Eternal Lands Official Forums
RayGunner

linux no host

:( i got a problem with my linux install. i downloaded and extracted game file to /usr/local/games/el/ with no problem. i set all permissions to full read/write allowed for all users. now when i enter el.x86.linux.bin in the run box, i get this

error kdesktop

unknown host

el.x86.linux.bin

i am using a complete hard drive install of pclinuxos. it is based on kde mandrake.

any help would be nice. :battleaxe_rune:

:blink:http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/index.html

Edited by Derin

Try opening a terminal. and typing the following commands.

cd /usr/local/games/el/
./el.x86.linux.bin

Let me know what happens.

Extra note: I do not know "pclinuxos" but I have used Mandrake and you should have no problems.

Try opening a terminal. and typing the following commands.

cd /usr/local/games/el/
./el.x86.linux.bin

Let me know what happens.

Extra note: I do not know "pclinuxos" but I have used Mandrake and you should have no problems.

215595[/snapback]

tried a few variations. got a bash, then "not a directory" :blink:

Insure that the file el.x86.linux.bin is in the folder. /usr/local/games/el/

The command to see what is in the current folder is:

ls

If the file in there. If it is, we will go from there. If not, we will need to find where it is. Use basic commands in a terminal/shell to get around. (sorry if Im treating you like a linux newbie, I do not know how new you are)

cd foldername
cd ..

cd foldername will let you jump into any folder you can see in the "ls" list.

cd .. will let you go "up a level" or out of that folder you just jumped into.

Alternately, you can use any window-browser you have to locate the files.

:) I have checked there and tried many variations on that to. most times nothing happens or command not reconized. the best i get is unknown host. at least it trys. i will keep trying till my fingers get tired. :wacko:

i chatted with sirironheart. he made a suggest about making a rpm file. he says it a auto install for my os. i have no idea how to do this and he not know how. so if anyone out there knows how and can make the eternal lands game files into a rpm file, please let me know. i can download with yahoo and other file tranfer programes. :fire:

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/html/package_list.html

:w00t: and thank you for the fast replys everybody :hiya:

Edited by RayGunner

open up wherever you unpacked the file with your file browser of choice (konqueror, most likely)

check if the file called "el.x86.linux.bin" is actually there. you also need to make sure that you have execute priviledges for this file(if not, you will have errors)

now, where you have unpacked it is not in the path, therefore when you try to put it in the `run` box, KDE/linux will not find the file.

since it has more than one period in it, the next thing KDE will try is checking if it's an internet address. since it's not, you get the host not found message. (if it was EL saying the host was not found, then you'd have the EL window come up, load all data, check for rules, then try to connect. if this happens and then you get a host not found, that's an entirely different problem)

once you have execute priviledges for the file, you should be able to double-click it (assuming your KDE is set up like this. might be single-click if you have different settings) to run it.

if you open up ~/.elc/el.ini (it's in a hidden folder in your home directory, konqueror may show them in faded colours or something, but should show them) and change the "#data_dir = " line to point to where you unpacked the full install (you did get the full install, right? if you got the update only, you'll have more problems later), you can run the game from anywhere on yoru computer. this means you can make shortcuts on your desktop or the K menu

edit: oh, and as to RPM... that's not too complicated if you have a working setup, but there are issues as to where to put it (it will be another ~20Mb file that need to be hosted for download somewhere with high bandwidth available)

I can't do it at current though, my linux install is rather out of date :P (plus I use slackware, which doesn't use RPM packages, but making one would still be pretty easy)

Edited by ttlanhil

open up wherever you unpacked the file with your file browser of choice (konqueror, most likely)

check if the file called "el.x86.linux.bin" is actually there. you also need to make sure that you have execute priviledges for this file(if not, you will have errors)

now, where you have unpacked it is not in the path, therefore when you try to put it in the `run` box, KDE/linux will not find the file.

since it has more than one period in it, the next thing KDE will try is checking if it's an internet address. since it's not, you get the host not found message. (if it was EL saying the host was not found, then you'd have the EL window come up, load all data, check for rules, then try to connect. if this happens and then you get a host not found, that's an entirely different problem)

once you have execute priviledges for the file, you should be able to double-click it (assuming your KDE is set up like this. might be single-click if you have different settings) to run it.

if you open up ~/.elc/el.ini (it's in a hidden folder in your home directory, konqueror may show them in faded colours or something, but should show them) and change the "#data_dir = " line to point to where you unpacked the full install (you did get the full install, right? if you got the update only, you'll have more problems later), you can run the game from anywhere on yoru computer. this means you can make shortcuts on your desktop or the K menu

edit: oh, and as to RPM... that's not too complicated if you have a working setup, but there are issues as to where to put it (it will be another ~20Mb file that need to be hosted for download somewhere with high bandwidth available)

I can't do it at current though, my linux install is rather out of date :P (plus I use slackware, which doesn't use RPM packages, but making one would still be pretty easy)

215769[/snapback]

Still trying to run game. most times nothing happens. is it maybe my 3d video? i have nvidea agp and it work great when i was using windows 98. i need to find way to make sure 3d enabled. sih says it maybe that. but he knows windows systems and not know much bout linux. so it be blind leading blind and we both fall in same hole :) i going back over every thing and try again. :omg::confused:

To see if you have 3D support, run the following in a terminal

glx-info | grep -i "direct rendering:"

If that says "No", the drivers installed (if any) do not support direct rendering. Try upgrading your drivers (or installing some)

Dont give up. Because you will be glad when it is finished. Also, if you give up, you will probably come back to it anyway, just sore from where it was annoying "last time"

We can help you out. Lots of knowledge here.

:w00t: i am not going to give up so easy :o i got the drivers for my nvidea card from nvidea support. got all the way to the install using cd and sh commands. got that part figured out. but now i got to find out how to turn off x envirement to allow install to complete. anybody know how or the command to do that? i keep trying to find it in the help files. no luck so far. :) still trying here.

You might check your /etc/inittab for comments. I'm using Slackware and mine starts with:

#
# Version:      @(#)inittab             2.04    17/05/93        MvS
#              #
# Version:      @(#)inittab             2.04    17/05/93        MvS
#                                       2.10    02/10/95        PV
#                                       3.00    02/06/1999      PV
#                                       4.00    04/10/2002      PV
#
# Author:       Miquel van Smoorenburg, <miquels@drinkel.nl.mugnet.org>
# Modified by:  Patrick J. Volkerding, <volkerdi@slackware.com>
#

# These are the default runlevels in Slackware:
#   0 = halt
#   1 = single user mode
#   2 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)
#   3 = multiuser mode (default Slackware runlevel)
#   4 = X11 with KDM/GDM/XDM (session managers)
#   5 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)
#   6 = reboot

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
id:3:initdefault:
. . .

I think that if I do an

init 1

I would get a text console in single-user mode or

init 3 

to get multi-user text consoles (actually that is the way I run normally - I start X manually when I need it).

-_- from what i can tell, the 3d is running. maybe it the pclinuxos that is the problem. i going to try dl fedora and see what it looks like. i will let everybody know what i find out. :axeman_rune: