Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arnieman

Channel 4 is becoming congested...

Channel 4 has been used for General Chat forever - but this was low before 1.1.0. So Guild Recruitment had been added to the oft-ignored Channel 4, and all was well - Channel 4 took a breath of life.

Except now we have multi-chat - so chatting in the General Chat Channel has actually become possible, while still monitoring and chatting in other channels. As such, General Chat has become slightly more popular, and now Guild Recruitment is often interfereing with General Chat, and vice versa. Oh, and now with "Training Partners" causing more confusion.

Suggestion: General Chat and Guild Recruitment need separate channels, IMO. With conversation picking up, and actual recruitment, the channel just becomes a mess.

Any opinions (or should I have posted this on ttlanhil's list?)

Darn decent request if you ask me! what is ttlanhil's list?

Side note: General Chat channel will be full and busy always. It is afterall the General chat channel. :devlish:

Sometimes its dead though. I like the guild recruitment on it [#4] as it opens up the avenue to talk about the guilds.

There has only been two real deep conversations on #4. The 'weight of gc' and the 'evolutionish vs creationist'. You was there both times I reckon !

Well funny you should bring it up.

This subject is discussed at least once a day by the mods. For the exact reasons you bring up.

There technically is/was:

--jc 4 which was "general chat" for EL stuff

--jc 5 which was "off topic" (non EL stuff)

--jc 8 which was market/off topic

and maybe another but I forgot what it was...

--and even jc 11 which was flames...but I think we discontinued that.

But long story short, we have tried for so long to get everybody who chatters away off-topic in channels 1 and 3 to go to channel 4. And nobody would because they all without fail would say "Well I would go but nobody is there".

So add to that dividing up the few who actually would go to jc 4 into the above mentioned topics and it would totally defeat the purpose. The channels would still end up pretty empty. And nobody would go.

So we have pretty much decided that we are much happier having a lot of people in jc 4, even if it is kind of a mix of guild recruitment and training partner searches and britney spears convos and world peace convos. It seems that the point is...people want to go where the other people are.

And that is the short version ;)

And now you know how Tanyia's siggy came about lol.

what is ttlanhil's list?

216320[/snapback]

probably the list of channels I was collecting, it's at the end of the channels guide on el.net

except now chan 5 is being advertised ingame as roleplay (like, hunh? as a roleplay leader, to have heard nothing else than that...)

So add to that dividing up the few who actually would go to jc 4 into the above mentioned topics and it would totally defeat the purpose.  The channels would still end up pretty empty.  And nobody would go.

216355[/snapback]

and another problem, the limit of 3 channels. that's already a problem (without that, I'd like to be on channels 1, sometimes 3, sometimes 4, 5/50, 22, 421, guild, and maybe others)

even were both of the split channels used, that limits what else you can be doing

what is ttlanhil's list?

216320[/snapback]

probably the list of channels I was collecting, it's at the end of the channels guide on el.net

except now chan 5 is being advertised ingame as roleplay (like, hunh? as a roleplay leader, to have heard nothing else than that...)

So add to that dividing up the few who actually would go to jc 4 into the above mentioned topics and it would totally defeat the purpose.  The channels would still end up pretty empty.  And nobody would go.

216355[/snapback]

and another problem, the limit of 3 channels. that's already a problem (without that, I'd like to be on channels 1, sometimes 3, sometimes 4, 5/50, 22, 421, guild, and maybe others)

even were both of the split channels used, that limits what else you can be doing

216403[/snapback]

jc 5 being roleplay now has nothing to do with the issue Arnieman brought up. My point was that we did have the set-up he was talking about and I was explaining why it didn't work. And that explanation also is why it is now the roleplay channel. We want all the official channels to be in the 1-10 range if at all possible, and since we had decided to discontinue the specialization of chat channels, 5 was a good channel to pick for roleplaying. :(

Even 3 channels at once is a huge help. Maybe we will get more but even with more, there is no point in splitting up the general chat. As I stated before, people want to go where the other people are. If they are scattered all over, it defeats the purpose.

So to bring it back to what Arnieman asked, if people are looking for guild recruits, doesn't it make sense they would want to go where the most people are at once, and where they won't get yelled at for being off topic?

I know the old problem - channel 4 was empty, and no one went there. Why? If you wanted to be in a channel, you had to choose ONE channel. Thus, you had to choose between newbie help, OR trade, OR, chat, OR trivia, OR guild chat (if your guild used the guild channel), OR a language-specific chat, OR a contest, and so on. ONE channel meant ONE choice, and since the players weren't in the general chat channel, they needed somewhere to chat - they literally took the chat with them, and that could cause problems in Newbie Help/Market Channels. Guild Recruitment was added to get some life into General Chat, and it worked, kind of.

Well, now we have the multichannel support - three channels open, three choices. People who are just chatting (nothing real serious, necessarily) are starting to populate the chat channel - and guild recruiters are too - after all, makes sense to have recruiters go where people are.

