Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ghrae

Perspective View Glitch

http://www.el-cel.com/Bug2.jpg

I have a Perspective view setting of 0.8 and a Near Plane Distance of 1.00 and got the following result when zooming in and out.

On a side note... the description of Near Plane Distance probably means quite a bit to the Devs, but means very little to the bulk of players. I think this may be the issue in the above pic, but am not sure.

Hehe. all we need to do is implement a first-person view and we would avoid people increasing their prespective so high. I run mine at .40 and that seems to be right, I can still see a little behind me and I can see the distance which is nice. Ive left the near plane distance alone. How difficult would it be to get a first-person view? I understand the holdup on this is that we render objects all around the character not just the way they are facing... Humm.

Hehe. all we need to do is implement a first-person view and we would avoid people increasing their prespective so high. I run mine at .40 and that seems to be right, I can still see a little behind me and I can see the distance which is nice.  Ive left the near plane distance alone.  How difficult would it be to get a first-person view?  I understand the holdup on this is that we render objects all around the character not just the way they are facing... Humm.

197489[/snapback]

Thats only part of the holdup. Another part is that the closer you get to a first person view, the more you see people, animals and monsters suddenly appear because you will NEVER be given information about people that are farther away then currently. As it is, we've had people file bug reports because they saw the bunnies on IP vanishing at the edge of the screen sometimes.

This also part of why super zoom was not permitted into the official client. Too many n00bs would get confused.

This also part of why super zoom was not permitted into the official client. Too many n00bs would get confused.

197492[/snapback]

I can sure understand turning off super zoom out. When you're way out critters/people pop in and out seemingly at random, and you get big black voids where the map isn't rendered, but...

Could we have a little more zoom out freedom than we do now? I'm not saying 10x or anything like what super zoom out was, but perhaps 2x what it is now just so you can see a bit more map around yourself.

please?

it's more work, but lets add the right solution... you can zoom out as far as you like (with adjusted clients) or crank up persective or use 1st person view... and it doesn't matter how far you can see, because:

you add a fog at the range you see people come in. people walk out of the fog towards you, whatever. and we don't have to load as much of the map, either, because of that fog (and a lot more map is loaded than the area we can see people in)

http://www.el-cel.com/Bug2.jpg

I have a Perspective view setting of 0.8 and a Near Plane Distance of 1.00 and got the following result when zooming in and out.

On a side note... the description of Near Plane Distance probably means quite a bit to the Devs, but means very little to the bulk of players.  I think this may be the issue in the above pic, but am not sure.

197431[/snapback]

If you take a hammer and hit the refrigerator door with it, is the refrigerator flawed because it was possible for you to hit it with the hammer and fuck it up?

Similarly, fucking around with the configuration stuff without knowing what you are doing will get you strange results.

I changed it to 2.5 on the Near Field and it seems to prevent the "bug".

Entropy, I was only letting you know that it existed. I'm sure there's some sort of balance between the two and thus there could be a programmed limit to the balance, preventing combinations that cause such bugs.

And no, I don't expect you or any of the devs to fix every possible such "bug", however, this is the bug forum. And just as soon as we don't report soemthing, it'll be something important that we SHOULD have reported.