Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Release candidate 2

when i start the game i get the following errors. using windows

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/human.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/dwarf.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/elf.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/gnome.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/orchan.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/graegoni.xml!

This is fixed in CVS.

To fix it for now, just remove the # from #data_dir in your el.ini.

Hi,

I tried to start the test update on my Windows XP machine. It crashes at startup and the following text appears in error_log.txt:

---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---

Log started at 2005-12-30 19:02:03

Error: Can't open file "./textures/fontv.bmp"

unknown frame property "CAL_idle3"

unknown frame property "CAL_pain3"

unknown frame property "CAL_die3"

Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle5.bmp"

Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle6.bmp"

Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle7.bmp"

---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---

The files it mentions are not on my system, neither in my old EL directory, nor in de test archive.

The version I had before the test update reports itself as version 1.1.2 beta.

I do see a startup screen with rules for a very brief moment before it crashes.

Hope this will be fixed before the final update :)

Unable to switch to map ./maps/cont2map16.elm!

Using an empty map instead.

Fatal error: Couldn't load map ./maps/nomap.elm.

Fix your maps.

Disconnected from server!

that same bug has been reported elsewhere, for now you can grab nomal.elm and you will be able to leave again (and don't go back until you have that map :) ) linky

if you change the font type (name font/chat font) with the second ones the background color is the same as the font itself so you can't see what's written

I think it's more that the font is all blocks rather than a background colour, but yes, there are problems with changing fonts. that has been the case for a long time. for now, just stick with the default

looks like you didn't get the data from that zip file (you can't ust extract to your EL dir, because it makes a new folder. copy stuff out of that into the right place)

no biggie, we've had those missing for a long time, you won't crash from it

Hi,

I tried to start the test update on my Windows XP machine. It crashes at startup and the following text appears in error_log.txt:

Try to delete el.cfg

The old PMs bug is back.... after leaving the client on for 8-12 hours then you start to see the old pms again.... and then things can get very confusing... :evilgrin:

looks like you didn't get the data from that zip file (you can't ust extract to your EL dir, because it makes a new folder. copy stuff out of that into the right place)

I did that already. Are there specific files I should check?

no biggie, we've had those missing for a long time, you won't crash from it

Okay :evilgrin:

Hi,

Try to delete el.cfg

That did not work either. It still crashes on startup. :)

Are there any more things I should check or provide more info on my client?

By the way, the test client still reports itself as version 1.1.2 beta on startup, the same as the official client. I assume it will be updated before the official release of the new client :D

Nice, loaded FAST... not much higher FPS, I think maybe even a bit lower, did turn up the near plane clipping so that may be it.

No errors other than the book ones. Ping was horrible, though that's more likely the torrents I'm seeding than EL. :)

That did not work either. It still crashes on startup.

Getting a fresh El.ini file helped for me :)

That did get me a bit further. I started with an empty el.ini file, deleted el.cfg and started the game. It does not crash on startup now, but I cannot log on. I see the password screen, I can type my name and password, but hitting Enter or clicking on the logon button does nothing. I can click the New Character button though and it brings me to the character creation screen, which looks okay.

I tried adjusting several settings in the el.ini file, both through an editor, through the elconfig utility and through the options panel in the New Character screen, but to no avail. I did notice the games crashes on startup though when I enable the no sound option, so this is probably another problem...

Any suggestions? :icon4:

I stumbled onto the upgrade without knowing what it was all about, and safely replaced old with new in my EL folder. It's been working very well! Now if I could stop playing the game and read about it more thoroughly, I'd provide some better insight....

My antique ATI card, 1.5 ghz chip, and 512 RAM seem to like it. My lag hasn't improved but that's probably not the clients fault. My FPS is still one of the lowest in the game (2-12 avg) and hasn't gone up noticably.

The lightning and thunder effects are functional and impressive! The graphics seem to be sharper and more colorful, but maybe because I cleaned my glasses. Fighting animals and low level monsters seems to be a little easier somehow.

The only 'trouble' I have is opening web pages with F2. My default browser is Firefox and when I press F2 a small DOS window appears, the game stalls, and very slowly an Internet Explorer page opens. The DOS window only lasts a few seconds and the game resumes once it closes. The IE window affects the lag and task bar and other MS nonsense, but the game still plays.

After two days, I still haven't played with the options at all, or looked to see what I should expect with the new client, so you can consider a true blind test case! Not to mention 'doh' dumb......

In the hands of a troglodyte, the client works very, very, well. Hoorah, Dev team!!! :D

The only 'trouble' I have is opening web pages with F2. My default browser is Firefox

ooer. I need to point out to all windows users something here... if you remove the browser setting (in the config window or in el.ini) and you have a default browser set (and it's highly likely you do, they all want to complain if not default when loaded), then EL will use your default browser now.

also please note... this is a relatively new feature and those who use an older client (even if you're using both at once) shouldn't try this... because when you go back to the old client F2 won't work at all :D

this not only uses the default browser setting, it also does away with the dos window popping up, it's slightly more efficient (but don't expect to notice much gain in performance, you won't)

My video mode defaults to 800 x 600 even though I have 1024 x 768 in the config. It even shows the latter as the setting in the options window. Any attempt to change it results in a crash. The error dump is:

EL executed an invalid instruction in

module <unknown> at 0000:00000017.

Registers:

EAX=004db520 CS=018f EIP=00000017 EFLGS=00010202

EBX=00000200 SS=0197 ESP=01b9fb48 EBP=01b9fb78

ECX=00000200 DS=0197 ESI=00000200 FS=460f

EDX=00000000 ES=0197 EDI=004db5a8 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

f0 54 20 00 f0 fc 1f 00 f0 00 00 95 09 28 00 d8

Stack dump:

01b9fb4c 004345a0 00000200 00000200 004db5b0 004db5ac 004db5a8 00000400 00000300 0042400c 03ebf810 00000400 01b9fbd8 0041abc4 00000400 00000300

I've deleted the el.cfg already also...

umm,

since i used this client, i see the lightnings, but i havent seen any rain since then.

But some funny new messages:

Premature start of weather effect!

Double stop of weather effect!

Concerning combat delay: yes it still happens that a creature falls dead on the ground and the bag appears and AFTER that the char starts the fighting animation.

Piper

I see fog everywhere... DP, TD, even in storage areas and CC! At first I thought it was a new lighting routine, but it was more diffused at the top of the screen. I experimented a bit and it all clears up if I turn off the fog render option. Overall, pretty stable for a test client :)