Eternal Lands Official Forums
Zoya

Laptop freeze when i open EL after update

Oke the problem is, i can open EL, i can play it but after 5-10min my whole laptop screen becomes black and i cant do a shit, sometimes it restarts from itself, sometimes i have to press off button and start it again..

When i start laptop again, after the black screen, and try EL again, it opens, i typ name, pass i can see EL and then poof, freez relog.. first it was 3times this and then EL is oke again.. but now it only opens EL and i see my char sitting and then freeze.

I already turned eye candy off.. poor man on.. nothing works

I just upgraded my grapic drivers.. and i dont get errors when i open and load el

graphiccardcf4.jpg

I hope someone can help me, ty

Greetz, Zoya

Edited by Zoya

this sounds very much like something is getting overstressed or overheated. try limiting the FPS, enough that CPU usage drops a lot, and see if the problem still exists

Well it also happends when i just start my laptop.. and indeed the FPS is alot higher then before update.. can u maby explain how to limiting the FPS?

Edited by Zoya

It could be an overheating problem. My laptop was spontaneously powering down after playing EL for awhile. After vacuuming out some dust it seemed to get better for awhile but I suspect the fan still wasn't working well.. A couple days ago it wouldn't run either windows or xwindows anymore so I'l be shopping for a new comp.

I'd suggest backing up anything important from your laptop in case it dies like mine did.

hmm oke.. well i just bought this laptop.. 6months old... but i will save my stuff then in case it dies

you can edit el.ini or set it ingame. for ingame, you can set it in the options window, but it's just as easy to type in:

%limit_fps 25

this assumes you normally get, say, 40 or higher. if you get less than that, set the cap to a lower number.

even if you normally get hundreds, 25-30 would be sufficient, most people won't be able to tell the difference between 35 and 135

Well my normal FPS is 10-15 (never resync or so).. now its 30 (resync alot) and i cant change it in game, cause EL freeze when i log it in..

And i cant find el.ini in EL map.. can u maby explain were to find it and how to change? ty :)

And about the freeze..it only happends when i start EL.. i play other game too and it never happends there

Edited by Zoya

Windows: C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\el.ini ("el" if you don't have extensions turned on)

OSX: Right-click EL.app, "Show package contents", el.ini

Linux/BSD: ~/.elc/el.ini

Oke, well someone helped me to lower the FPS

I logged in and freezes..logged back automaticly and freezes whole laptop.

Other games i can play. my laptop only does this with EL..

Can someone please help me with this?

Do you know how to update the drivers for your graphics card?

If yes, please do it and try again to play EL.

If no, *DONT* try it but ask someone who knows to do that for you :)

Piper

Do you know how to update the drivers for your graphics card?

If yes, please do it and try again to play EL.

If no, *DONT* try it but ask someone who knows to do that for you :)

Piper

Hmm as you could see in some posts up, i already updated them a few days back.. and diddnt helped :(

Well, then im out of ideas right now.

Plz post the graphic card youre using, maybe that rings a bell for someone else :D

Piper

Well ty for the help Piper

Ati Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 (Omega 3.8.330) Hope it rings a bell here :P

Ty for the help, but this is also not working :)

And i really dont know what else I can try....

Considering you've done everything people have suggested, i'd be inclined to think it's an overheating issue. You may want to try other games and/or get your laptop looked at by someone who knows hardware (i'd suggesting going to a private PC repair shop).

Well, like i said, other games i dont have problems with.. (Laptop is not getting hot)

But this weekend i put new windows on my laptop and hoping that it will work.

I wanted to check my card details, but I am at work and cannot. However, my desktop at home has the exact same problem and I have narrowed it down to an overheating/overstressed problem. I was able to play EL for the longest time and gradually the problem has gotten worse to where I freeze just like you do once I logon. I tried reinstalling everything with no luck and then decided to try another graphical game (Company of Heroes). Sure enough, the card froze once again. I added another fan and did a thourough cleaning and I am now able to play both games for about 15 mins before the freeze occurs. I suspect the damage to my card is already done since I cannot cool it anymore without going to a liquid. Just an excuse for me to build a new desktop!

I don't think you mentioned if this ever did work or if you just start experiencing problems since the EL update with enhanced graphics? Unfortunately laptops are not meant for gaming and you may find many newer games will freeze when trying to run them. I think you also mentioned that this has happened when just starting Windows which is a sign of bigger problems, imo. Hopefully you still have warranty, but it may just be time to move to a desktop and experience gaming the way it was intended. Good luck.

Like i said: I played bigger games then EL, nothing wrong, I can even let them on whole day and then still no overheating..

No this doesnt happen when i just start windows.. its just when i start EL I see my char and then 2sec after that my laptop freeze.

I go try new windows, if that doesnt work I go empty my laptop and bring it back to the store.. 6months old so i still have guarantee.

Or if someone knows a other option, let me know here or in pm pls. thnxx

Anyway thanks for all the help :)

I only hope that I can play again after this all.

Edit: Typo's :D

Edited by Zoya

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.