Eternal Lands Official Forums
jhunlemon

New skill for theives

Thieves can be a good addition to the game.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Thieves can be a good addition to the game.

• Yes they are! :P but it must be possible in any map.
    • Yes but only make thieving possible in PK maps.
    • No! Bagjumpers are problem enough already.

1. A player(LupinIII) right clicks on a another player until his cursor becomes like the little hand used for picking up bags (eye, sword, hand)

2. Left clicks and takes something random from the other guys inventory (or even something worn.)

3. a. The victim gets a message like "Your thermal serpent sword was stolen by LupinIII"

b. LupinIII gets exp in Pickpocketing and a message like "You stole Shivar's thermal serpent sword. Now run!"

Perhaps this can only be done in PK maps, to give non-PKers some fun in PK maps. Of course the victim can run after the theif and get all or most of the theif's stuff from his DB. :P

A low level theif can only take something of the least value from the victim's inventory, while a level 50 theif will surely get the thing of most importance.

Just a thought, feel free to rip it apart :(

I don't think it could be done, cause there is much sayed: running could not be done (or something like).

And thieves don't walk if they stole something :(

But, it is a good idea if the running thing could be done :P

"running" in my suggestion is not part of the suggestion, its just like the message "You've disengaged from the battle now run!...errr walk away."

I'm suggesting about the thieving skill and how it can be done, not "running" per se.

I've read over and over that "running" will not be in the game and I won't say otherwise.

I can't say I like this idea. Stealing items bought by $ is more less same as stealing items in real life.

I know it is very RPish to have skill like 'stealing', but...

how about steal only gold what a person have in his inv ?

like the higher lvl u have the more % gold u get from this person

but the thief wil be pkble ;P:P:P

Any thieving skills must be balanced by some sort of caught-and-punish scheme.

Detection of a crime would use perception, so is a skill vs perception challenge?

Punishment systems could include PK'able (useful on non-PK maps), but since this is may be considered a desirable attribute by some characters, it is not always effective.

It could alleviate antisocial behaviour if 'civil crimes' are somehow included -- one discussion I started on this a while ago was on 'bad boy points'.

See also previous discussions on punishment systems, prison and hard labour (about the only one which stood up to scrutiny).

I am still deciding if i like it or not.

From a RP point of view is sure sounds good.

Here is what i think should be attached to this suggestion for me to like it:

1. only minor items can be stolen and in small quantities (money, essences, animal parts etc)

2. There is a fair chance that you will be discovered. And if you are you will be labeled as a thief (ingame mechanics: you are automatically PKable)

3. the chance of actually steal an item is based on skill, attributes and circumstances (like it will be easier if the person is afk)

4. there is a min level set to protect newcomers in the game, like OA 10 or so.

So basically I agree with Shivar and Trollson, but I am not convinced.

Hrm...interesting...I kinda like it but the addition of an automatic 15 seconds PKable status on the thieve when they steal from a PC is needed to balance it I think. This way thieves would be very careful of when they attempt to steal. If a thief tries to steal in DP storage for example they would be PKable in a mass of bored people looking for something to do :mace:

In addition I would suggest that if they attempt to steal from a monster that they would be at -15 def and that the monster automatically attacks them if they detect the attempt (a use for the perception attribute perhaps?).

Being able to steal from monsters and NPCs is not a good suggestion IMO.

Monsters would just be too odd "You successfully picked the pockets of the Fluffy Rabbit and got 4 gold coins" <shrugs>

Being able to steal from NPCs

"like extremely high lvl thief gets a "free" sigil from magic shop npc"

- jhunlemon

will inbalance the money control system of the market, and the NPC cannot take any action by itself.

I suggest for the Thieve/Steal skill (I'd call it pickpocket) to have a skill ladder like this:

at level 0 only being able to steal gc

at level 1 also bones

at level 2 raw meat

at level 3 fur

etc.

Also the more levelled up you become, lesser probability of getting noticed/caught by the person that you're stealing from.

To protect Noobs: no pickpocketing on IP !!!

(maybe make a new entry in the poll for possible everywhere, except on IP)

1. What would you like with stolen sigil?

2. Only small items, there is not big chance somebody could steal somebody's else shoes without being noticed:/

3. Only small quantities, try to imagine stealin 200 bones ::mace::

4. PKable for not less than 10 minutes - the rumors are deadly. When caught the thief freeze for 5 seconds.

5. Minimum level - lowest skill below 20

6. No ladder needed, there is fair chance you steal 100gc as well as 5 bones - just luck;

7. Perception/coordiantion/charm used to count chance of stealing/discovering. People with high coordination are molie likely to catch the thief, as well as ppl with high perception are able to notice it. Charm should make stealing easier.

8. Still doesn't like it at all.

Two things:

- how about allrounders ? (people that are raising all their skills - and there are many people like these) You want to make them all thiefes ?

- training that skill - just 2 people hidden in empty area trying to steal each other items for days to get uber high thief (stealing) lvl...and they wouldn't be bothered with being PKable or such. Unless you want also add some stupid/nonsence/limited amout/whatever else rules about thiefs and stealing

- connected to 2nd - 2 people using macro-steal to get high 'free' exp ?

