Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Earl

Crash on startup

I'm currently suffering with a crash on startup problem. That is after logging in the crash occurs before displaying 3D graphics. The message I get is,~ EL client has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Because I'm moving house soon I've switched from the big computer to a laptop, the video card (graphics card?) is a SiS 650, I downloaded a driver update to 3.73 which I believe is the latest. Could it be some other driver I should update?

Error log returns.

[22:43:07] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates132/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[22:43:07] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

(Other lines saying can't find quest log, counters and spell list. Pretty sure that's normal.)

I tried creating a blank commands.lst from advice on a similar thread but it didn't help.

I've had no problem using the map editor on this machine.

It's been a while since I tried EL on here, it worked... when was it? I think it was when IP had snow, whichever version that was.

How long has the "Help Me" forum been gone?

This may be an issue with OpenGl support, which is required for EL.

SiS are notoriously lacking in OpenGL support in their drivers.

Google in SiS and OpenGL; one solution that crops up is "GLDirect" which apparently implements an OpenGL layer on DirectX 8.x. There is a downloadable trial version which you could try:

http://www.scitechsoft.com/

I have no idea whether GLDirect provides the level of OpenGL support. It would be interesting to find out.

* GLDirect is based on Mesa 6, which implements OpenGL 1.5, which should be ok for EL (req. 1.2+).

Edited by trollson

Hi, I'm getting the crash on startup issue, that is after logging in but before the 3D graphics are displayed.

I'm playing on a slightly older computer due to me moving house soon.

Log started at 2006-11-08 11:10:18 localtime (GMT Standard Time)

[11:10:22] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[11:10:22] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates132/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[11:10:22] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

[11:10:36] Error: Can't open file "./particles/moon_bubbles1.part"

Last message repeated 3 times

[11:10:36] Error: Can't open file "counters_earl.dat"

Counters and Quest log must be normal after a new install.

My Video card, (Graphics card?) Is a SiS 650, and I believe I installed the latest drivers yesterday.

Map editor is working perfectly.

Any suggestions?

In general;

We really do need a bit more information in order to help you. There is a Troubleshooting guide pinned in this forum. You need to read that, especially post #2.

When it comes to the SiS cards (IGP), it is a fact (by user testimonials) that they do work poorly with EL. So I am not sure you will be lucky there.

Try this;

Open the ELConfig.exe file in your Eternal Lands directory/folder, and uncheck the boxes in the right side under Video, SIS cards will not run the game with them checked.

For graphics drivers (assuming you are running WinXP, which we do not know) did you also try the SiSUniVGA2 drivers?

if it actually is straight after login, before anything else is shown, it could be the same issue as dealt with in my workaround client (see siggy)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this