Eternal Lands Official Forums
Perun

Some Friendly Client Suggestions

I thought I would add my voice to the mix. I apologise in advance for suggestions that have been mentioned elsewhere before. Comments are based on version 1.1.0

Simpler configuration dialog

I can't even imagine the average user having any use to change all of the options currently. Do I really need to be able to change the perspective view? Do I need to be able to control the pointer container types? I think some of the advanced options can be stripped from the current configuration dialog, perhaps just leave them in the el.ini or make a seperate command accessible configuration dialog. You'll probably save a bunch of time not doing support after users have changed options.

Food disabled while 'eating'

I make essences a lot, I probably use most of my time making them. Getting "Can't use an item after another, you need at least 1 second before [re]using an item." when eating is tiresome. If you could disable the item types from being used, and maybe make a timed (1 second) window shade rollup effect over all the items in inventory/quickbar, that would be very cool. You could hide the error message from the main screen at least, perhaps keeping it in console and in a log.

A sit on harvest option

The ultimate indulgence option for me, I do the actions out of habit already, but this will save probably a week of my mouse's lifetime.

A quit/exit button

I can't find the exit button if there is one anymore; it was a checkbox before I believe. A simple exit/quit button with a confirmation dialog; that would be awsome.

Window transparency option

I think I'm one of the few, but I'm not a fan of transparent/translucent windows. Maybe in a future version you can control this window feature. A slider to control the percentage as we've seen in other RPGs. I'm guessing this suggestion isn't new.

Quit to the login

Be able to quit to the login screen, it would be useful.

Some not so simple suggestions ...

Skinnable Window Manager

I'm not even sure if the client has window manager per say, but I'm sure the art team could take advantage of such a feature and improve the look of the client by leaps and bounds.

Hotkeys Configuration

Have all the keys/key combinations configurable. Key select attack/walk/trade, sit/stand, window shortcut keys, et cetera. If the client ever supports first person perspective, directional keys. I think it would be a killer improvement. Again, probably a suggestion thats been mentioned before.

Client Side Automatic Updating

I'm pretty sure I saw something about this mentioned in the developer docs and a whole (3 month old) thread dedicated to the topic, but why it hasn't been implemented I have no clue. My guess is that it is quite hard to implement a patching system for multiple platforms. Perhaps a case of beer bounty would help in this getting done. :P

A big thanks to the dev/art/map teams and all the staff for all the work put into EL and for keeping it going. I can only give them praise. I excitedly wait for each release, thanks again.

The food disabled while eating one sounds like a good idea, having a reloading bar across the item like in many other games (OK so I can't name a single one atm) would be a lot better than that annoying message... Could it though make it easier to macro??

I've thought about the transparency option too.

I would like it like 50% darker than it is now... but still with the option to change, of course.

I can't even imagine the average user having any use to change all of the options currently.  Do I really need to be able to change the perspective view? Do I need to be able to control the pointer container types?  I think some of the advanced options can be stripped from the current configuration dialog, perhaps just leave them in the el.ini or make a seperate command accessible configuration dialog.  You'll probably save a bunch of time not doing support after users have changed options.

Some ppl like this some don't. Some setting are actually good to be able to make on the 'fly'

I make essences a lot, I probably use most of my time making them.  Getting "Can't use an item after another, you need at least 1 second before [re]using an item." when eating is tiresome.  If you could disable the item types from being used, and maybe make a timed (1 second) window shade rollup effect over all the items in inventory/quickbar, that would be very cool.  You could hide the error message from the main screen at least, perhaps keeping it in console and in a log.

Sounds good, but don't expect it to be a top priority.

A sit on harvest option

The ultimate indulgence option for me, I do the actions out of habit already, but this will save probably a week of my mouse's lifetime.

I don't understand this one, can you please exapnd a little further

A quit/exit button

I can't find the exit button if there is one anymore; it was a checkbox before I believe.  A simple exit/quit button with a confirmation dialog; that would be awsome.