EDITED:

- and person who stole something will be marked as thief and will finish like Legalus... everybody will hate/ignore/flame him = impossible to play, and that wouldn't be worth EVEN a serp.

- about stealing possible in PK maps only... well, most known/fair players won't be stealing, but all others would be suspicious = DEAD before even say 'hi', and i guess all newbs will die in sight.

Edited by Gen_Axis

Two things:

- training that skill - just 2 people hidden in empty area trying to steal each other items for days to get uber high thief (stealing) lvl...and they wouldn't be bothered with being PKable or such. Unless you want also add some stupid/nonsence/limited amout/whatever else rules about thiefs and stealing

- connected to 2nd - 2 people using macro-steal to get high 'free' exp ?

202705[/snapback]

So true:/ Darn, I have to agree. Macroing this skill would be too easy.

Edited by vanyel

yes, I like the idea of being able to roleplay shady characters... but no, I don't think it'll work in EL (at least as proposed. if we get different styles of fighting or something like that then there could be an assassin type, with sneak attacks. that's shady and would work)

So true:/ Darn, I have to agree. Macroing this skill would be too easy.

202714[/snapback]

Yeah, it sounded like a great idea, but thinking about the macroing possibilities makes me say: ditch the pickpocket-idea !!!

Being able to steal from monsters and NPCs is not a good suggestion IMO.

Monsters would just be too odd "You successfully picked the pockets of the Fluffy Rabbit and got 4 gold coins"  <shrugs>

202666[/snapback]

thats just the extreme circumstance...stop doing that. Always with the worst case scenario.

thought of the possibility of only having only the plausable monsters (gobs, ogres, orcs) Pickpocketable?

lol, and what money control system?!

Monsters would just be too odd "You successfully picked the pockets of the Fluffy Rabbit and got 4 gold coins"  <shrugs>

202666[/snapback]

yeah, about as bad as them dropping a book or coins or whatever when they die, right?

err... I mean, uhh... :)

Or rephrase that:

You sneak around behind the Fluffy Rabbit, avoiding its attentions, and reach into its burrow... You find 4 gold coins.

Obsessive completists: A skill comes with a collection of abilities, usually gained as knowledge. So any 'stealth' or 'sleight' skills could have illegitimate uses ('sneak', 'pickpocket') as well as legitimate ones ('hide', 'card trick'). The completist could pursue all skills; the choice is then whether to learn the knowledge from the Thieves' Guild. For that matter, the existing skills could have illegitimate abilities ('backstab' for attack?). The profession of a Rogue could be spread over all skills, depending on their nature.

Repetition repetition repetition: A problem, but plenty of ways to implement the skills to avoid it. There is the proposed 'item cool-down time' for instance? Or maybe performing the act itself was sufficient to earn criminal mark (this is probably essential since as I said some characters seek PK'ability!).

thats just the extreme circumstance...stop doing that. Always with the worst case scenario.

thought of the possibility of only having only the plausable monsters (gobs, ogres, orcs) Pickpocketable?

202780[/snapback]

yeah, about as bad as them dropping a book or coins or whatever when they die, right?

err... I mean, uhh...  :)

202783[/snapback]

Yep, you have convinced me Pickpocket or stealing as a skill is a bad idea. I voted No

Edited by Derin

Thanks for all your inputs, as i have said its

just a thought, feel free to rip it apart :cry:

Most have done a great job at it (man it was ripped apart :P).

I agree that the risk for uberpowerleveling is uber high. But then again the risk for most skills is just the same.

- how about allrounders ? (people that are raising all their skills - and there are many people like these) You want to make them all thiefes ?

I don't see it much different from Fighting, all-arounders can be PKers or Hunters (Fighters only for monsters and not players).

If its possible to steal a few coins from monsters/npcs just to train the skill, just like training a/d, then being a theif is not any worse than being a hunter.

Now, if one decides to steal from players (and as I've suggested, only in PK-maps) then s/he is no worse than a PKer, right?

Moreover, I can see this as an additional strategy in PKing, say:

1. Shivar attacks Lupin in KF

2. Lupin steals Shivar's greaves and then counter attacks (thus giving the little guy a bit more chance at defeating the big guns).

How about if the skill is "Theiving" (or something more general) and not "pickpocketing" so low lvl theives pickpocket while higher lvls can become lockpickers?

I've been wondering about those huge locks on some doors in TG map (and I think I've seen some in the Naralik Catacombs as well). If those locks can somehow be picked, think of the possibilities, new quests, new stories and discoveries... :)

edit:typo

Edited by jhunlemon

i have an idea of how to deal with macro'ers for that skill. when someone is caught, they take a bit of damage. (i.e. the goblin saw you trying to steal his gold and kicked you in the face)

How about having some books that need to be read?

Skill = stealing

Books: advanced stealing, pickpocketing, etc.

sneaking, stealth, etc.