Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eagleprince

Intel 915 graphics

Hello there,

I would like to play on my laptop, and I was wondering if anyone has managed to get decent FPS using an Intel 915 based graphics chip under Linux?

I usually get 4-7 FPS which is quite unplayable. :P

My computer is a Dell Latitude 120L laptop with 768 MB RAM.

EP

I've a laptop with Intel 915 and EL works fine (except a few spots on some maps where the fps drops really low, but disabling shadows and reflections make it acceptable even there).

Are you using the downloaded client for linux or you compiled it yourself? When I tried to compile and run it my fps was always 1-4, but with the downloadable one I stay in the range 20-40.

Try also to see what you get with

glxinfo | grep render

One problem with most Intel graphics is they do most of the OpenGL in the driver under software instead of in hardware, so your CPU speed and the amount of eye candy makes a big difference in performance.

One problem with most Intel graphics is they do most of the OpenGL in the driver under software instead of in hardware, so your CPU speed and the amount of eye candy makes a big difference in performance.

I think I have a problem with OpenGL. My start-up screen looks like this Also, glxinfo says command not found, even as root. I don't think it's a path issue, since there is reference to some GL stuff being found on the start screen.

My system is a Standard Zenwalk 3.0 system, except that I recompiled the kernel and upgraded it to 2.6.17.11. Also, I had to use the static binary as the other one won't work....too many errors. I don't quite know enough about CVS yet, so I can't try that just yet...but soon :P. In any case, I'm sure the problem is not the EL client, as it works fine on my Linux desktop system.

I have done a clean install and upgraded to kernel 2.7.18 while I was at it.

glxinfo now says DRI yes, and glxgears shows ~950 FPS. Not sure if that if high enough...

In any case, it made no difference whatsoever to my EL FPS...which is now like 5 FPS +-2

Maybe the 1.6 GHz Celeron CPU on my lappy is not adequate for EL?

I have done a clean install and upgraded to kernel 2.7.18 while I was at it.

glxinfo now says DRI yes, and glxgears shows ~950 FPS. Not sure if that if high enough...

In any case, it made no difference whatsoever to my EL FPS...which is now like 5 FPS +-2

Maybe the 1.6 GHz Celeron CPU on my lappy is not adequate for EL?

Open your BIOS settings, if possible, and look for video card buffer aperture, or however it is called. I bet there will be something like 8M, increase it to whatever maximum possible (32M or 64M). This will increase speed significantly.

Also, tweak game settings: turn off shadows and other complex options, because i915 is uncapable of shading vertexes in hardware etc. Turn off precompiled vertex arrays since this card is uncapable of.

If the above doesnt help, use poor man mode.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this