Would be handy, but alt+x isn't that hard to do either.

I think I'm one of the few, but I'm not a fan of transparent/translucent windows.  Maybe in a future version you can control this window feature. A slider to control the percentage as we've seen in other RPGs.  I'm guessing this suggestion isn't new

Nice idea

Quit to the login

Not very, unless you are running multiple characters.

Skinnable Window Manager

I'm not even sure if the client has window manager per say, but I'm sure the art team could take advantage of such a feature and improve the look of the client by leaps and bounds.

The client code is open source

Hotkeys Configuration

Have all the keys/key combinations configurable.  Key select attack/walk/trade, sit/stand, window shortcut keys, et cetera.  If the client ever supports first person perspective, directional keys.  I think it would be a killer improvement.  Again, probably a suggestion thats been mentioned before.

You can do that in a file called key.ini located in your EL directory

I'm pretty sure I saw something about this mentioned in the developer docs and a whole (3 month old) thread dedicated to the topic, but why it hasn't been implemented I have no clue.  My guess is that it is quite hard to implement a patching system for multiple platforms.

That will come eventually

I make essences a lot, I probably use most of my time making them.  Getting "Can't use an item after another, you need at least 1 second before [re]using an item." when eating is tiresome.  If you could disable the item types from being used, and maybe make a timed (1 second) window shade rollup effect over all the items in inventory/quickbar, that would be very cool.  You could hide the error message from the main screen at least, perhaps keeping it in console and in a log.

Unfortunately, such information isn't really communicated to the client.

Skinnable Window Manager

The window manager could be skinned quite easily, though the 'X' would be unskinnable. (The side bars/window decorations could be skinned though.)

Hotkeys Configuration

Have all the keys/key combinations configurable.  Key select attack/walk/trade, sit/stand, window shortcut keys, et cetera.  If the client ever supports first person perspective, directional keys.  I think it would be a killer improvement.  Again, probably a suggestion thats been mentioned before.

See key.ini

Edited by crusadingknight

I thought I would add my voice to the mix.  I apologise in advance for suggestions that have been mentioned elsewhere before.  Comments are based on version 1.1.0
Nothing personal, this is pretty common lately, but this comment irks me. Seems to be the cop-out for not searching first, which is part of the rules in posting in the suggestions section of forums (see red band across top of page).

I can't even imagine the average user having any use to change all of the options currently.  Do I really need to be able to change the perspective view? Do I need to be able to control the pointer container types?  I think some of the advanced options can be stripped from the current configuration dialog, perhaps just leave them in the el.ini or make a seperate command accessible configuration dialog.  You'll probably save a bunch of time not doing support after users have changed options.

Lol we all fussed to finally get it this way -_- It did used to be pretty much all in the el.ini.

silly thing to waste time on, imo (yes I read the programming section :P ) The message never bothered me, but I have the patience to wait 1 second, too :P

A sit on harvest option

another silly thing to waste time on, one click to sit isn't a backbreaker

A quit/exit button

I can't find the exit button if there is one anymore; it was a checkbox before I believe.  A simple exit/quit button with a confirmation dialog; that would be awsome.

just click on the x on the top right of your screen, or alt+x. Simple.

I think I'm one of the few, but I'm not a fan of transparent/translucent windows.  Maybe in a future version you can control this window feature. A slider to control the percentage as we've seen in other RPGs.  I'm guessing this suggestion isn't new.

again, we all fussed to get more transparency.

Quit to the login

what derin said

Some not so simple suggestions ...

Skinnable Window Manager

What's wrong with how it looks now? :blink: The "art team" does a bang up job, we want to look like EL, not WoW or Ultima or whatever the game of the month is.

