Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ghrae

Restoration Spell - Unable to add to quick spell bar

Normally when casting a spell, you see the spell icon in the spell window. Clicking on that icon brings that spell to the spell quick bar on the side of your screen.

Which is what I did with Restoration. The spell worked, but no spell icon for me to add to my spell quick bar.

Talking with Marc, we found that the spell icon only appears if you cast the spell while hurt (that is, it actually restores health). Casting the spell while at full health does not create the spell icon.

Normally when casting a spell, you see the spell icon in the spell window. Clicking on that icon brings that spell to the spell quick bar on the side of your screen.

Which is what I did with Restoration. The spell worked, but no spell icon for me to add to my spell quick bar.

Talking with Marc, we found that the spell icon only appears if you cast the spell while hurt (that is, it actually restores health). Casting the spell while at full health does not create the spell icon.

Do you lose the reagents?

Yes. Casting the spell from the Ctrl-S / Spell Window works normal. The only problem is that if I'm at full health, I do not get the spell icon (ability to add it to my quick spell bar).

There is some logic to that. Of course, even at full health we get the magic xp for casting the spell and still lose the essences. Guess it depends on how the system defines "succesful cast".

Indeed, this implies two levels of a "successful cast", one with health being restored and one without. The player however sees no difference between the two.

It's not very intuitive to demand actual [edit]health (not "xp"..)[/edit] being restored in order to get the icon; when players are casting the spell to put it on the quickbar, they are very likely to cast it when they're at full health.

Edited by Mar(c)

Indeed, this implies two levels of a "successful cast", one with health being restored and one without. The player however sees no difference between the two.

It's not very intuitive to demand actual xp health being restored in order to get the icon; when players are casting the spell to put it on the quickbar, they are very likely to cast it when they're at full health.

But the spell came before the quickbar, it was created and intended for the purpose of restoring health, not for the purpose of adding an icon to the quickbar quickly :)

So it makes sense that the server considers a successful cast as restoring health.

I must say, I can't disagree with anything you say here Aislinn, but it doesn't add much imho.

Or must I say: that's exactly the point? ;)

The issue being addressed here is that an apparent successful cast doesn't give the possibility to add the spell to the quickbar.

I hope it's just a minor fix, because it's something people can waste lots of time and essences on (deleting the spells file etc.) and not that untuitive to figure out. (It's really a you-have-to-know-why-it-doesn't-work issue).

(Btw, isn't the quickbar totally client-side?)

I must say, I can't disagree with anything you say here Aislinn, but it doesn't add much imho.

Or must I say: that's exactly the point? ;)

I was just explaining why there are 2 different definitions of "successful cast" here.

I wouldn't call it a bug in the spell casting, though, spell casting works as it should for the purpose it should. Maybe a bug in the quickbar coding for not realizing what is considered "successful".

Maybe a bug in the quickbar coding for not realizing what is considered "successful".
Exactly ;)

[edit]'ed on request

:(

Edited by Mar(c)