Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Portuguese translation

I know it doesn't help much, but after getting annoyed at their setup I ended up giving up on it and using the web interface for getting and changing files

I had some similiar problems a while back. Unfortunately, I have no idea how they got resolved.

Hmm ok.. I translated Attributes.xml and Harvesting.xml to portuguese :P

ADD --> Translated Books.xml too.

2nd ADD --> Translated Magic.xml

3rd ADD --> Translated Perks.xml

4th ADD --> Translated both Jewelry.xml files and Gods.xml

5th ADD --> Translated Maps.xml

Edited by Ruibinha

I would like to help with the Portuguese translation.

I know this thread was pretty much dead, but is anyone still working on this?

If no one answers this I think the best would be to start a new thread...

Bruno

P.S: I'm portuguese and I have some computer skills ;)

I would like to help with the Portuguese translation.

I know this thread was pretty much dead, but is anyone still working on this?

If no one answers this I think the best would be to start a new thread...

Bruno

P.S: I'm portuguese and I have some computer skills ;)

well, when we tried to translate the encyclopedia there was a problem. It is always updating things, errors, etc, that made it hard for us to complete one translation without having to check the next update and then translate again, and again.

When we tried to translate online, freepository (the "program" that makes us capable to update, translate online), there was an error, and we couldnt make it work, if i remember correctly was a problem of them, and not ours. We add free pass to work on the program, but the program still didnt worked. After that, we tried to download the files, and translate by there... but i think you can imagine the hard work it was, so we, kinda, give up.

Ruibinha

Well I can't answer your problems about freepository, unfortunately I don't know much about it at all.

However the problem with the encyclopedia updating all the time is a problem for all languages. We're lucky that we have someone to take care of the English bugs :devlish:

Even now the other languages are out of date and give incorrect information.

Maybe we can back to old way, someone controlling all the files that is being translated and gather all of them. Then this person pass this file to the encyclopedia team.

Btw, Do you still have all those files you translated Ruiba?

Maybe we can back to old way, someone controlling all the files that is being translated and gather all of them. Then this person pass this file to the encyclopedia team.

The old way was why nothing ever got translated - you couldn't check, say, the english repository for updates, instead you had to read announcements, ask about changes, and test combinations yourself in-game. Every update had to be re-created by every team. On top of that, you'd generally have even more duplicated effort if any two people worked on the same language at the same time.

At first, freepository was a decent solution (though the custom cvs client was a useless complexity), but since they closed client cvs access, they've become sub-par (and possibly now hinder development). A decent svn or cvs repository hosted somewhere would do the trick (no more weird compatibility problems, less downtime, easier to track development, etc.), but I am unfortunately unwilling to buy dedicated hosting which I won't get any use out of. Sorry. :(

Unfortunately, I can sympathize with the problems keeping up to date with development - I know what it was like adding missed updates and new information to the English encyclopedia way back when it was only me, and can only imagine what it must be like translating at the same time.

EDIT: Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there any chance being able to translate templates for each section, plus item/animal names/descriptions seperately be of any use? I can probably template 75% of the page formats in ERB this weekend if anyone thinks that would help. Idea just jumped into my head, since this would _finally_ let me release the book templates too...

Edited by crusadingknight

What do you mean by templates exactly? and book templates?

Just basically an outline, which most pages of a section follow, just filling in different information, ie. for a page on magic we have something like the following:

<page name="Heal">

<size>Small</size><color>yellow</color>

<link x="2" y="2" ref="Magic" title="Back"/>

<link x="437" y="2" ref="Index" title="Index"/>

<size>Big</size><color r="0" g="1" b="0"/>

<text x="74" y="2">The Eternal Lands Encyclopedia</text>

<nl/><text> MAGIC</text><nl/>

<Color>red</Color>

<text> Heal</text><nl/><nl/>

<simage isize="256" tsize="32" size="100" tid="3" name="textures/sigils.bmp" yposupdate="0" xposupdate="1"/>

<Size>Medium</Size><color r="1" g="0.5" b="0"/>

<text> Restores 10 HP</text>

<nl/><nl/><nl/>

<simage isize="256" tsize="32" size="100" tid="23" name="textures/sigils.bmp" yposupdate="0" xposupdate="1"/>

<Size>Medium</Size><color r="0.9" g="0.9" b="0.9"/>

<text> Sigils: Increase, Health</text>

<nlkx/>

<text> Reagents: 1 Health Essence</text><nlkx/>

<text> Required Magic lev: 0</text><nlkx/>

<text> Magic exp. given: 5</text><nlkx/>

<text> Required Ethereal points: 5</text>

<nl/><nl/><nl/><nl/>

<color>yellow</color>

<text> </text><link ref="Magic" title="Back To Magic Index"/>

</page>

The point being, the majority of that page is duplicated on every page in the section. If we simply specify the layout once (Reagents: ..., Magic exp: ...), we then only need to worry about translating specific data for each page, ie. the name, description, and sigil names, instead of the entire page. The rest of the page could be translated once, with the data automatically filled in from data files. In my opinion, it beats seach-and-replace and copy-and-paste.