BUT, it seems rather rude to me that people are happily engaged in a conversation, or just idle chatter, and all the sudden, so-and-so wants people to join their guild - and there's not really anyone looking to be recruited. Or, so-and-so is looking for a guild, and no recruiters. Then, there are the people who get irate if someone doesn't recruit them or take their recruiting offer, and get repetitious. Then, there are the guild recruitment bots - quite alright for a guild recruitment channel, but quite a nuisance to a chat channel to have the same message spammed repeatedly - alright, I know you can just #ignore those.

Personally, I understand recruiters and recruits want to be where people are - but there's also obvious reasoning to not having them recruit on #1 and #3. So, my idea is to split the two - give the chatters a peaceful place to chatter, and the recruiters/recruits a place to meet that they know they will only meet serious recruits/recruiters.

People aren't going to go to an empty channel and just sit there waiting for recruiters/recruitees. They just aren't.

I also don't see somebody entering general chat and interupting with guild recruitment any different or more rude than somebody else coming in and interupting with "hey you see that garg on the loose in whitestone?" while everybody else is talking about some new manu item. *shrugs* General chat is just that, there will always be multiple conversations going on at once if there is any respectable amount of people there.

side note: ***The bots are supposed to be following a "one message no more frequently than 15 minutes" rule anyway...just like the bots in the market channel. <_<

People aren't going to go to an empty channel and just sit there waiting for recruiters/recruitees.  They just aren't.

I also don't see somebody entering general chat and interupting with guild recruitment any different or more rude than somebody else coming in and interupting with "hey you see that garg on the loose in whitestone?" while everybody else is talking about some new manu item. *shrugs* General chat is just that, there will always be multiple conversations going on at once if there is any respectable amount of people there.

side note: ***The bots are supposed to be following a "one message no more frequently than 15 minutes" rule anyway...just like the bots in the market channel.  <_<

216498[/snapback]

Fair enough - but multiple conversations is one thing; People trying to take over any/all conversation (as guild recruitment often can) is another.

***for side note: I know of 2 bots that recrui - there may be more, and could in the future be more. If each bot is limited to 1 message in 15 minutes, and you have 2 bots, that is 1 bot message in 7.5 minutes, assuming they are spaced out. If there are 3, that would become 5 minutes, and so on - and I'm sure there are more than 15 guilds that could recruit - that's 1 message a minute. That also assumes that the bot(s) don't become buggy (as happened before) and just spam the channel.

Fair enough - but multiple conversations is one thing; People trying to take over any/all conversation (as guild recruitment often can) is another.

***for side note: I know of 2 bots that recrui - there may be more, and could in the future be more.  If each bot is limited to 1 message in 15 minutes, and you have 2 bots, that is 1 bot message in 7.5 minutes, assuming they are spaced out.  If there are 3, that would become 5 minutes, and so on - and I'm sure there are more than 15 guilds that could recruit - that's 1 message a minute.  That also assumes that the bot(s) don't become buggy (as happened before) and just spam the channel.

216502[/snapback]

Guild recruitment is no more important than anything else in jc 4, nor is it the main purpose of jc 4. Just as with anyone else, recruiters and recruitees do NOT have the right to be rude or spammy. Others in the channel are within their rights to request they follow all rules and also the common courtesy rules that everyone else should be following.

I'm not a huge fan of the bot issue of spewing out announcements in a channel. I agree this is something that needs to be looked at and discussed.

People aren't going to go to an empty channel and just sit there waiting for recruiters/recruitees. They just aren't.

I disagree.

if you can be on more channels than you use, some people will 'idle' on other channels just to wait and see if something happens.

granted, you then need someone to show up and ask if anyone is recruiting, but then you may get a half dozen idling recruiters speak up

I'm sure there are some IRCers around who are used to just watching some channels without doing anything on them

I disagree.

if you can be on more channels than you use, some people will 'idle' on other channels just to wait and see if something happens.

Well right now we can't be on more channels than we can use, so it is immaterial.

I disagree.

Well right now we can't be on more channels than we can use, so it is immaterial.

Actually, it's a question of the channels we DO use, not those we CAN use. In theory, we CAN use 1 billion channels - but we can't use them all at once. With multichannel, it is possible to be active in 1 channel, and "idle" in 2 others now. Therefore, if they are active in another channel, what is the problem of sitting in an empty channel if they know that the next person is either a recruit or recruiter?

And, there are some people who do sit in empty channels.

Well most people I know are in 1 or 4, and 3, and a guild channel (not their official one, but a random chosen number so they can have guests). And voila, all 3 used up just like that.

And by "more channels than we can use" I meant at the same time.

Well most people I know are in 1 or 4, and 3, and a guild channel (not their official one, but a random chosen number so they can have guests). And voila, all 3 used up just like that.

I "used" to be on #jc 1 and #jc 50 all the time.But thanks to you ebul mods im now on the" off topic" channel instead of 50 :confused: At least change the name to role playing channel.

I "used" to be on #jc 1 and #jc 50 all the time.But thanks to you ebul mods im now on the" off topic" channel instead of 50 :P At least change the name to role playing channel.

Next update/restart it will be :)

note: that's next client update

and yes, lack of available channels is a problem cause