Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
algunar

better(controversial), but still simple, fighting system

well since some may like the idea of skill being involved in fighting and some may not, my idea should be simple enough to please both sides. basically there are 3 buttons to use, weapon(or punch), kick, and defend (i dont know what these buttons could be yet). 1 player presses punch, the other has to defend. there could be a timing system(if possible), so if player 2 doesnt press defend in time, they get hit (or not if theyr very lucky and player 1 misses). if they do, there is a chance that they will still get hit ,where the higher player 1's attak is, the more likely they will hit player 2. also, the higher the def lvl of player 2, the less likely they will get hit. so it kind of is the same as what it is now, but gets players more involved. players can also decide whether to attack the top half or bottom half of their opponent, so tactics may come into play a bit. there could be a counter attack, where instead of defending, player 2 can press punch or kick, which defends still, but not as well, but has the chance of hurting them back, just like the mirror perk.

tell me what you think.

There is one problem you've forgotten about. The game is online and world wide - the pings are from 20ms up to 500 ms. You system makes people with high pink dying at spot - they have no chance to react in any sensible time.

Considering it - sorry, but I don't like this idea.

And there are times when ping goes even up to more than 1 sec. Then the current fighting system is also dangerous, because I don't have time to heal or diss. But that's it, never fight if lagging.

Indeed, it's enough having to worry about disengaging/healing/item loss and other things going on your environment if you're on PK or multi (or both at once) maps... directing your hits in combat would take too much attention out. And note down what Vanyel and petersohn just said...

So, I don't like this idea, would make everything far more complicated.

I like it. It makes perfect sense imo.

If I have high ping, I don't fight anything anyway as it is, so what would be different? :ph34r: Even now it's fatal if you get a ping spike.

Does sound good in theory! Maybe technology will improve well enough to use it.

For me and my equipment and connection there's no way of PK'ing. As it is when I click on a gargoyle, I can often end up with one out of three possible pink messages:

Get closer...

You can't fight dead entities...

or Welcome to the Underworld!

Every now and then I get to see the battle, lol!

Can I change my name to "The_Resync_King_FPS3"?

If I have high ping, I don't fight anything anyway as it is, so what would be different? :ph34r: Even now it's fatal if you get a ping spike.

it's not just how much ping you have... it's also how much ping your opponent has. why should the people in france get a big advantage to PKing over, say, australians?

Australians should stay crafters har har har (j/k)

I don't think any interactive fighting system is possible to implement at the moment and in game that play ppl all over the world.

If I have high ping, I don't fight anything anyway as it is, so what would be different? :P Even now it's fatal if you get a ping spike.

it's not just how much ping you have... it's also how much ping your opponent has. why should the people in france get a big advantage to PKing over, say, australians?

I never said or implied they should. And the ping argument applies currently with the pk system, also with the monsters as Samanex mentioned. Point is, whatever the system, if I have ping issues, I don't fight. Having special moves doesn't change that.

One possible way to get around the ping time issue is to have that used as an attack style selector, not as the actualy trigger for attack, that way you could change the style for attacks and if there is a delay, that just means you may not see the results right away.

Myself, I've of the belief that MMO's should have only semi-interactive fighting; If I wanted to jam buttons madly, I'd go play Street Fighter or Mortal Combat. I think a styles-based, rather than interaction-based system makes more sense.

One possible way to get around the ping time issue is to have that used as an attack style selector, not as the actualy trigger for attack, that way you could change the style for attacks and if there is a delay, that just means you may not see the results right away

yeh that'd be good, but you'd need a lot more options than just punch, kick and defend. it'd be a lot like final fantasy style battles though, but i like them!

Myself, I've of the belief that MMO's should have only semi-interactive fighting; If I wanted to jam buttons madly, I'd go play Street Fighter or Mortal Combat. I think a styles-based, rather than interaction-based system makes more sense.

i did have that in mind, thats why i suggested only 3 buttons.

Edited by algunar