Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snorebum

Idea for getting more votes at mpogd

I'm aware that you (the EL creators and admins) are encouraging people to vote on mpogd every day, as eveidenced by the in game reminders that come up while we are playing. I came up with an idea that I think might help you out. (I voted today, btw)

You should write an applet that can navigate to the site : http://www.mpogd.com/gotm/vote.asp and automate the task of voting for EL (the EL player just launches the applet, and it does all of the work), then the applet connects to the EL server and gives the player/voter some credit to their EL inventory, maybe 2K gold.

This way the voters get a direct reward for voting... I realize many are of the opinion that people just SHOULD vote, and not get any reward... or that the reward should be just a random drawing, but a direct reward would probably be more effective.... it as simple economics and psychology. I'd bet an applet like this would get EL into the top 10, and I would not be surprised to learn that some of the other top 10 games are already doing this...

The voting sight has a browser interface, I don't see any rules that govern what method people use to interact with he browser interface. It would still be registered individuals that vote, they would simply be using an applet to interfact with the site (read and write HTTP requests), so that the applet could also give them a reward to that voter on the EL server.

The only part that might be considered cheating is rewarding voters... I don't know the rule there. If there isn't an explicit rule against it, they can't really claim it is cheating.

To me, I think it's annoying when people won't stop telling people to vote. I understand that there may be people who don't know about mpogd, but it feels like they're forcing people to vote, which is the only reason why i don't vote.

So, does that mean you like this idea? ...or don't like it?

The idea simply trys to encourage people to vote by giving them a tangible reward. Are you agsint that? ...as long as people aren't bugging you in the game to do it?

I think Learner is right, and it can be considered cheating.

ShadowKnight, the newbie helpers will lose their broacast privileges, don't worry about it.