Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duckyo

Help

Hi

when i go on the update page it comes up with somthing like you need to delete your previous EL folder can anyone help?

Save for example chat_log.txt.

Delete previous instalation of EL version 1.0.1.

Install version 1.1.0

Insert if you want chat_log.txt to EL root directory.

Run EL client.

Save for example chat_log.txt.

Delete previous instalation of EL version 1.0.1.

Install version 1.1.0

Insert if you want chat_log.txt to EL root directory.

Run EL client.

196760[/snapback]

ty i'm sure i'll work it out now

then i delete the folder?

1 click then press delete

please can someone give me the FULL instructions

Copy and paste your chat_log.txt and any other custom maps you may have in your folder to your desktop. Then delete your old EL folder. Then run the installer and install it at …/program files/eternal lands if your using windows. Then put the files on your desktop back in their appropriate location in the folder.

Copy and paste your chat_log.txt and any other custom maps you may have in your folder to your desktop. Then delete your old EL folder. Then run the installer and install it at …/program files/eternal lands if your using windows. Then put the files on your desktop back in their appropriate location in the folder.

196777[/snapback]

DO NOT KEEP YOUR CUSTOM MAPS!!! Lots of maps have changed and many bug reports we are getting is because people are using custom maps that are wrong!

Also, using custom 3D maps is not supported and techincally is a breach of the license and could be considered illegal. We do not support custom maps and if you have problems and are using custom maps or clients, test with the official client before filing any bug reports.

DO NOT KEEP YOUR CUSTOM MAPS!!! Lots of maps have changed and many bug reports we are getting is because people are using custom maps that are wrong!

I am unclear what is meant by "custom map". Are you talking about .bmp files that ppl have created of things like the inside of caves? If not, can they still be used?

Are you talking about the custom waypoints lists, which I believe are .elm.txt files? If not, can these be copied over to the root directory and used?

If neither of these, then what?

Another way of asking this is: Are there any resouces that are preservable from the old client other than the chat log?

Thanks

scafativ

Yea, I can understand why the old main maps couldn't be used anymore, but what about those for hell, or cc, or any of the cave maps?

I am unclear what is meant by "custom map".  Are you talking about .bmp files that ppl have created of things like the inside of caves?  If not, can they still be used?

196789[/snapback]

A custom map is exactly that. Most maps have new features and things, so keeping and using such maps might be problematic.

We strongly advice you to use the maps that comes with the official client.

Maps for UW, CC and such are to be used at your own risk

Edited by Derin

A custom map is exactly that. Most maps have new features and things, so keeping and using such maps might be problematic.

We strongly advice you to use the maps that comes with the official client.

Maps for UW, CC and such are to be used at your own risk

196799[/snapback]

those are the ones i meant for, the caves, crystal caves especially, underworld, portals room, catacombs, that kind of thing.

Much confusion has been caused by people using the phrase custom maps. When people say that you should save your custom maps they mean the .bmp files (tab maps). They will not be 100% accurate but they can still be used. What learner is talking about is the .elm files in the maps directory. If you overwrite new .elm files with the old ones you will cause problems like not being able to leave IP or harvest. The .elm.txt files can be copied over to the new directory without messing anything up. They contain the map marks (green Xs and writing on the tab maps). Hope this clears things up for people

Much confusion has been caused by people using the phrase custom maps.  When people say that you should save your custom maps they mean the .bmp files (tab maps). They will not be 100% accurate but they can still be used.  What learner is talking about is the .elm files in the maps directory. If you overwrite new .elm files with the old ones you will cause problems like not being able to leave IP or harvest.  The .elm.txt files can be copied over to the new directory without messing anything up.  They contain the map marks (green Xs and writing on the tab maps).  Hope this clears things up for people

196858[/snapback]

It surely does! That was a GREAT answer to a carefully asked question. Thank you SO much.

Edited by scafativ

The .elm.txt files can be copied over to the new directory without messing anything up.  They contain the map marks (green Xs and writing on the tab maps).

196858[/snapback]

Where are the marks saved for the linux client?

I cant find such a file AND i still have my old marks on the map but didnt copy over any of the old el files :/

Where are the marks saved for the linux client?

I cant find such a file AND i still have my old marks on the map but didnt copy over any of the old el files :/

197077[/snapback]

in ~/.elc/ no doubt... especially since you still have them (and your el.ini and el.cfg and chat_log and whatever else is saved there)

Thank you very much. I didnt know about the .elc folder :D

197084[/snapback]

lots of people don't. it's a big problem when they go to edit el.ini and it doesn't take effect (the new config window in-game should help with this though)