Eternal Lands Official Forums
furtradertyler

DNS Server? [SOLVED]

Iwhen i try to connect it says Can't resolve server address.

Perhaps you are not connected to the Internet or your DNS server is down!

K thats the problem but i am connected to the net so i dont know why its says i am not. Not sure what a DNS server is.

Edited by Derin

What EL port you trying to connect too?

Or it could be a FireWall blocking it, but I doubt that.

I think the EL port is 2000. Look in your EL folder for more info. :devlish:

I checked my port is 2000 but whats the perferred internet browser should i have in the config?

GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

Couldn't find the GL_*_point_sprite extension, not using it...

GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, NOT using it...

GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, NOT using it...

GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, NOT using it...

Connecting to Server...

Can't resolve server address.

Perhaps you are not connected to the Internet or your DNS server is down!

Thats what it says i copy/pasted from the chat log for today.

Edited by furtradertyler

K ill try it

Ah flippers it didnt help. I messeged piper and aislinn so maybe they can get here and read my prob.

Edited by furtradertyler

Norton but i mean i play all the time with it on.

Double check your Norton, it has been causing lots of trouble to people off and on. Most players have had to tell Norton not to block the EL game server.

I turned off my Internet last night to see, and I had the same problem..

But I wasn't not connected to the Internet at all..

So there must be something that's blocking EL.

hey

i had the same problem once.. played for a year and all of a sudden this.. no things changed on my comp..so i thought ah nvm i dont feel like el now (it was late).. but the next everything was fine again. very strange.. i didnt do anything with firewall etc..

so i guess, wait or something :)

Well i already checked my norton and it is approving it so its not that. Problem must be in the DNS Server because i mean it says i might not be connected to the net but i mean i am duhh. So it must be the DNS Server down not sure how to fix it but thanks Q ill try EL when i get home from school.

hmm everytime i had this problem my router was down. But you tried this in two places. Same laptop? errm. You looked and seen it was connecting to port 2000 on the right host.. hmm is your ip on the whitelist? Some ISP gets banned.. whats your isp?

Well for one no i didnt try this in two places. I dont have a laptop this is a home computer. Yes i do have 2000 port. Ill post in whitelist see if my ip is banned.

If it's banned, you'll get a message on startup saying something to that extent, not a "Cannot connect to server. :)" message.

Oh really but I dont get cannot connect either dont know?

You can try changing #server_address in EL.ini to "62.93.225.26". If that works it means your DNS server has been down. If it doesn't it means it is something else. I doubt it will help since you seem to be able to connect to the forums without problem, but it is worth a try.

No derin i cannot not see the page. I dont have a file in my EL Folder named EL.ini? So i am not sure where i can put that in. I tried my el.config but in the #server_address part

Didnt work.

If you cant see the players online page you have an internet problem, which has nothing to do with the game. You need to check possible firewalls, anti-virus programs and your ISP's potential blocks etc.

The el.ini file is a must for the game though, if must be in your EL-folder. If its not I suggest you reinstall the game. EL wont work without it.

Well first as i have stated a million times i have norton and i turned it off and it still did not work. Also i reinstalled it and i dont have a file called el.ini? Should i try and download it again and then install it?

The reinstalling it wont work thats why i suggested maybe redownloading it.

Edited by furtradertyler

Well first as i have stated a million times i have norton and i turned it off and it still did not work. Also i reinstalled it and i dont have a file called el.ini? Should i try and download it again and then install it?

The reinstalling it wont work thats why i suggested maybe redownloading it.

No, you have it, but depending on your settings in Windows, it may be that you only see a text file named EL.

It is located in your EternalLands folder, usually its in

c:\program files\Eternal Lands

Piper

I checked my port is 2000 but whats the perferred internet browser should i have in the config?

if you you windows, do not have any browser selected in el.ini

in fact, anyone using windows, go and remove that setting.

why? because it uses your default browser now, but in the next version if you have one set it will use that(and yes, that means unless we overwrite el.ini in the update, we lose the autoconfiguration...)

if you don't have a file called 'el.ini' in your EL directory, there are three possibilities.

• you're using *nix. in which case, go to ~/.elc/ (not your problem, but here for completeness)
  • the file is hidden. common with windows wanting to hide extensions. if it's this, look at the various files called 'el'. if there's one that has a 'file type' (as you'll see if you use the detailed view) of 'configuration settings' or similar, it's probably that one. double click to open in notepad.
  • your EL install is damaged or incomplete. a common cause of this is people grabbing the update instead of the full installer. if you think you may have used the update version, go back to the downloads page and get the full version

Edited by ttlanhil