Eternal Lands Official Forums
jamincollins

Mine Store Bots

I've been thinking about buying 4 self leveled bots that would be positioned throughout the land in various mines. These bots would sell basic supplies for the miners, such as: Pick Axes, Leather Gloves (if in sulphur mine), Health Essence, and possibly food.

They would of course not be position in a location that would allow them to harvest any resources. Additionally, they would not be able to carry a huge amount of any of these items as they would be self leveled bots and the mining items don't stack anyway.

I wanted to bounce the idea off folks here before putting too much time into it.

;) It would make the game waaaaay to easy. I dont like this idea at all. That is what the general store is for.

How would it make it too easy? Picks and Gloves don't stack, therefore a bot can only have 36 of them total. Make that 35 if you count a place for gold. And down to 33 if you add HE and any food source.

;) It would make the game waaaaay to easy. I dont like this idea at all. That is what the general store is for.

How would it make it too easy? Picks and Gloves don't stack, therefore a bot can only have 36 of them total. Make that 35 if you count a place for gold. And down to 33 if you add HE and any food source.

(Some will be insulted with my answer)

NO! Sorry, never.

Hmmm I think that not letting him have this bot would be unfair. It is no different than any other trade bot, except that it is near resources and it only stocks food, picks, and gloves....

(Some will be insulted with my answer)

NO! Sorry, never.

Any chance of getting something more detailed regarding why your against this? I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

Additionally, it seems that people are against these bots for putting tools/resources closer than the map did. I don't see how this is any different than Charn or Madameyes selling fruit just outside DP storage. I'm assuming the food was placed a fair distance from storage on purpose and was only vegetables at that. Now, prior to cooldown, both Charn and Madameyes sold Fruit just outside the storage. How is this really that much different?

Edited by jamincollins

How to go about this... What do you think general stores are for?Do you want to hurt the econamy? Why make life easier? Why do you think general stores were placed where they are? Do you think that this is going to help npc buying or make it obsalete? You could have it if you sold picks at 2k and gloves at 3k, then id have no problem with this ;) .

(is the only reason your doing this is because you pick axe broke and you had to walk all the way to the general store?)

How to go about this... What do you think general stores are for?Do you want to hurt the econamy? Why make life easier? Why do you think general stores were placed where they are? Do you think that this is going to help npc buying or make it obsalete? You could have it if you sold picks at 2k and gloves at 3k, then id have no problem with this :D .

(is the only reason your doing this is because you pick axe broke and you had to walk all the way to the general store?)

It's not going to stop the General Stores from selling picks. After all it's the only place to get them and they eventually break. So regardless of whether I buy them and put them on a bot or someone else buys them they are still being purchased at the same 15gc from the NPC. If there are 300 picks (just a random number) in circulation they all still originated from an NPC somewhere. After all, they can't be made.

In fact there's a distinct chance that if I'm providing HE for people to heal themselves that they will break more picks, since they will likely stay longer.

I saw this as a business opportunity. To provide a service I've seen asked for or commented about several times.

If the bots aren't moving though, then it should be legal...

radu? Is that you? :P

uhhh..you didn't have to be a jerk about it...all I meant was that it isn't any different than any other trade bot....

uhhh..you didn't have to be a jerk about it...all I meant was that it isn't any different than any other trade bot....

Not being a jerk. Too bad you didn't read the entire thread...there were other issues raised there as well, not just the stationary issue. Also ALL bots have to be approved FIRST, including locations. Nobody can go around saying "it should be legal".

Not being a jerk. Too bad you didn't read the entire thread...there were other issues raised there as well, not just the stationary issue. Also ALL bots have to be approved FIRST, including locations. Nobody can go around saying "it should be legal".

I DID read the thread, I'm just stating MY opinion that I think they should be allowed...

I don't get it...

Why is this thread filled with so much negativity whilst the previous one (the wandering one) had everyone praising the idea?

The one refered to: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...opic=14420&st=0

was a wandering merchant type, but it was said not to have gone ahead due to muling and macroing issues, fair enough (but the post didn't state cleary if it wasn't definately allowed, only "I think its against the rules" or "talk to xxx about it" ... you get the picture).

And this one, stationary gets a few bashes because...well I don't know why actually. It'd be good if people used constructive cricitsm, rather then the blunt NO (you don't have to use insults, just say why you didn't like it).

As for me, I'm quite partial to the idea. Its a relatively old selling concept for bots but with an added twist. I think this idea needs a bit of work for it to work.

Edited by MagpieLee

I don't get it...

Why is this thread filled with so much negativity whilst the previous one (the wandering one) had everyone praising the idea?

Well, first of all, I did not say i was for or against it. We the players are not the ones who will be deciding this. Of course the majority of players would want it. Anybody who mines would want it. However, these bots would be directly affecting the set-up that was specifically created by the game creators. Having the ability for players to buy pickaxes and healing essences and fruit and whatever other goodies jamincollins wants right from where one is harvesting/mining will negate several things deliberately added to the game. It is no accident there are no general stores or taverns or fruit in the caves. It is no accident there are harvesting events. It is no accident that leather gloves and pickaxes break. I'm not sure why people think trying to circumvent these issues will be approved.

Also my point was this, which I did talk to jamincollins in pm about. It isn't about whether the players want it, it's about whether entropy will allow it. Jamincollins needs to lay down exactly what he wants to do, leaving nothing out, including location. We have very strict bot rules and ALL bots need to be approved and tested, and do exactly what the bot application says. There are very strict penalties for illegally operating bots. If entropy says OK, then it doesn't matter what we all think. If he says NO, it doesn't matter what we all think.

I commend your composure Labby, I'm not against you in anyway.

But what bothers me was that judging from #1 post on the top of this page, suggested no harvesting/muling of any sort - a Static location.

And yet there was a horde of negative responses automatically saying NO NO NO. How pissed would you be? And its not as if it was going to happen without getting approval first it seems that the door had already been shut at the whisper of "mine" and "bot" in the same sentence.

Yes it is an old thread, and I'm surprised it wasn't brought up until now :)

Jamincollins was told in this thread and personally he needed to contact entropy directly and tell him exactly what he wants to do and where.

It's nobody's fault but his own if he chose not to. He had no business at all complaining because somebody else did.

Jamincollins was told in this thread and personally he needed to contact entropy directly and tell him exactly what he wants to do and where.

It's nobody's fault but his own if he chose not to. He had no business at all complaining because somebody else did.

I asked here as this was the bot forum, where as I understood it, questions about bots and proposed bots should first be aired. The overwhelming response was negative, and you even indicated that the idea was a "no-go".

I did ask Entropy, and got the following response

The problem is that it will help people in the mines harbest more resources and produce more stuff, which has a negative effect on the economy (overproduction).

This seems completely contrary to what is now happening. Heck, the current bot's position is almost exactly where I was planning to locate my bot.

Have you compared bots (your proposed one and Labrat's current one) to see what differences there might be that would explain his being accepted and yours not?

Have you compared bots (your proposed one and Labrat's current one) to see what differences there might be that would explain his being accepted and yours not?

I've noticed a major difference. The amount of money spent on the bot. However, non of Entropy's responses indicated that more money would change the answer. Nor, does anything in the bot rules/guidelines that are posted in this forum. The only response from Entropy that I receive that indicated any possibility of getting the bot approved was removal from the mine.

Looks like Agneum carries food and HE just as I was proposing. Along with other things. About the only thing it doesn't appear to be carrying that I proposed were pickaxes and gloves, and there is no indication that this was a required change for Agneum being approved.