Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheComet

Ranged combat ideas

Before you say "OMG! this is another lame 'I want a bow' thread!" read the rest

For ranged weapons I've been thinking a little about ways they could be implemented.

One way is that it could just act like melee combat and you begin attacking from your position, and for each attack, your marksman skill affects your accuracy (which is different for each ranged weapon) and damage.

a few ideas for weapons:

Short Bow: Lightweight, about 4 damage, acts like the first ranged weapon to train with, fires once every second

Long Bow: a little heavier, deals about 6 damage, but fires at a slower rate than a short bow, fires once every 1.5 seconds, 2 human nexus

Crossbow: Highly accurate and deals about 10 damage, but has a slow firing rate of 3 seconds (before adding in attributes) per shot, 3 human nexus

Hand Cannon: Heavy weapon, does 25 damage, low accuracy, can be fired from a distance (perhaps a scope could be implemented), but once fired, the wait between shots is at least 8 seconds. Ammunition could perhaps be either cannonballs or a metal bar (obviously, higher quality bars add more damage), this weapon would be about level 20 to be fired somewhat accurately, 5 human nexus

Throwable knives: damage and accuracy are based on marksman level, come in different quality materials, one attack every second

one more idea I have would be to have a form of recoil from attacking. while fighting with ranged weapons, your accuracy could increase or decrease by 1 (or 0) per shot, only for that fight. Would seem realistic because after a couple shots you may get the trajectory better and at the same time the continuous movement can throw you off a little.

EDIT:I'll add more ideas as I get them

Edited by TheComet

ok... but the handcannon is a little bit extreme

not quite, I thought out how to make it even with the rest. It's a high level weapon that takes a 4 human nexus, and like I said, if you're marksman level is below 20, good luck scoring a hit. That and it takes awhile to reload and the ammo probably isn't cheap unless you can make it, which metal bars take lvl 20 alch to do iron as is. And it's an innaccurate weapon. On a side note, handcannons were actual midieval weapons, predescessor of the rifle made in the mid 1400's I believe...(it's in a similar time period as EL)

well just to let you know that we will have ranged weapons like these eventually. The programmers are working on it, we might see it them in a few months :)

well just to let you know that we will have ranged weapons like these eventually. The programmers are working on it, we might see it them in a few months

woohoo!!! cant wait

how bout the rate of fire for the bows could increase as you get a better ranging level( if there will be a ranged lvl)

well just to let you know that we will have ranged weapons like these eventually. The programmers are working on it, we might see it them in a few months :P

Whoa! Thats really fast, if we see them then.

omg - archers in PK are - it will be really really interesting then. Tactics will be a must-be, not as it's now.

Edited by vanyel

omg - archers in PK are - it will be really really interesting then. Tactics will be a must-be, not as it's now.

hahah! tactics and/or strategy:the method of my madness! (I have MM, and specialize in summoning, so I don't have to fight a monster directly if I can't take the damage, but while the summons are fighting, I can poison the monster, 'tis my strategy)

There could be a terrain advantage if you get on higher ground than your target, since the arrow would be moving at an increasing rate of speed from the fall vs firing upwards. That and maybe there could be a little bit of ballistics involved if the server can handle the extra scripting and instances. Maybe you could have an option to free-aim your shot so you can fire in the direction something is moving, or if you're a rainbow six addict like myself, use suppression tactics (concentrated fire on an area to disperse or obstruct movement of what is there) to prevent enemies from getting to certain areas by constantly firing at a spot. I could picture a great strategy coming from that, a group of 5 could have 3 archers and 2 swordsmen, the swordsmen could lure an enemy into a canyon style area, and the archers could fire on the 2 exits with the 3rd firing on the closest exit, causing there to be no way out except either fight off the 2 swordsmen or run through a gauntlet of arrows supplied by the archers.

Maybe if there's a way for your character to crouch down and remain still without your name appearing over your head, you could set up ambush sites. The archers could be hiding in foilage on the higher ground, and when the enemy is lured into the trap, the archers could leave the crouched position and begin firing on the exits.