Another advantage of templates is that you could pull most of the data which doesn't need translation from a universal source (mainly numbers, like exp, ethereal points, etc.) instead of forcing the translators to worry about them too. That way, only name changes and description changes would really force translators to have to track updates.

This wouldn't require any client programming or anything, since we'd just be generating the files we have now (which could still be edited by hand) from some easier-to-edit data files. Of course, given it would use the same format anyway, it's not as if there would be any harm if nobody wanted to use it. :(

EDIT: Missed the book templates thing. That was a template system I designed a while back, but found to be too hacked-together to release (mainly because I designed it for books, and tried to make it work for everything afterwards.)

Edited by crusadingknight

i needed to format my pc.. so i lost my all files.

but it wouldnt matter that much, encyclopedia was lots updated after i translated that files.

Would be harder to see what was missing in the old files than translating again :\

Vorma, to do that on the old fashion way we would need to be fast, like 1, 2 weeks to translate all files, if we waste many time a new corrected ency would be on the game, and we needed to find and fix the files we add already translated.

Edited by Ruibinha

the problem about not all the updates of encyclopedia were "informed" to EL community (if i read correctly, my english is getting n00bish and n00bish :lipssealed: lol), werent that be solved by getting a free blog or something saying what was editted, new or deleted? was only copy-past the new things of english ency to that blog, so all ppl working on translation knew what was new on the updatings.

I dont know if it would work better, but at least the infos about what was eddited would be faster to read, and translated than checking the all english files xml.

the edit was to correct some grammatical errors -.- ...

Edited by Ruibinha

I talked to Therydan ingame, and he reported a problem on freepository, which I had experienced some hours before. He is maintaining the encyclopedia's files, until freepository gets normal again.

For a way to make easier our comunication, I created a gmail account: el.enc.pt@gmail.com to store the files (and also its possible to edit from there - i.e. you have nothing to do at the job :lipssealed: - or from another gmail account).

If anyone think this is possible and acceptable, I will put all the files there to translation.

Edited by Vormavius

I talked to Therydan ingame, and he reported a problem on freepository, which I had experienced some hours before. He is maintaining the encyclopedia's files, until freepository gets normal again.

For a way to make easier our comunication, I created a gmail account: el.enc.pt@gmail.com to store the files (and also its possible to edit from there - i.e. you have nothing to do at the job ;) - or from another gmail account).

If anyone think this is possible and acceptable, I will put all the files there to translation.

well.. i think its a good idea, but like i said, we would need to be very fast to translate.

As many ppl help on translation... faster it will be finished...

im working on it,

also ladrilho, krub and vormavius

the harder ones are already being translated... i belive ill finish the skill tonight...

the other files are shorter and with the google spreadsheet control we will be able to make things faster without lose any work.

jsut keep in mind to update the sheet always that you finish or start to work in a diferent file.

Im having problems with ã and õ characters... is the special chars file updated with those 2 characters?

im using the folowing special chars?

ã ã

õ õ

Tnx!

Im having problems with ã and õ characters... is the special chars file updated with those 2 characters?

im using the folowing special chars?

ã ã

õ õ

Tnx!

The codes are correct, but EL can't display ã õ (that's why they have been removed from the special chars file for the translators: plz use only the chars listed in the updated file)

I would be glad to help, I really would, but I just can't deal with computer programmes... I dont understand them at all.

I could help with the actual translation.

And I agree with Lorck when he says some new players give up on playing because they dont understand the encyclopedia. It'd be of great impotance making a portuguese ency.

You can count on me to translate, just add me on MSN. I'll help as long as I don't need to deal with those programmes you're talking about :dry:

Yo, I need some help in working with .xml files... I mean, I open'em, but how can I edit'em?

I could easily translate, you just gotta tell me how.

please, reply A.S.A.P, i rly want to help :)

open them with any text editor, such as notepad... there are a number of xml-editor programs you can get, and they may have some cool features that help, but just a normal text editor will do the trick

I translate everything between <text> and </text>, right?

i have done that already with the Interface section... What do I do next? Do I have to send it to someone?

tks

I translate everything between <text> and </text>, right?

i have done that already with the Interface section... What do I do next? Do I have to send it to someone?

tks

Actually Liduque, we have made an effort to make this translation to next client update, me Vormavius and a few other players had translated it and we already gave to Thenrydan the translated .xml files...

Thendtyrdan is the responsible for the encyc development, i dont know if he need any more help so far but there will be further encycs updates and it will be very helpfull if you can help us in an apropieted time!

ooookay, I see.

if you need any other help, let me kno, i'll be pleasured to help :]

\o/ another one willing to help out with translation, it's great!

But liduque are you portuguese/brasilian? Those languages are not easy to understand, and if you want to help on translation, I could swear you are portuguese/brasilian.

Could be nice if you talk with vormavius, he is the actual leader through translation. Any issue with it you can post here and someone will try to solve!

See ya