Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tumaros

Thought-Provoker

Yeah, so everyone probably knows about this already, bear with me, I'm a little behind the times...but...

http://www.devmaster.net/articles/mmorpg-p...ortem/part1.php

Worth reading through...parts III and IV especially made me think a little bit about how I react to things... :P

Tum, thanks a lot for the link! It's definately worth reading! First thought: wow! lots of text! and ehrm... it's almost 1am already, with a new working day coming up soon... But soon after having read a few lines, I kept on reading, it fascinates from begin to end.

Now I've read all four parts, and while reading I tried to recall my own feelings and thoughts with the changes and events described in Radu's articles. Not many really new things, Radu's open-heartedness with the community never kept much of his view on the matter hidden, but a lot of those big dots got connected by the personal feelings, by the chronology of problems and the resulting decisions to get things fixed, and by small background details. Although, imo, Radu often had let his mood be affected too much by the non-constructive criticism, I've always admired his interaction, this open-heartedness with the community. (And I do realize it's very necessary to listen to opposite opinions, and that it's very hard to draw the line between constructive flames and less-than-negative criticism...)

Before having read these articles I already had, but by reading them I've become aware again of having the deepest respect for Radu, for his determination to make this great, unique game with its very unique community! Of course he couldn't have done it with the great input from Roja, Moonshadow, Cicero, Learner, Wytter, Grum, Umrion and I shouldn't have started a list because you always forget people... but anyway, thanx all!

I think i've read (some) of that article before. Its nice to know what REALLY went on (I joined the game in Jan. 2004) before I started.

One thing remains though, we still have the game and a decent playerbase :P

I am just trying to work out when I first joined this. I do rember the big crash, and actually the wipe as well. So I joined a lot earlier than I thought I did. Wow I have been playing for a while. Still rember tuturial isle (I personally liked it, but then I aint a go out and kill player) and the rumours of the wipe, followed by the crash. I admit that I did leave after that but even after months of trying to find a game to replace this, I can't! While at uni my connection was so bad that I couldn't play EL, and so I looked for other again. No luck. Now I am back, bigger and better than before in a game much the same. I know a lot of other people who are addicted to this game so here is to it continuing, getting better as it goes.

great link, dude! #2 best thing ive read all week :)