Sign in to follow this  
LabRat

PM to me from Skuller

Savyl: interesting name

devilsdaughter: thank u

Savyl: it wasn't a compliment

GuntheR: lol

devilsdaughter: smile.gif

Savyl: i don't mean to be rude, but why have a name like that?

Savyl: surely you expect reactions

devilsdaughter: because its different

Savyl: many names are different

GuntheR: and there is a lack of diffrent names

devilsdaughter: but my nickname is devils

Savyl: your name implies someone who worships satan if you believe such a thing

devilsdaughter: i just like the name, its different, an no one else has a name like it.... doesn't mean i worship the devil

Savyl: no, it doesn't

Savyl: do you worship teh devil?

devilsdaughter: no

devilsdaughter: i wouldn't play a game like this if i did

Savyl: on el, there is a policy against offensive names

Savyl: your name is a bit offensive

GuntheR: its not offensive to most

Savyl: it is offensive to most

Savyl: most just aren't outspoken as me

Nice to know you and your guild and members young sir...My wife did not post on forums abuse, or #abuse it, are you really that petty minded?

My reply:

I have never come across DevilsDaughter, though I do know you. The opinions of one member of a game are not necessarily the views of everyone, but that does not mean that that individual's views are any less important than anybody elses.

I personally take little notice of a player name and the hidden meanings of such names, unless (as I have previously done) I believe that the name is offensive and requires an immediate character lock, in which case I do report the name via the #abuse system. The last name I #abused was f***wit (fill the *** yourself) and I really can't say that the name belongs in any game, never mind this one.

Some names will have personal meanings for players, and may stir up intense feelings, an American player would not even look twice at a player called, for example FredWest yet a player from the UK would no doubt begin systematically screaming for the name to be removed as Fred West is a child killer.

The same effect can be seen by that most reliable system - the IQ test. If you come from Africa and are extremely intelligent your IQ will be low because the IQ system is based on American teaching and knowledge systems. That does not make it any less valid in the US or other Western countries.

Nice to know you and your guild and members young sir...My wife did not post on forums abuse, or #abuse it, are you really that petty minded?
One: young sir - I am not young, and have not been young for at least 20 years.

Two: How can I be petty minded - I was not there to see this event taking place so how can my opinion on the matter be known by you?

Feel free to utilise the #abuse system if you believe a situation warrants it, maybe it will help take your mind off your misplacement issues, but do not accuse me of things I have not had a part in.

I apologise if you have a problem with me bringing this into the open rather than PM, I believe in transparency.

Also, if my wife (who also plays) has a problem with a player she doesn't hide behind me and my reputation, she comes out and resolves the issue herself. Maybe your wife would be able to take criticism (constructive or otherwise) if she wasn't hiding behind you. The truth is, she looked like she was holding her own rather well in the discourse, so why you felt you needed to bring yourself (or me for that matter) into the situation escapes me for the moment.

you can find anything offensive if you try hard enough...i think names with legolas in them are offensive because they are not creative at all but i dont #abuse them :devlish:

Whats in a name...fredwest may be a child killer but someone else with that name may be a priest.

Devilsdaughter may be an angel. Don't judge a book by its cover. get to know the person it is stereo typing thats offends me.

Whats in a name...fredwest may be a child killer but someone else with that name may be a priest.

Devilsdaughter may be an angel. Don't judge a book by its cover. get to know the person it is stereo typing thats offends me.

I'm sure that's what I said :devlish: I take little notice of player names, unless they don't belong here, and I give people respect ingame, and in turn I expect it back. Thankfully, for those that know me I get it by the truckload, but there is always somebody who is too narrow minded to appreciate the contributions I have made both as a player and as a client programmer.

From my point of view this name is ok. I don't see anything very wrong in it. It's like quite many names in quite many books. Just a nick. It does not define the person, it does not mean the person is devil's daughter.

I understand, though, that for quite many people the name choice means something. What's more I had to answer quite many questions about my nick in game and forums (of course, the question was only from people that have read books by M. Lackey).

What I can say here... nothing more. I hope this will be talked out quickly and without harsh words.

Just checked my chat log as the name rang some bells with me..my chat log is getting huge BTW :blink: .

I had a run in with Devilsdaughter in the past and got jumped on by the boyfriend (skuller) over an issue with an orc spawn.

It was not a very friendly exchange of words via PM with a mention that he would like to say what he had to say to me in person, face to face. Veiled threats of physical violence didn't resolve this issue but an open discussion with more than 2 points of view on chan 4 helped.

Dunno where this is going but thought i would mention it anyways......

yah you can find most things offensive...

Well for some people take owned pics for example 3/4 of them are *funny* offensive >< you just gotta move on

gotta take a laugh or let it be for some things

They didn't give all of the chatlog either and I think its interesting because I didn't even file a complaint about the name. I just expressed my opinion because it was shocking to me at first and I told her it was nothing personal and nothing against her. Then Gunther started calling me a bigot, harassing me, etc.. and then proceeded to summon an Artic Chim (of course I didn't realize at the time summoned animals wouldn't attack) at storage, etc.. and it turned into a big mess. For me its over with.

I am just one person and that was just my opinion which isn't so important or special. Its true, one can't judge a book by its cover, etc. I do remember some names being banned because they were religiously offensive.. muslim type of names and other names and just for me as a Christian it was offensive and no I'm not a bigot and I'm also very open to many other beliefs, ideas and philosophies, etc. and do not judge people in that capacity however some names still do shock me, sorry.

Ultimately, a name or word is only a word and is as powerful as the thoughts applied to it. Sorry for my reaction to the name and I think I did explain myself rather well to them but they started harassing me over my opinion which actually makes them hypocritical but of course they aren't telling all of the story and its really not worth dragging all of this up again. Once again, they already knew it wasn't a personal attack yet they attacked me personally for expressing my thoughts and thats fine.. I don't care.

Anyway, to each his/her own. I could care less.. its over for me.. I guess it isn't for them.

Labrat yes I was wrong for posting that to you, but i cannot explain myself properly when upset or angry, (DD is not aware that i posted that log to you ,so if she see's this i am in even bigger trouble)

So as a Public apology to you i take back what I said . my anger outweighed my reasoning

as Stated this is ONLY a game...

Thank you Skuller for your apology.

I appreciate how hard it is to admit when you're in the wrong, but the person the apology belongs to in my view is the person most affected by this, Savyl - and she considered the matter closed weeks ago when it happened.

The best place to sort out player issues sometimes is in the open when the air can be cleared and everybody can return to playing EL.

See you IRL bro

Greg

For the record, Skuller Pm'd me ingame apologizing for him, devilsdaughter and for Gunther's actions and words and I wanted to thank him for that. It took courage and heart and I do appreciate it.