself out of map bugs is provided (#beam me), anyone arguing it's the moderators job to get people out of map bugs has no leg to stand on.

Those map bugs shouldn't even be there, in my opinion, given that two tools to both automatically detect and remove them were written prior to the release of 1.5.0. Of course, taking Scotty Died with the plethora of complaints since its introduction of becoming stuck without assistance doesn't seem like anything I would do either. :D

Those map bugs shouldn't even be there, in my opinion, given that two tools to both automatically detect and remove them were written prior to the release of 1.5.0. Of course, taking Scotty Died with the plethora of complaints since its introduction of becoming stuck without assistance doesn't seem like anything I would do either. :D

It wouldn't be a negative perk if there weren't draw backs to taking it ... this is one of the several drawbacks. If I was designing maps, I'd be putting in places you could get stuck in on purpose!

Those map bugs shouldn't even be there, in my opinion, given that two tools to both automatically detect and remove them were written prior to the release of 1.5.0.

Really? All I know about is the clusters thing, however that needs manual checking of every single map as there may very well be a valid walkable spot. A daunting task no matter how you look at it.

Those map bugs shouldn't even be there, in my opinion, given that two tools to both automatically detect and remove them were written prior to the release of 1.5.0.

Really? All I know about is the clusters thing, however that needs manual checking of every single map as there may very well be a valid walkable spot. A daunting task no matter how you look at it.

In the same thread I wrote a script in ruby which auto-corrected the height maps by building clusters and scanning for reachability using every .def file it can locate. Not as fast as the clusters thing (unfortunately, because there's no fast way when you have to check if tiles are too high or not), but it only requires user interaction to determine whether large patches of unconnected, unreachable tiles were intentional or not. Last time I ran it (even without any .def files for reachability), it would only prompt two or three times for a large map. Unfortunately, its performance if it hits nomap.elm will be horrible because of the massive map size, and inability to use a scanlines implementation.

It wouldn't be a negative perk if there weren't draw backs to taking it ... this is one of the several drawbacks. If I was designing maps, I'd be putting in places you could get stuck in on purpose!

I wouldn't have either the perk, or #beam me for long established maps at this stage in development, but that's only my view of it. I'm not the guy who had the drive to build a MMOG, just the one who likes writing tools.

Nut there are also places where this is done on purpose as well. The maps will always have places where you need to tport into & out of. It is part of the flavor of the game. Removal of all the places you could get 'stuck' will not be done.

The Scotty Perk was added instead of remocing #beam me ... anyone taking Scotty Died must be prepared to deal with the consequences!