Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest baneazaghal

Running two clients

Guest baneazaghal

Hello. I'd like to do some fiddling with the tab-map source code, and I'd like to run two clients at the same time (one on the main server, one on the test server - that's the client which will be used for testing purposes), and I'd like to separate the data they're using (in other words, each client should use its own "~/.elc" directory). Is it possible?

Depends on what you want. If it's just that you want to read dat from different locations, you can simply start the client with a different path and port from the command line (I'm assuming from your use of ~ that you're using a Unix-like system):

./el.x86.linux.bin -dir /path/to/data -sp 2001

If you want to separate chat logs etc: I don;t think that's possible, unless you use two separate user accounts on your machine.

Possible? Yes, but not as easy as you'd like. AFAIK, ELC itself provides no way to do this, so you'll have to work with your system to do it. This requires root.

Make a new user account (or you can use a second existing one). You'll use this for your second set of configfiles. Feel free to copy over as much as you want.

Allow X forwarding, switch to the new account, set up the display, and launch ELC:

sudo xhost +local:username
su - username
export DISPLAY=:0
/path/to/elc

Reference: http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Se...for_development

ed: Unless you simply want to change stuff in el.ini, in which case a shell script or alias to set command line options should be sufficient :)

Edited by ttlanhil

Hello. I'd like to do some fiddling with the tab-map source code, and I'd like to run two clients at the same time (one on the main server, one on the test server - that's the client which will be used for testing purposes), and I'd like to separate the data they're using (in other words, each client should use its own "~/.elc" directory). Is it possible?

can you not create a new account (unless you have a spare?) and just launch the second client from a terminal after you have su'd into the spare account? If I understand right, then the logs etc will be saved to the home directory of the spare user :)

In a bash shell:

HOME=~/fred /path/to/elc

Where '~/fred' is a fake home directory for character 'fred', and contains its own '.elc' directory.

Edited by trollson

In a bash shell:

HOME=~/fred elc

Where '~/fred' is a fake home directory for character 'fred', and contains its own '.elc' directory.

*grin*

Yup, that'd work.

Guest baneazaghal

Ah, I feel so dumb now :)

Trollson's solution is the painless one :)

That's because you're on Windows, and ELC doesn't get use your home folder to save stuff (it will in the future. And since Vista is finally learing some security from *nix, this may not be just something nice to have, it may be required).

Actually it is good idea to run suspicious games like elc under chroot or

with uid of fake user, that have read/write permissions only to game related files and directories.

You never know if it can 'rm -Rf' you home directory or send you private files over the network,

unless you've explored code enough to be sure it is safe :D