Hotkeys Configuration

we already have it

I'm pretty sure I saw something about this mentioned in the developer docs and a whole (3 month old) thread dedicated to the topic, but why it hasn't been implemented I have no clue.  My guess is that it is quite hard to implement a patching system for multiple platforms.  Perhaps a case of beer bounty would help in this getting done. :P

Still working on it, of course this would be desired :P

If you were to want to gauge the desire from your user base for a feature, you'll inevitably have posts with similar or exact feature requests. Its usually a good thing.

I noted when I saw suggestions posted elsewhere, searches aren't exact nor are they psychic and know what I'm thinking and give me appropriate results. I tried, I either got hundreds of unrelated posts or no posts at all, and noted which suggestions I saw that related although vaguely, my mistake for sure.

If you don't want suggestions, don't have a forum dedicated to them. If you don't want to hear them, delete them, delete the forum dedicated to them, it is misrepresentative.

I'll apologise a final time, this time for attempting to be helpful, trying to help something I've come to adore become better, I'll stick to game play where I seem to be an anonymous innocuous player.

Thank you to those who didn't simply dismiss my sill ideas.

check the programming forum.

entropy just put out a request for a feature added to the client.

basicly a timed shader that can be put over individual inventory items.

i think he wants to put idea 2 into action :icon13:

being able to access all the options is good. having them all available to the newest newbie when they have no idea what half the things are(and how many oldbies even knwo what the distance clipping is?) is bad. best solution: have an 'advanced' section of some sort. (something I've been thinking about for a while, so it's on my todo list)
A sit on harvest option

and using the manu window, yes. already on my todo list

I think I'm one of the few, but I'm not a fan of transparent/translucent windows.  Maybe in a future version you can control this window feature. A slider to control the percentage as we've seen in other RPGs.  I'm guessing this suggestion isn't new.

hmm. new to me. shouldn't be hard to do, I think. I'll have to look into it(don't expect performance boosts from not using transparancy though)

I'm pretty sure I saw something about this mentioned in the developer docs and a whole (3 month old) thread dedicated to the topic, but why it hasn't been implemented I have no clue.  My guess is that it is quite hard to implement a patching system for multiple platforms.  Perhaps a case of beer bounty would help in this getting done. :icon13:

200172[/snapback]

as i understand it, most of the work is already done, and just a bit left to be finished off. mind you, it's probably a case of downloading the entire changed file (not many file in ELC are big though, so that's not a problem) so no patching. using LZMA(aka 7zip) or even ZLIB for the downloads could help as far as speed.

I've looked at doing some work on it before, but there's other people on it already... and beer wouldn't help it get a higher priority here, i don't drink the stuff. eww!

If you don't want suggestions, don't have a forum dedicated to them.  If you don't want to hear them, delete them, delete the forum dedicated to them, it is misrepresentative.

I don't remember ever saying we don't want to hear suggestions. But you honestly can't expect that every person is going to always love every suggestion you might make.

I'll apologise a final time, this time for attempting to be helpful, trying to help something I've come to adore become better, I'll stick to game play where I seem to be an anonymous innocuous player.

Erm...I sent you a pm before I read all this, obviously you didn't read it yet? Speaking only for myself, my responses had absolutely nothing to do with not wanting you to be helpful and participate. And again, I am one person with one opinion, just like everyone else here. One man's fantasy button is another's silly idea. I hardly think thats grounds to pack up and go.

Thank you to those who didn't simply dismiss my sill ideas.

All I asked is that you be read up first :) You would see that ideas are debated and discussed all the time.

The food disabled while eating one sounds like a good idea, having a reloading bar across the item like in many other games (OK so I can't name a single one atm) would be a lot better than that annoying message... Could it though make it easier to macro??

200176[/snapback]

If your really worried about macroing you should note that the entire client package is open source.. no need to even have a display... you can just make a bot macro everything... that would be the easiest thing. You can already use the exisiting client api to eat every x minutes anyways.

I doubt that letting you eat yourself to death is going to encourage macro'ers who can just as easily drop it all.