Eternal Lands Official Forums
Lumino

Port Issues...

Ok, so over at the household we have a port manager set up only to allow ports we input. I am mainly not in control of it, my other family members seem to like to manipulate it (particularly the most experienced with computers). EL runs on port 2000, which is of course not registered, and so the others don't want to unblock it for fear of malicious programs using it. Is there any way to run EL on another port, perhaps a registered one (I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that because someone else had registered it, but I don't really know). I hope I can start playing EL again soon!

Lum

Ok, so over at the household we have a port manager set up only to allow ports we input. I am mainly not in control of it, my other family members seem to like to manipulate it (particularly the most experienced with computers). EL runs on port 2000, which is of course not registered, and so the others don't want to unblock it for fear of malicious programs using it. Is there any way to run EL on another port, perhaps a registered one (I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that because someone else had registered it, but I don't really know). I hope I can start playing EL again soon!

Lum

going into tools in the EL game, you can adjust which port in there. will check back which tab it is located in.

Your firewall or router will just need to allow el.exe access to the internet on each of the computers.

Knowing what you mean by "port manager" would help us a lot as there are different solutions depending on the software or router model used.

You don't need to open a port at all, starting the game will usually trigger a "allow el.exe to access the internet [yes] [no] [once only] [always]" type question - select always and you're done.

offtopic: Why people hide behind firewalls in this day and age escapes me, I don't have one and for some reason I don't get trojans, viruses, adware, spyware or anything else.. mainly because the reason they get there is someone on the inside of the firewall did something silly. My opinion does not mean you should stop using a firewall, just realise that it is not a solution to a problem, merely a comfort.

Firewalls are there to serve a purpose. So if it is set to now allow traffic in port 2000 (to EL), it will indeed not allow you to play EL, because that's what it's designed to do :D

So you need to talk to your 'admin?' of the firewall and ask them to unblock port 2000 if you want to play.

Firewalls are there to serve a purpose. So if it is set to now allow traffic in port 2000 (to EL), it will indeed not allow you to play EL, because that's what it's designed to do :D

So you need to talk to your 'admin?' of the firewall and ask them to unblock port 2000 if you want to play.

You can configure firewalls to block port 2000 but allow the EL client to use port 2000. This way you trust the EL client but block any malware which is using port 2000 too.

Piper

Yeah, I kind of already knew what most of you have said, I was mainly just wondering if EL could run on another port. Nevermind! I will talk to my "admin" :w00t: And hopefully I'll get it all running soon. Thanks all :)

Lum

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.